Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Doomed to have slow internet? :(

This is a discussion on Doomed to have slow internet? :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Scubbie - thanks for looking into it. Apologies - I'm not right in Runcorn. My exchange is Manor Park SamKnows ...

kl1k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Doomed to have slow internet? :(

Scubbie - thanks for looking into it. Apologies - I'm not right in Runcorn. My exchange is Manor Park

SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Manor Park (LVMPK) Exchange

[SIZE=4.5]BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER[/SIZE]
      Telephone Number ...... on Exchange MANOR PARK is served by Cabinet 9
      Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
      ADSL Max Up to 4 -- 3 to 7 Available
      Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Ouch!

Ok, until you get FTTC installed in your area (predicted to be 2014 judging from SamKnows, but it could be 2015 if it is delayed) you are going to be stuck with ADSL speeds. Sadly 21CN is not eve available, ruling out ADSL2+ speeds with any other provider.

ADSL Max is available. Provided that PlusNet or someone else can supply this, you could get speeds upto 12mb I believe.

In the longer term you could sign up to SFU or SFUP. You don't need to have Sky's LLU kit in the exchange to be able to benefit from one of Sky's current Fibre products. They hook it up to the main exchange where it is then passed on to Sky's network.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

kl1k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'd be happy with 6Mbps if I got the full speed.

Just spent the last hour on the phone to Sky - confirmed I am on Connect and have a limit of 40GB otherwise throttling kicks in. This explains why I'm having problems.

They don't offer unlimited so am cancelling and moving to BT Unlimited or plusnet. Once and if fibre gets rolled out I could look at moving back to them. Been very happy with Sky so far so if they dont offer it then what can you do. All BT's fault

From looking at the exchange stats - its a pretty small exchange

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

No worries.

Two things to watch for though:

1. Ideally you shouldn't cancel Sky first. This will cause problems when trying to get a new provider
      2. Many contracts are now 18 months. Do take a careful look and consider what you may do when FTTC becomes available

Of course the estimated time is definitely no guarantee to getting FTTC enabled in the exchange this year, not is it any guarantee that your cabinet will be served by a suitable Fibre cabinet. If possible check things out and perhaps consider chatting with some of your new neighbours.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As you are on a BT only exchange, you must leave using the MAC process or you are liable to be charged a connection fee by your new provider. When you decide where to go, ask Sky for a MAC and give this to your chosen provider. When you ask for the MAC do not even mention 'cancel' or you are liable to be cut off immediately. The cancellation will be done by the new provider and you will be charged by Sky up to that date. As Sky is paid in advance, you may even get a refund or credit.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12