Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection dropping out constantly

This is a discussion on Connection dropping out constantly within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I signed up with sky BB over a year ago and all was working great until Easter weekend when ...

JFL
      JFL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connection dropping out constantly

Hi

I signed up with sky BB over a year ago and all was working great until Easter weekend when I started to get frequent dropouts, without having changed anything in my setup or internal wiring. These dropouts are continuing making the internet almost unusable, the internet light on my hub goes out altogether or is yellow/flashing yellow when the connection is down. I have been through all the help articles for this on sky's website to no avail... meaning I've checked all connections, rebooted the router, looked for a test socket to check (have none), replaced the microfilter, and still get dropouts every few minutes or so.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or what I should do? I have BB unlimited with the white sky hub. It's very strange because before easter weekend I never had any problems with it but it's just been horrible since. When the connection is up, speeds are fine (normal), but it's the dropouts that are the problem. And my exchange is reportedly fine, and telephone sounds ok.

Thanks

P.S. sky did a line test when I called them about this on 27 april which I think was fine, although they were able to see the dropouts in their system. Just thought I'd enquire here before following up with them and likely incurring costs for an engineer visit without having any idea what needs doing/checking.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Connection dropping out constantly

If the fault is external to your master socket, you will not be charged. As you do not have a test socket the only way to check is to disconnect everything your have connected to the phone line, then plug in a filter and the router, using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky. No trailing phone extensions. See if the router holds its connection and take its stats for comparison with your normal position.

You should also plug a corded phone into the master socket and check for line noise. Dial one digit and listen, you should hear nothing but maybe a very faint hum. Anything more should be reported to your phone rental provider as a noisy line.

Another test you can do is bring up the router stats, then make a phone call. If the noise margin jumps up when you make the call, this indicates a high resistance fault which should be reported to your phone provider.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

JFL (03-05-14)

JFL
      JFL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thanks I will try those things. I had replaced the grey ADSL cable provided by sky with a similar black one I have as part of trying to fix this but will put the grey one back as I don't think it's that.

I suspect it will prove to be an external line problem. When you say I won't be charged, would sky therefore be responsible for fixing it?

My phone line rental is also with sky, so if its a high resistance fault then would the same apply?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If your rental is with Sky then they are responsible for the maintenance of the line. They will direct BTO to fix the fault, as they do the actual work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

JFL (05-05-14)