Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Be --> Sky. New user on Unlimited Pro - No rants, but a few questions...

This is a discussion on Be --> Sky. New user on Unlimited Pro - No rants, but a few questions... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Hello johnnycab, sorry that I am a little late to this thread. Hi Scubbie, thanks for ...

johnnycab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 2820
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Be --> Sky. New user on Unlimited Pro - No rants, but a few questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Hello johnnycab, sorry that I am a little late to this thread.
      Hi Scubbie, thanks for taking time to answer to my woes, I really appreciate it. Also, I am extremely grateful to everyone else who has been spending time trying to help me out, especially mattan. I will endeavour to return your favours in the future by making some contribution to the community.

Here are some answers to your questions...

There is a custom firmware available from Draytek that was written to support Sky's MER connection. For this you will need the login detail from a Sky router though.

I have read a tiny bit about MER and only here. I will pursue it after further study as I don't know about the benefits. It also seems that the login details are not the same as Sky ID and I have a non-sky router as part of the migration path. So, I will leave it for another day.

Your connection should not keep dropping. DLM should only reset your connection in the early hours of the morning. If it is dropping during the day then I would suggest that there may be another issue.

The connection has dropped 3-4 times approx. over the last 7 days. Since you mention it, surprisingly, it has always dropped whilst I have been sleeping; it might even be at same time I was migrated initially i.e. 3am-ish. However, it is holding stable under 72 hours at the time of this post.

Some basic checks should be completed. Could you check to see if there is any noise on your telephone line? Using a chorded phone dial '1' and listen carefully. A small amount of hiss in the background or some high pitched noise like a fax machine is acceptable. Crackling or a large amount of background noise is not.

No noise on the phone. It is clear with no cross-talk, interference, hiss, crackling or slightest hint of background noise. I must admit that I am slightly surprised, even though I could not care less about the land-line.

When did you last change you filters? What filters are you using?

Ok, the filters are the same that came with Be and I probably changed them maybe 3yrs ago? They have a Model No. Z3500UK imprinted on them. Although I have a lot of new ones that are sitting around; but have had no reason to change anything recently when everything has been working fine.

Can you double check the lead which connects the router to the telephone line. HAs it been damaged/pulled or are there any signs of corrosion?

I have done this regularly just like I do with my Hi-Fi connections in-case of any oxidisation. To answer your question, no damage or pulling. However, corrosion is hard to detect on the other side of the face-plate. Regardless, I will err on the side of it being fine as nothing was going wrong until the change-over period.

Are you using a long lead or is it connected to any extensions?

Nope - connected directly into the Master Socket.

The PC sounds a little more problematic. Currently Sky's network only supports IPv4. Sky are in the process of upgrading their latest 3 routers to support IPv6. I suspect that Iv6 will start to be rolled out in the near future but there is currently no further information on this topic. For this reason I would urge you to stick with IPv4 for now.

Thanks for this info, it is very surprising! It will definitely help troubleshoot this particular PC properly, even though I have de-selected IPv6 and still have no solution.

It would help if you could provide us with a few more details about the error you are seeing from the PC.

No errors; just your regular yellow triangle with an exclamation mark, stating there is 'No Internet Access'. The LAN/NAT side is all good. The Wi-fi works fine even with IPv6! It seems to be another one of these mysterious problems where there is no straight-forward solution - you can prove me wrong ;--))

There is one final thing I might suggest to try though. I realise that it is additional work, but have you considered triple checking you have the current firmware for your router? Next make a note of the current settings and then wipe them all and re-enter them manually.

I can anticipate your response to the following: I must admit that I have not updated the firmware on the router for a long time, keeping in line with the maxim of 'if it ain't broke...' but it might be the right time to do so and will be updating the firmware asap.

Billing issues are going to be a hot bed. I've been unwell recently so need to catch up with some of the Pro Broadband threads. However Saturday's comments are correct. Sky would not intentionally wish to defraud their customers. They have a reputation to maintain.

I am sorry to hear that and hope you get better soon. I am a very recent addition here, but it seems that you are an important part of this community. As for Billing I am not that worried and sure it will get resolved somehow; I just want my connection to be devoid of any problems.
      Last edited by johnnycab; 22-04-14 at 09:57 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Ok, first those filters are probably past their best. The microfilters tend to last around 2 years at best. You should always consider changing them after 2 years.

Personally I would actually fit a filtered faceplate, preferably the VDSL filtered faceplate, especially if you are considering FTTC at some stage. Of course you need an NTE5 socket for these, so check this is what you have first.

The fact the the resync was happening in the early hours is perfect. As the up time is now over 72 hours DLM should have completed it's initial training.

With the PC I would start checking the Ethernet cables, port an anything else physical to ensure that everything is how it should be.

Keeping in mind that I recently rolled back the firmware on my own WNDR3800 last week, I can appreciate that sometimes the latest router firmwares can bring more problems than they resolve, but I would still check the reports on the Draytek site.

I managed to get a cold which knocked me for 6. I guess as I haven't had one for a few years. Thankfully it is going, but has left me with a sore throat.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

The fact the the resync was happening in the early hours is perfect. As the up time is now over 72 hours DLM should have completed it's initial training.
      Yippee! I managed to solve the problem with the Xbox error! I am a happy boy today after no XBL for a week ;--))

However, there have been more dropouts today than there have been in the whole of the previous week put together and getting re-connected at wildly fluctuating speeds ranging from 16-18Mb/s down; although the upstream speeds are still below 1Mb/s. On previous occasions I always stayed on 19.5Mb/s and got re-connected at that speed. Also, the My Sky profile is showing that no line test is running. The last stable connection was at more than 80+ hours this morning.

I did anticipate a drop in speed after line testing, but a bit surprised that after having achieved a higher speed on the line, why it would then be connecting at such varying low speeds? Do you think the speed will go back to the original value?

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Out of interest, how did you fix the XBox issue?

DLM should leave your line stable, however it may still be making some adjustments or ended up leaving you with a higher sync rate than was stable. Give a few more days and see if the stability returns. If not, do the usual troubleshooting before giving Sky a call.

Could you post your current router stats. It may help?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mattan For This Useful Post:

johnnycab (23-04-14)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Good news about XBL.

DLM constantly monitors your broadband connection. If there is an issue then it will slow the line down to compensate. The current version of DLM also appears to be quite good at raising the speed again once the issue is fixed. Previously it would happily slow you down and never speed it up.

I would give it a few days to see what happens, but at the same time those disconnections worry me. If they are just happening between around 1am-6am, then don't worry. That is when DLM is working. If the disconnections are happening after 6am and before 1am, then this could be an issue. I would be inclined to call Sky and ask someone to look at your line to see if there are any errors showing.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

johnnycab (23-04-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Out of interest, how did you fix the XBox issue? Could you post your current router stats. It may help?
      I tried to assign a fixed IP to the Xbox as you suggested but it still did not want to play. So, I put it in the DMZ and bingo! I feel a bit foolish as to why I did not try that before. However, it is not the most ideal solution and the initial problem obviously still exists. It might be down to an old firmware on the router - will find out when I update, at least for now the problem is fixed ;--)) Thanks for your help!

Can you please suggest an application that can gather stats which can be posted here in readable format? I tried routerstats ages ago but it did not work with 2820.

DLM constantly monitors your broadband connection. If there is an issue then it will slow the line down to compensate. The current version of DLM also appears to be quite good at raising the speed again once the issue is fixed. Previously it would happily slow you down and never speed it up.

I would give it a few days to see what happens, but at the same time those disconnections worry me. If they are just happening between around 1am-6am, then don't worry. That is when DLM is working. If the disconnections are happening after 6am and before 1am, then this could be an issue. I would be inclined to call Sky and ask someone to look at your line to see if there are any errors showing.
      I was not that worried about disconnections until today. I will give it a few more days as suggested and hope that the line gets stable, even if it is slightly below the speed I was getting before. At present, it has gone crazy and keeps dropping out.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

It's just the connection stats I was on about - attenuation, noise margin etc.

It's worth updating the router's firmware. I've never needed to put the XBox in the DMZ and would hope that's just a temporary set up. Which ports have you forwarded?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      It's just the connection stats I was on about - attenuation, noise margin etc.

It's worth updating the router's firmware. I've never needed to put the XBox in the DMZ and would hope that's just a temporary set up. Which ports have you forwarded?
      The previous SNR/ATT was 6/23 19.5Mb/s down and 0.95Mb/s up. Incidentally, these values are similar to what was on Be although the up speeds were higher. Since yesterday it has been fluctuating between SNR/ATT 5-8/24-25 and line speeds of 16-17.5Mb/s down and 0.90-0.95Mb/s up. I have also tried a couple of new filters out of sealed packets.

Yes, it seems like a good idea to update the firmware at this point just in-case the Sky equipment is sensitive to something ;--)) At the very least I would have eliminated everything from my side. The only other thing remaining would be change the face-plate as suggested by Scubbie. I will do this incrementally as I don't want to change too many variables and then not be able to diagnose any problems!

Although, I have never had a need to put anything in the DMZ but the Xbox does not pose any major risks. However, this problem has me scratching my head. The ports in the article below have always been open and since the local DHCP server always renews the same leased IP on the box, due to it being used regularly and coupled with UPnP, I have never had any problems. Regardless, I have checked everything almost to exhaustion e.g. when I turn off the rule for these ports - I get the 'NAT type is strict or moderate' message when testing connection; there is definitely something that the Sky-side does not like as it knows the Xbox is trying to connect and wants those ports forwarded, yet it still refuses to acknowledge it with full authentication to XBL servers whilst showing it is connected...I hope this makes sense?

Xbox Network Ports | Xbox 360 Network Ports | Xbox Live Network Ports

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I tried routerstats ages ago but it did not work with 2820.
      If your router is not on the supported list, drop the author a note and he will be happy to update it for you. You will have to send him screen grabs of the various settings pages.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

johnnycab (24-04-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

A real quick update from last time: the speeds have gone up (18-19.2Mbps Down and 0.92-1Mbps UP 5-6SNR/25ATT) and the connection seems to hold on average for around 15-18 hours before dropping out and re-connecting at varying afore-mentioned values, generally after 8-10pm.

However, I would like to know a few things which are non-technical; rather than calling Sky Tech Support as suggested during/before I resolved the initial problem here, I logged a similar thread on their 'Community' forums. The thread on Sky forums got no answers and was closed(?) as 'Answered' with a very typical copypasta-style where more than 75% of the post is occupied with a signature plus the usual littering of patronising comments, apologies and thanks for asking a question etc. by a 'Community Co-ordinator' with no assistance whatsoever. When I added a comment to this supposedly closed thread - it got removed along with the previous reply by a 'Co-ordinator' and a new one took it's place, who presumably wants to ask similar questions via PM. In some strange way it reminds of me of Agent Smith from The Matrix ;--))

I am struggling to understand this ambiguous system after observing and reading some of the posts for the last week..

• Who are these 'Community Co-ordinators'? i.e. are they paid Sky staff?
      • How much clout do they carry within the hierarchy to troubleshoot problems and escalate them?
      • Does anyone have any experience of getting problems resolved through this forum without raising their blood pressure?
      • Is it easier to contact Sky via telephone and get your problems resolved or is there a dedicated on-line support-ticket-helpdesk-resolution type system tied to an account?
      • The 'Co-ordinators' sometimes clamour over themselves to reply to a thread in the manner suggested above, are they getting some kind of commission to close as many threads as possible?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast