Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Internet Dropout.

This is a discussion on Internet Dropout. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Exhausted all options here I have the white Sky Hub SR101 everything until today was fine, the setup is all ...

divybc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Internet Dropout.

Exhausted all options here I have the white Sky Hub SR101 everything until today was fine, the setup is all good. I've tried over 4 ADSL filters and switched routers with a replacement. It doesn't matter what I do the internet still cuts out when the home phone is in use whether it be incoming or outgoing.

Last resort, is it worth buying a new phone to test? Can that really be the problem. If not what should I do? I called 17070 and it said there is no echo and my line is very quiet.

Please help, this is getting really annoying.

Thank you!

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Internet Dropout.

Doubt it is your phone which is at fault though if you can borrow one to try then you'd at least be able to rule that out. You've already ruled out the most obvious cause (faulty filters). Just checking a couple of other things - is your router connected to the master socket and what other devices have a connection to your phone line e.g. Sky box - and they are filtered?

If that's all fine, give Sky a call and they will run some tests on your line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Doubt it is your phone which is at fault though if you can borrow one to try then you'd at least be able to rule that out. You've already ruled out the most obvious cause (faulty filters). Just checking a couple of other things - is your router connected to the master socket and what other devices have a connection to your phone line e.g. Sky box - and they are filtered?

If that's all fine, give Sky a call and they will run some tests on your line.
      It's in the test socket, there is only this one telephone line in the house. I've got sky boxes but they are all set up properly. Even tried removing them and testing, still the same.

I phoned sky they just told me to try new filters said to leave it for a few days then call up. Can't get my head around this at all.

P.S. They ran all the line test etc and called me on the mobile, seems all is fine. I'm baffled, do they expect me just to suffer? Confused as what to do from here on out.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Assuming the filters are 100% OK it will be a line fault. You need an OR engineer to stick his JDSU meter on the line & then ring your number. You should see the line start to error. Getting a decent OR enibeer that understands the fault will be the hardest part. It took me 18 months!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by divybc View Post
      It's in the test socket, there is only this one telephone line in the house. I've got sky boxes but they are all set up properly.
      That has me a little confused. If the router is in the test socket then the faceplate will have been removed to access it, so disconnecting any extensions. You say Sky boxes (plural), so I assume multiroom which will need a phone connection and you did say you disconnected them to test. So how are they connected? Into the test socket too? Or do you really mean master socket?

So, to be clear: doubtful it's your phone, probably not your wiring (subject to the above query and effective filtering), which leaves a line fault as the most obvious cause of your problem.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just to clear up any confusion this link will show the Master and Test socket. Where are you plugged in?
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

That has me a little confused. If the router is in the test socket then the faceplate will have been removed to access it, so disconnecting any extensions. You say Sky boxes (plural), so I assume multiroom which will need a phone connection and you did say you disconnected them to test. So how are they connected? Into the test socket too? Or do you really mean master socket?

So, to be clear: doubtful it's your phone, probably not your wiring (subject to the above query and effective filtering), which leaves a line fault as the most obvious cause of your problem.

Hello there, sorry for confusing you. I'll elaborate!

I am in the test socket. The Faceplate is off and I am in the socket behind that.

I have tried new microfilters and had a new router.

They arranged for an engineer but I cancelled it because I don't wan't to risk being charged. On talk talk I was charged 130 pound for an engineer visit and I'm fully aware of how it all works! If it's within the property I'm liable but it wasn't so I ain't going through that again.

Basically when I go on the phone my SNR drops like this

Then when I get off the phone it goes to this

Sometimes it will drop that low that is causes a disconnect and that is obviously where the issue lies.

Any strong ideas what it could be? Also as a side note they have passed it to their network team who deal with the equipment at the exchange but my question is, when they go to the exchange, could it be a fault there by the sounds of it?

I'm not very experience in the whole big picture of this so that's why so many questions, sorry.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Any strong ideas what it could be?
      You've ruled out it being a router or filter failure as you've substituted these and still get the problem. This logically leaves two likely options.

The first is that you have a line fault i.e a problem at the exchange/cabinet/line.

The second is that you have a problem your side of the master socket. Now you say you have the router plugged into the test socket (which removes fixed extensions from the equation) but you also say that you have the problem when using the phone. So, for clarity, can you confirm you have a filter plugged into the test socket and both the router and your phone are plugged into that? What about your Sky boxes? Are you using a splitter too?

Assuming no to the splitter and you just have phone and router into a filter then test socket (not ideal by the way) then it's looking like a line fault to me though I obviously can't say it is 100% that.

I doubt you would be charged by Sky for an engineer visit in the circumstances you describe. If you were then I think you should be able to complain and get the charge removed. If you want to be extra safe then try and borrow another phone to eliminate that small chance and also swap your router cable as you must have a spare with the new router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

You've ruled out it being a router or filter failure as you've substituted these and still get the problem. This logically leaves two likely options.

The first is that you have a line fault i.e a problem at the exchange/cabinet/line.

The second is that you have a problem your side of the master socket. Now you say you have the router plugged into the test socket (which removes fixed extensions from the equation) but you also say that you have the problem when using the phone. So, for clarity, can you confirm you have a filter plugged into the test socket and both the router and your phone are plugged into that? What about your Sky boxes? Are you using a splitter too?

Assuming no to the splitter and you just have phone and router into a filter then test socket (not ideal by the way) then it's looking like a line fault to me though I obviously can't say it is 100% that.

I doubt you would be charged by Sky for an engineer visit in the circumstances you describe. If you were then I think you should be able to complain and get the charge removed. If you want to be extra safe then try and borrow another phone to eliminate that small chance and also swap your router cable as you must have a spare with the new router.
      "(not ideal by the way) " You say this, why?

Yes it is just the phone and adsl into the mircrofilter then into the test socket.

I'll see what they say with these people they have passed it up to which is the people who work with the exchange they say. The guy on the phone said they'll go out to the exchange for sure. I'm hoping that they fix it there and then, if not I'm in a bad situation. It's so inconsistent thou... I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Exchange:
      Thanks

"(not ideal by the way) " You say this, why?
      It's not robust i.e. any movement of the filter or cable will put a strain on the test socket which isn't designed for that. The faceplate socket is more robust and if damaged a new faceplate can be easily fitted. If the test socket is damaged then it needs a whole new fitting which legally requires BT to fit it as the back part is theirs (though many people ignore this).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturday For This Useful Post:

divybc (11-05-14)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast