Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By RUNITDIRECT
    • 1 Post By martin.sadler

Scam Calls Telling Me There's A Problem With My Computer

This is a discussion on Scam Calls Telling Me There's A Problem With My Computer within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; THREE Times today, and once yesterday we received a call from an Indian guy telling us that there was a ...

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Scam Calls Telling Me There's A Problem With My Computer

THREE Times today, and once yesterday we received a call from an Indian guy telling us that there was a problem with our computer and to log on...

Does Sky know about/aware of this?

How do they get the information to call? Or is it completely random

I told my father to tell them we haven't got a computer.

But he speaks to them, when they ask him to turn on the computer he just leaves the phone off the hook.

After about 5 minutes the caller hangs up..

You'd think they'd get the message...

I take it there is no way of them hacking the router or my computer when they call?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Scam Calls Telling Me There's A Problem With My Computer

I would suggest that you report it to the Police.

These people have successfully scammed £thousands from the unwary already.

Basically what they do is to get you to download some rouge software which allows them access to your computer. They can then lock it down, take control and make you pay to get it all back.

Alternatively they pretend to clean it up and then charge to lots of dosh to install their so-called AV software.

You have done the right thing so far by not letting them have any access to your computer by installing the software.

This is one such story, there are many others circulating:
      BBC News - Today - How to spot PC virus scam

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

wolfiebrian (26-04-14)

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have my doubts as to whether the Police would be interested! worth a go I suppose, most of these calls come from outside the country and there dosent seem to be much anyone can do about it. I have had a few they seem to be totally random, they usually pretend to be calling from Microsoft.

nevets5891 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESNRB
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I once wound one of these guys up for nearly an hour with this. I just kept acting daft. He got me to navigate to the Windows Event Viewer and look for any "red or yellow system errors". I said I had lots of them and he said he could remotely connect to my computer to fix them for free this time, but it would cost £x to have it done regularly to keep on top of it.

Eventually I got bored and told him I knew what he was up to and it was all nonsense, and he still wouldn't take no for an answer. I explained that I had just the day before done a fresh install of Windows, and it wasn't possible for me to have all these "errors" he talked about.

I ended up having to hang up, but he phoned back. I then outright told him I'd been winding him up, and he still maintained that I had errors on my computer. He didn't call back after the second hang up though :-p

redrum217uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: DUNSTON
      Thanks

the police didn't care when it happened to me, they just sign posted me to a anti fraud website where I could log my details. Here is a link to my thread I made about it, including who to report it to.

BT/SKY/Virgin broadband support help scam

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Tell them were to stick it bunch of scammers

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I HATE these people with a passion. We actually get them calling the office & have a competition to see who can keep them on the line the longest. My record is 30 minutes

I can tell you now it was of the most enjoyable 30 mins the office had seen in a while, the guy got rather upset at the end.

Unfortunately most of the time it doesn't cost them, they are usually leeching the phone calls for free with hacked satellite equipment.

Still, any minute on the phone to us is one less minute where they are trying to steel money from some other unwary person.
      Scubbie likes this.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I doubt that the websites used by the scammers were on the list but...

UK Police Suspend 2,500 "Counterfeit" Domain Names | TorrentFreak

Of course Ofcom will always be interested in these callers as well.

Alternatively you could always set up a special Premium rate line, just for these people and earn some money at the same time...

Man sets up own premium rate phone line to get revenge on cold callers - and makes £300 | UK | News | Daily Express

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

martin.sadler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Grinstead - 01342
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nevets5891 View Post
      I once wound one of these guys up for nearly an hour with this. I just kept acting daft. He got me to navigate to the Windows Event Viewer and look for any "red or yellow system errors". I said I had lots of them and he said he could remotely connect to my computer to fix them for free this time, but it would cost £x to have it done regularly to keep on top of it.

Eventually I got bored and told him I knew what he was up to and it was all nonsense, and he still wouldn't take no for an answer. I explained that I had just the day before done a fresh install of Windows, and it wasn't possible for me to have all these "errors" he talked about.

I ended up having to hang up, but he phoned back. I then outright told him I'd been winding him up, and he still maintained that I had errors on my computer. He didn't call back after the second hang up though :-p

I once did likewise - after 45 mins or so it ended up with the guy's supervisor starting to talk me through the same script. eventually, when I said "does it make any difference that I'm not running Windows?" (I'm Linux through-and-through) they hung up and as far as I know they've never called again. I don't usually have the patience to do this but it was fun this one time. My wife was in stitches in the background, too.

My father (RIP) did something similar with a double-glazing/conservatory salesman cold-caller. Kept him on the phone for an hour, saying he'd already got double-glazing but was interested in a conservatory. Listened to the spiel and asked all sorts of questions. The guy asked if he could come round and do a survey. When giving his address, Dad got as far as "3rd floor flat...." when the guy hung-up!

I now have a phone from BT that enables me to block all international and unknown/number withheld calls, as well as the ability to block several specific numbers. Deep joy!

M
      Scubbie likes this.