Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I am losing my mind with this...

This is a discussion on I am losing my mind with this... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello again all, This is really, really, testing my patience. I've given Sky a chance, but I'm about to lose ...

GunForHire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am losing my mind with this...

Hello again all,

This is really, really, testing my patience. I've given Sky a chance, but I'm about to lose it with this. My connection is all over the place - despite claiming to be connected at over 4Mb/s, it displays some very strange behavior. Some websites, such as this one, run like lightning, but many others just keep timing out.

I've tried loads of stuff to try and sort the problem but nothing's worked. I've even tried connecting using a different router, but to no avail.

I just can't work out what could be causing this. I'm thinking this is a problem on Sky's end, perhaps to do with the DNS servers or something, which would explain why some sites work perfectly fine and others don't. Anyway, if anyone can suggest anything that would help here it'd be really appreciated. Stats for my connection are attached to this post.

Also, note that in that shot, the connection speed is below 4Mbs. For some reason, every time my router connects, the speed varies by a couple hundred kb/s.

Anyway, as I was saying, any help on this would be really appreciated, because this is causing me no end of frustration.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am losing my mind with this...-stats.jpg  
      Last edited by GunForHire; 29-10-06 at 09:33 PM.

2. Advertisement
      The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      First off your downstream noise margin is too low it should be aiming for at least 7db so sounds like your not in the master socket or you have a line not that cant handle the 4mb, with sites not loading, have you tried manualy settings a dns server ?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theg33k View Post
      First off your downstream noise margin is too low it should be aiming for at least 7db so sounds like your not in the master socket or you have a line not that cant handle the 4mb, with sites not loading, have you tried manualy settings a dns server ?
      No, the router isn't in the master socket, it's right at the other end of the house so it isn't practical for me to use it. As for the DNS servers, I haven't tried that yet, as I'm not sure how

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      No problem mate I know how u feel when its so far away. its just with the low noise you would probably benifit massivly and would allow us to determin if its the socket thats the issue. perhaps if u get a spare few hours you could try. as for dns try settings this manual 87.86.189.16

Right your lan connection in network connections.
      once opend select tc/ip from the list on general page and press properties
      click the radial for use the follow dns

put in the preferd dns server and as an alternate use this 212.135.1.36
      then click okay.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for the help so far theg33k, much appreciated. Unfortunately I'm back at university now so I can't try your suggestion until the weekend. Still, I'll give it a go when I get home and let you know what happens.