Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Internet Dropout.

This is a discussion on Internet Dropout. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; One thing is still bothering me, which you've not answered - how your Sky boxes are/were connected? Do you have ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Internet Dropout.

One thing is still bothering me, which you've not answered - how your Sky boxes are/were connected?

Do you have extensions in the house? If you do, it may be worth checking that your master socket has been wired properly. With the faceplate removed, this should disconnect any extensions. However, it's not unknown for the wiring to be incorrect. So, take your phone to any extensions, plug in and see if you get a dial tone. If you do and the master faceplate is off, that indicates your master is incorrectly wired.

Just a thought and probably not an issue but thought it worth checking.

2. Advertisement
      divybc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      One thing is still bothering me, which you've not answered - how your Sky boxes are/were connected?

Do you have extensions in the house? If you do, it may be worth checking that your master socket has been wired properly. With the faceplate removed, this should disconnect any extensions. However, it's not unknown for the wiring to be incorrect. So, take your phone to any extensions, plug in and see if you get a dial tone. If you do and the master faceplate is off, that indicates your master is incorrectly wired.

Just a thought and probably not an issue but thought it worth checking.
      I only have the one telephone socket in the house and that is the master.

The sky boxes where connected via a filter type thing connected into the phone section of the adsl filter...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

On the face of it, it looks like a filter problem. What I would advise is buying and fitting a Mk.2 vDSL filter. This will not only filter out the phone but help with interference coming from the main line. Even if it does not cure your problem it will help stabilise your line, which being fairly long could probably do with it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      On the face of it, it looks like a filter problem. What I would advise is buying and fitting a Mk.2 vDSL filter. This will not only filter out the phone but help with interference coming from the main line. Even if it does not cure your problem it will help stabilise your line, which being fairly long could probably do with it.
      Doesn't that require me like rewiring? I'm not too confident I should do that, I'd rather an expert do this for me legally if so.

Could you explain the process to me if you don't mind?

Right now this is what I've got.. http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/image...randednte5.JPG
      Last edited by divybc; 12-05-14 at 08:24 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

As Isitme says, the obvious explanation is a filter problem. However, you say earlier that you've tried 4 different ADSL filters with the same result. Seems unlikely they would all be faulty but it's possible I guess. We've also established that there are no unfiltered devices and you have no extensions in the house.

To answer your question, fitting the new vDSL faceplate doesn't require any rewiring and is perfectly legal as it doesn't require doing anything to the BT side of the socket. All you have to do is undo the current faceplate (which you've already done) put the new faceplate in place and then screw the old faceplate back on top.

Exchange:
      Thanks

As Isitme says, the obvious explanation is a filter problem. However, you say earlier that you've tried 4 different ADSL filters with the same result. Seems unlikely they would all be faulty but it's possible I guess. We've also established that there are no unfiltered devices and you have no extensions in the house.

To answer your question, fitting the new vDSL faceplate doesn't require any rewiring and is perfectly legal as it doesn't require doing anything to the BT side of the socket. All you have to do is undo the current faceplate (which you've already done) put the new faceplate in place and then screw the old faceplate back on top.
      Thanks I'll have to get myself one of these next week then - Is this the correct one I'm looking for? GENUINE BT NTE5 vDSL Filtered Faceplate|Openreach&#8482 Branded

Also Isitme states that it would help me with stability coz my line is so long, is this the case? Also would it benefit and ADSL user such as myself seeing as these are for Fibre?

Thanks for all the answers, really helpful guys you lot are!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, that's the one.

It won't cure your problem unless it turns out that all four filters you tried are faulty. However, it's not a huge cost so I'd advise going for it on the off chance and there may be some benefits to your connection once the problem, whatever it is, is rectified.

To recap:

• We've established you have just one BT socket (an NTE5) with no extensions.
      • You have this problem whether in the front socket or the test socket.
      • We've established there are no unfiltered devices attached.
      • You have the problem with 4 different filters.

On the balance of probability this suggests a line/exchange fault as most likely with a faulty phone or faulty filters as least likely.

You say you are worried about the cost of an engineer visit. In my view (and it's only a view) a charge is unlikely as, apart from the phone*, there's nothing you have responsibility for that can be the cause e.g. if it turns out to be filter problem then I think you could reasonably claim as Sky provided them they are responsible. But yes, there is a risk. However, you have to get this fixed so an engineer visit seems inevitable to me. If you do end up with an engineer visit and you haven't already bought and fitted a vDSL plate, ask the engineer nicely and chances are you'll get one fitted for free.

* if you want to be safe, borrow or buy a new phone (5 from many outlets e.g. Argos)
      Last edited by Saturday; 12-05-14 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added info

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, that's the one.

It won't cure your problem unless it turns out that all four filters you tried are faulty. However, it's not a huge cost so I'd advise going for it on the off chance and there may be some benefits to your connection once the problem, whatever it is, is rectified.

To recap:

• We've established you have just one BT socket (an NTE5) with no extensions.
      • You have this problem whether in the front socket or the test socket.
      • We've established there are no unfiltered devices attached.
      • You have the problem with 4 different filters.

On the balance of probability this suggests a line/exchange fault as most likely with a faulty phone or faulty filters as least likely.

You say you are worried about the cost of an engineer visit. In my view (and it's only a view) a charge is unlikely as, apart from the phone*, there's nothing you have responsibility for that can be the cause e.g. if it turns out to be filter problem then I think you could reasonably claim as Sky provided them they are responsible. But yes, there is a risk. However, you have to get this fixed so an engineer visit seems inevitable to me. If you do end up with an engineer visit and you haven't already bought and fitted a vDSL plate, ask the engineer nicely and chances are you'll get one fitted for free.

* if you want to be safe, borrow or buy a new phone (5 from many outlets e.g. Argos)
      Well its away to the Network Operation Centre at this moment so that will take a 4 day turnaround. Until then I guess I'll just wait and they should advise further if I'm not wrong. That being said if it comes to it they should be arranging an engineer for me if they haven't resolved it themselves after the 4 days.

I'll buy a cheap phone to be safe but like you I seriously doubt the phone is causing this. As for the vDSL plate if and when they arrange an engineer I'll be sure to ask nicely!

Thanks for the info.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The big advantage of the Mk2 vDSL plate is that it has a built in RF filter which will help with REIN* interference on your line. Make sure you get a Mk2 as the original plate does not incorporate this filter. The one you linked is ideal, some of those selling cheaper on eBay do contain this filter.

*Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The big advantage of the Mk2 vDSL plate is that it has a built in RF filter which will help with REIN* interference on your line. Make sure you get a Mk2 as the original plate does not incorporate this filter. The one you linked is ideal, some of those selling cheaper on eBay do contain this filter.

*Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise
      Alrite I ordered myself one of these as it was fairly cheap anyway. Lets hope it's worth it and I see an improvement! I'm hoping its here for tomorrow as its 1st class recorded.

I'd just like to mention it seems that when I make calls it seems to drop the SNR from 7 to 6 but when I receive calls it goes from 7 to about 3/4. It's a very weird thing but I'm hoping it's going to be solved with this filter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast