Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unable to connect

This is a discussion on Unable to connect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been unable to connect to sky broadband. I set up my sky broadband box and the netgear wireless ...

picosanchez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unable to connect

I have been unable to connect to sky broadband.
      I set up my sky broadband box and the netgear wireless adapter WG111T provided by sky yesterday. I followed all the instructions and all the green lights on the broadband box are on but the wireless adapter is unable to connect to the broadband box. The blue light on the wireless adapter is flashing showing that it is searching for a network. On network dial up connections in windows it says that the LAN network cable is unplugged (obviously as the wireless adapter is unconnected).
      I have also typed in 192.168.0.1 in internet explorer.
      On the netgear adapter smart wizard when I click on find a network it cannot find any networks. I have tried typing in my SSID in the smart wizard where it asks for Network Name, but that doesn't help. I have also tried typing in the network key next to the WPA-PSK option in the netgear option.I also tried setting the IP address for this Local area connection as 192.168.0.5
      The subnet mask as 255.255.255.0
      The default gateway as 192.168.0.1
      Sky BB Primary DNS server as 87.86.189.16
      and either 212.135.1.36 or 195.40.1.36 as secondary.
      When i rebooted the netgear adapter was no longer working properly so I changed the setting back to obtain Ip address automatically etc.
      I have also typed in the network key address in the internet explorer/tools internet options/connections/ LAN settings section where it says use automatic configuration script.
      None of this has worked.
      I was on the phone with sky for 1.5 hrs today and they didn't manage to help me figure out why I can't connect.
      does anyone have any idea why my wireless adapter is unable to connect to the broadband box.
      I am using windows 2000 service pack 4. i do not have an ethernet port so I have to use the wireless adapter.
      Could my computer be missing anything or have I not done something?
      I'd be grateful for any help or advice.
      thanks

2. Advertisement
      The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      You realy need to try disabling security etc but you cant unless you can log into the router, does windows 2000 support wpa psk, I though it needed a supplicant.

Unless you have access to another pc to change the security on the router perhaps buying a nic card at 3 would be the best bet.

picosanchez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theg33k View Post
      You realy need to try disabling security etc but you cant unless you can log into the router, does windows 2000 support wpa psk, I though it needed a supplicant.

Unless you have access to another pc to change the security on the router perhaps buying a nic card at 3 would be the best bet.
      Thank you for telling me that, I had no idea and I wasted lots of time trying to figure out what was wrong. The people at sky didn't tell me that either.
      I'm not too familiar with pc's so I just wanted to ask a few things. what is the windows 2000 supplicant and how do i get it? will that do what I require or is it better to get an nic card?
      where can i get an nic card for 3 pounds?
      If I still want to have wpa psk security do i need to have windows xp or would getting an nic card or the supplicant allow me to have the same level of security?
      many thanks in advance

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      hey mate the windows 2000 supplicant usualy costs cash some drivers are doing microsofts work and implementing wpa in them but dont beleave the wg111t drivers do it for windows 2000.

network car can be had here the 3 are sold out this is the next best cheapo one. its the easiest sollution just plug it in connect to router change to wep and your sorted

http://www.ebuyer.com:80/UK/product/...rb/22741011944