Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Be --> Sky. New user on Unlimited Pro - No rants, but a few questions...

This is a discussion on Be --> Sky. New user on Unlimited Pro - No rants, but a few questions... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have an S4 as well and get the same error periodically with my WNDR3800. Since you have a different ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Be --> Sky. New user on Unlimited Pro - No rants, but a few questions...

I have an S4 as well and get the same error periodically with my WNDR3800.

Since you have a different router, this suggests that there may well be an issue with the S4, not your router directly. Searching the web appears to confirm this and I found a few pages on the topic including this:

WiFi Connectivity Issues with Samsung Galaxy S4 - iPod Repair, iPhone Repair, iPad Repair, Apple Repair: From the Back Office Repair Blog

The thread linked below suggests that it became an issue following the update to Jelly Bean (4.3), but I'm now on KitKat (4.4.2).

Galaxy S4: your internet connection is unstable. - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      johnnycab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 2820
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I apologise for bringing this thread to the top - I know you must be sick of me. I am merely documenting my experience as best as I can in a dire hope that it might help somebody.

@Scubbie - it has been a hellish week or so to resolve various ambiguous problems. In conclusion they have nothing to do with me! The tiered support people can see what has been going on and many of them decided my BB was a toy to tinker with. After spending obscene amount of air-time, tele-convos, money and typing to solve a first world problem, I spoke to an ex-BE employee - who eventually understood what was going on.

My experience in dealing with majority of the Sky departments so far has been Kafkaesque i.e. they generally do not have a clue about customer service or possess in-depth technical knowledge; if I were to do that in any of my jobs (past and present) I would be shown the door instantly!

Anyways, a combo of DLM and mysterious profiles has been playing a havoc with the connection. The screenshot below is the current state of affairs - connection holds stable and things are an improvement despite the errors you can see. I don't know how long all of this will last and now just desperately hoping for things to settle down!

Thanks

Annoyingly most of the Sky people have crib sheets and have to stick with them in most cases. The specific team set up to deal with the Broadband Pro products used to work for Be and are contactable on a separate number ( 08442 245 100 ) provided that you have the Broadband Pro product.

From what you are describing, they have the better technical knowledge to deal with your issue.

Your SNR margin is very low at the moment. Normally the minimum will be around 3dB. Any lower and you are more likely to pick up various errors.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie. No BB or Telephone since yesterday until about half an hour ago approx. It turns out all the problems were due to faulty equipment at the exchange - SNR is back up to 6 and speed has normalised to 19.5Mbps with low number of errors. It goes to show that I am limited to what I can troubleshoot as an end-user. Furthermore, I had to log a call with BT with regards to NO phone line in order to get the issue addressed - Sky were of a completely different opinion as usual.

The BT engineer called and told me that they did not have time to finish the job yesterday. Also, the fact that they maintain all the equipment at the exchange and he was provided with the new parts to swap out; I thought that only Sky staff would have access to their own stuff and/or possibly in a locked cabinet?
      Last edited by johnnycab; 20-05-14 at 11:08 AM. Reason: .

Thanks

Due to some companies 'tampering' with rival kit in the past, only BTO Engineers are allowed in the exchanges unsupervised.

This means that common tasks, such as changing cards in LLU kit, are performed by BTO Engineers. Installing the LLU kit would normally be performed by a contractor.

Hopefully things will improve now, but again you'll need to watch things for now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

johnnycab (20-05-14)

dave1992 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Billion 7800n
      Thanks

I also got moved from BE to Sky. Immediately I started getting a few drops a day - a couple of seconds to a minute or two. During those the router just times out trying to bring the line back up. Sky support have just given me the standard new microfilter / test socket type email. I'm pretty sure all that's fine though. Speeds are pretty much the same though.

One strange thing, I can't access Online Testing Free Quiz Maker Create the Best web-based quizzes ClassMarker through my Sky broadband, which is worrying, since I can access it through another ISP and from internet servers elsewhere. Can anyone else get it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dave1992 View Post
      I also got moved from BE to Sky. Immediately I started getting a few drops a day - a couple of seconds to a minute or two. During those the router just times out trying to bring the line back up. Sky support have just given me the standard new microfilter / test socket type email. I'm pretty sure all that's fine though. Speeds are pretty much the same though.
      The drops can be caused by a potential fault on the new connections which you line is on.

If you haven't already done so could I suggest that you start a new thread if you want some help on this?

Quote Originally Posted by dave1992 View Post
      One strange thing, I can't access Online Testing Free Quiz Maker Create the Best web-based quizzes ClassMarker through my Sky broadband, which is worrying, since I can access it through another ISP and from internet servers elsewhere. Can anyone else get it?
      I just clicked your link and it loaded without any problems.

This suggests that you may have enabled the 'Sky Shield' and need to fine tune the settings or specifically set the site to 'allowed'.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The drops can be caused by a potential fault on the new connections which you line is on.

If you haven't already done so could I suggest that you start a new thread if you want some help on this?

I just clicked your link and it loaded without any problems.

This suggests that you may have enabled the 'Sky Shield' and need to fine tune the settings or specifically set the site to 'allowed'.

Hi Thanks for the reply. I'll wait and see what happens with the connection. I have switched sky shield off but it hasn't helped - I'm following up with the site itself. I won't create another thread since I don't need any help for now - will do if that changes. Thanks for your help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

@dave1992 - As a quick-fix I would clear cookies/history etc., try Chrome in incognito mode, change the DNS servers to Google, OpenDNS etc. BTW your website works fine for me too - it is nothing dubious, so no reason for it to be blocked.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks - I tried all of that - doesn't work. Ping fails. Traceroute fails after the last server before the target machine. Ping and traceroute both work fine through another ISP.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast