Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speed test by easynet/sky?

This is a discussion on Speed test by easynet/sky? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Does anyone know where a reliable speed test of what my estimated speed should be? The reason is my Sky ...

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed test by easynet/sky?

Does anyone know where a reliable speed test of what my estimated speed should be?
      The reason is my Sky service is slow, unreliable and capped to 6meg on ADSL, the reason Sky say is because of the test they did when I joined, so they capped it to that.
      Now I know this is false as I had 12 meg from Bulldog last year and from the same exchange.
      Connection Speed 6105 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.0 db 20.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.7 db 12.0 db
      You are on the Isleworth exchange.

"You are around 1.63 kilometres from your exchange (as the crow flies).
      or can anyone say for def what I should be able to get from my stats?"
      (from http://www.dslzoneuk.net/distance.php?)

Really appreciate any help I am desperate to get this sorted. I had a chat with Sky technical who said they can't help.

2. Advertisement
      The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      6.7 is about as low as you want to go any higher sync speed and it will drop further and you will more than likely get disconects, try it in the master socket if it isnt already and if your noise margin goes up about 2db they may be able to squeeze another 1mb out of your line.

tinx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham Carfax SDHRSHM
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      As a point of reference my Attenuation is 49.5 and I have a sync speed a 7500ish with a similar noise margin but I have a filtered face plate on my main BT socket.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theg33k View Post
      6.7 is about as low as you want to go any higher sync speed and it will drop further and you will more than likely get disconects, try it in the master socket if it isnt already and if your noise margin goes up about 2db they may be able to squeeze another 1mb out of your line.
      ahh so it's all about getting that noise margin up as high as poss, well pluggin it into the master socket does bring it up
      Connection Speed 5526 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.0 db 20.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 12.0 db

but con speed is lower! I don't understand why its so low

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomish View Post
      ahh so it's all about getting that noise margin up as high as poss, well pluggin it into the master socket does bring it up
      Connection Speed 5526 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.0 db 20.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 12.0 db

but con speed is lower! I don't understand why its so low
      OMG I did some researching by disconnecting the master socket face place and plugging in direct and got this
      Connection Speed 7645 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.5 db 20.4 db
      Noise Margin 15.3 db 12.5 db

What should I get with this noise margin???? it's nearly double! It turns out it's the long extension that I had installed. I shall try disconnecting it and plugging the phones back in to see if it lowers the noise margin.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

some more tests, ok I get the above results with no phone attached.
      Line Attenuation 34.5 db 20.4 db
      Noise Margin 13.7 db 12.5 db
      with the Sky+ box attched or the phone or both, so I loose about 1.5 dB with them plugged in. Then I wondered what if I tried a different adsl filter! -
      no real change

I then tried daisy chaining another adsl filter leaving the router plugged into the first and the phone in the second.
      Line Attenuation 34.5 db 20.3 db
      Noise Margin 14.9 db 12.5 db
      I gain 1.2 dB!

I tried yet another filter! so three filters plugged into the master socket )(face plate off) router int he first filter, phone and sky+ plugged into third filter
      Noise Margin 15.1 db 12.5 db
      I gained another .2dB

I had one more adsl filter so I thought what the hell
      Noise Margin 15.2 db 12.5 db
      another .1dB
      in fact after another 20 mins or so it rose to 15.3 so it was the same as the phone not even being plugged in.
      so now it's only loosing .1dB with the phone plugged in.

As I'm an audio engineer I could only think the filter was some kind of noise reduction system like a high pass filter or comb and I had some spare filters from unplugging the extension, and the stronger the filter the betteras long as it didnt affect the phone, I did keep checking if the phone was affected and it seems to be working fine. I have radio phones with remote base statiosn so I don't even need the extension it was only to get the router near the computer, I have nicked my Xbox ethernet cable to get it to the computer now, but thats ok as I can plug the xbox into the router anyhow or get a wireless!

Now the big question is with this new figures will sky wind up my connection speed and how high can it go. The last guy I spoke to told me I was on ADSL1 so hopefully this will enable me to get back on the 2.

thanks for the post post theggk, it was you how gave me the clue as to the problem.

fubofo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: NTL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hey Boomish, firstly you shouldnt need more than one microfilter on the line and yes the microfilter is a kind of filter. It is a low-pass filter which "seperates" the analog signal (telephone) and the DSL (broadband) signal. As for the setup of your cables, you should have the microfilter plugged DIRECTLY into you master socket, with your telephone and router connected from that. As for extensions, try not to use any on the router side, standard RJ-11 (telephone) cables usually only support DSL up to around 10M whereas RJ-45 (Ethernet) can support around 320M without loss/drop of DSL signal. Hope this helps.

As for your ADSL2, certainly contact SKY and tell them about the extension you had on your line and infrom them you have done some tests and your speed has now arisen, ask them to put you back on to Max and at least for a few days and see what you can get.

Thanks
      hey mate sorry took so long to get back to you, thats a fantastic increas from 6 to 15 sounds to me like you have cracked it. You are getting those results while using the test socket so perhaps poppin in and taking a look at the faceplate and cabling section with regards to faceplates with filters in.

then you can get back on the max with some nice speeds and a nice db figure of around 10

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by theg33k View Post
      hey mate sorry took so long to get back to you, thats a fantastic increas from 6 to 15 sounds to me like you have cracked it. You are getting those results while using the test socket so perhaps poppin in and taking a look at the faceplate and cabling section with regards to faceplates with filters in.

then you can get back on the max with some nice speeds and a nice db figure of around 10
      thanks for the post theg33k, yea I did put the face plate back on, after disconnecting the dam extension so all good news here.

my fastest results so far, whoo so happy, you won't believe how slow it was to use the net before, feels like a new machine now...

And thanks fubofo well I had a guess it was some kind of low/high pass filter and sorry to say but daisy chaining them does make a difference the results speak for themselves, I spent some time trying it all out, hey if it gives me that extra 1.5 dB and that gives me an extra meg I'll take it. I'm only gona shove the filters in a drawer and it's all hidden inside a cupboard so can't even see em.
      Max here I come....

Thanks
      lol the daisy chain idea is classic, get a pic of them all linked up
      plus it makes a diffrence which is also a bonus, good to see its all sorted now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast