Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Be --> Sky. New user on Unlimited Pro - No rants, but a few questions...

This is a discussion on Be --> Sky. New user on Unlimited Pro - No rants, but a few questions... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am new to Sky and this forum so this is my first post as an introduction. After being with ...

johnnycab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 2820
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Be --> Sky. New user on Unlimited Pro - No rants, but a few questions...

I am new to Sky and this forum so this is my first post as an introduction. After being with BE for almost 5 years I got migrated 5 days ago to Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro with a Static IP. I am using a Draytek Vigor 2820. My landline is still with BT.

So far, it has been a mixed bag - a few good things and a couple of very frustrating and irritating problems due to the switch-over. I was not given much info about settings, but fortunately I was prepared thanks to TBB. The billing is erratic but least of my worries at present.

The Good: I got connected at the top-end of the anticipated download speed i.e. 19.5Mb/s although the Upstream is 0.95Mb/s - 6 SNR/23 ATT. The line is stable albeit it does drop occasionally, which I assume is due to DLM. Also, I do understand that these speeds might be different once the training period is complete.

The Bad: I have had an issue with a PC which is connected directly into the router via Ethernet and will not connect to the Internet; works ok within the LAN/NAT. On Wi-fi everything is hunky-dory. I have tried doing most of the things suggested - new drivers, switching off IPv6, insert Gateway details for IPv4, flush DNS, release/renew IP etc. I will most probably get to the bottom of it but would like to have any tips on why something like this might happen.

The Ugly: I have had a major problem with Xbox Live with an error of 80072741 since the switch-over. I have done all the troubleshooting and their support could not do anything either. The box is connected to the MS Network fine, all necessary ports are forwarded/open but no access to services. Also, I cannot re-download the profile after having deleted it during the troubleshooting phase. I would be extremely grateful to anybody who has any ideas on how I can resolve this strange problem or even shine a light on what might be causing it!

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Be --> Sky. New user on Unlimited Pro - No rants, but a few questions...

Have you turned on UPnP on the router? Also give the XBox a fixed IP address if you already haven't (apoogies if these are in the article, but can't open it up currently).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mattan For This Useful Post:

johnnycab (22-04-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Have you turned on UPnP on the router? Also give the XBox a fixed IP address if you already haven't (apoogies if these are in the article, but can't open it up currently).
      Yep the UPnP option is turned on, all the ports are definitely being forwarded. The test connection option shows a complete follow-through to their servers with zero problems.

The fixed IP suggestion is not mentioned in the article or by XB support; although I did come across it somewhere and have not tried it. I will give it a shot as soon as the connection goes stable past the 72 hours in my first week of migration, before I reboot. Many thanks for the tip, will keep you informed.

Please feel free to offer any suggestions - I will be ever so thankful. A week without subscription services, catchup and multiplayer is excruciating ;--)) Also, it would be preferable to thrash it out here and add to the knowledge-base before raising any tickets(?) as I have no idea how the Sky support system works..yet.
      Last edited by johnnycab; 22-04-14 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks

You could raise a ticket on the Sky forum under their gaming section - there should be some knowledgeable posters there. I also saw a couple of articles about resetting the XBox cache - have you tried that?

For my set up, I've put a fixed IP in to the XBox settings and also reserved the IP on the router. When you say the test completes OK, is this the XBox Live test or one of the others?

Exchange:
      Thanks

@mattan: The clearing of the cache 3 times in a row is the first option suggested by XB support even though the article suggests twice. Anyway, it did not work for me. Yes, I might raise a ticket soon as I think it is a problem on the ISP end. Sorry, I meant to say the DLM/Training period on Sky to end before I start to reboot my router again and do some more troubleshooting.

Thanks

As long as you don't keep rebooting your router in quick succession, then DLM training should not be affected. However, I understand that you may not want to rock the boat at the moment.

I'd be surprised if the issue rests with Sky as an ISP, otherwise there would be a flood of people with the same issue. However, it could be to do with the set up between the router and XBox. Just another thought - I increased the number of hops in the UPnP settings to 8 or 10 as my Xbox is connected via homeplugs and switches.

Exchange:
      Thanks

As long as you don't keep rebooting your router in quick succession, then DLM training should not be affected. However, I understand that you may not want to rock the boat at the moment.

I'd be surprised if the issue rests with Sky as an ISP, otherwise there would be a flood of people with the same issue. However, it could be to do with the set up between the router and XBox. Just another thought - I increased the number of hops in the UPnP settings to 8 or 10 as my Xbox is connected via homeplugs and switches.
      You are correct - I just want my line to remain stable at present before undertaking another phase. Once, everything settles I will eliminate as much as I can between Xbox and Router - maybe even Format the former and Reset the latter, albeit prefer to find out the root cause. My UPnP settings don't have any options on changing hops i.e. it is either enable or disable.

As an aside, I had to reboot more than a few times in the first few days due to an issue with my S4 displaying the 'Wi-fi Connection Unstable' message exactly at change-over which I have not mentioned previously. However, all my efforts were wasted because it was actually the WAN connection that was unstable and resolved itself after couple of days! No major changes were made to router settings during troubleshooting and at that point I did not even think that ISP was at fault, as everything pointed towards a known Android fault/issue with Galaxy devices. There are no articles on Google that suggest that I should have been patient ;--))

So, I agree in part that if it was an ISP only problem then there would be more people reporting it. However, at present the Xbox/MS side connection seems to be ok and Sky is the only unknown in the equation which I have to eliminate and cannot rule it out.

Thanks

Just to check also, that you've made any config changes to the router that were sent to you by Sky that was part of the migration?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just to check also, that you've made any config changes to the router that were sent to you by Sky that was part of the migration?
      Sky did not send me any details on changes to make, just my Static IP details; which were irrelevant. However, I know what you mean - I changed over from MPoA to PPPoA with the relevant settings i.e. VPI=0/VCI=38/VC-MUX/Multimode/install@o2broadband.co.uk etc. thats about it.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Hello johnnycab, sorry that I am a little late to this thread.

Your Draytek router should be fine with Sky's connection. Quite a few members of this forum have been using it for a couple of years already. There is a custom firmware available from Draytek that was written to support Sky's MER connection. For this you will need the login detail from a Sky router though.

Your connection should not keep dropping. DLM should only reset your connection in the early hours of the morning. If it is dropping during the day then I would suggest that there may be another issue.

Some basic checks should be completed. Could you check to see if there is any noise on your telephone line? Using a chorded phone dial '1' and listen carefully. A small amount of hiss in the background or some high pitched noise like a fax machine is acceptable. Crackling or a large amount of background noise is not.

When did you last change you filters? What filters are you using?

Can you double check the lead which connects the router to the telephone line. HAs it been damaged/pulled or are there any signs of corrosion?

Are you using a long lead or is it connected to any extensions?

The PC sounds a little more problematic. Currently Sky's network only supports IPv4. Sky are in the process of upgrading their latest 3 routers to support IPv6. I suspect that Iv6 will start to be rolled out in the near future but there is currently no further information on this topic. For this reason I would urge you to stick with IPv4 for now.

Having said that, IPv6 is enabled on my own computers, even if it isn't used.

It would help if you could provide us with a few more details about the error you are seeing from the PC.

I'm not familiar with the Xbox and I see Mattan is being a great help here. There is one final thing I might suggest to try though. I realise that it is additional work, but have you considered triple checking you have the current firmware for your router? Next make a note of the current settings and then wipe them all and re-enter them manually.

This may clear up the issue.

The connection settings are correct. For clarification you can get them here:

Using your O2 or Be router on a Sky Broadband (ADSL) connection

Billing issues are going to be a hot bed. I've been unwell recently so need to catch up with some of the Pro Broadband threads. However Saturday's comments are correct. Sky would not intentionally wish to defraud their customers. They have a reputation to maintain.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast