Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed

This is a discussion on Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Over the last few months I have experienced a drop-off in my Broadband download speeds. I have had ...

fredmon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lofthouse Gate
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed

Hi All, Over the last few months I have experienced a drop-off in my Broadband download speeds. I have had Sky Broadband Unlimited for several years and have always had a reasonably reliable download speed of around 5-6mb. However, for the last few months I have only been getting about 2mb and it has become inconsistent (i.e. very occasionally it drops out completely or is even slower than 2mb).

I've contacted Sky a couple of times about this who have asked me to move my router to the main socket for testing - The actual socket which should be the main socket seems disconnected, but I think it must have been like this since I moved into the house 9 years ago, so I have made an assumption as to which is the main socket. When the router is plugged into the "main" socket the speed is generally a lot better (i.e. approx 5mb) and when I move the router back to where my desktop PC is it runs at 5mb for a while, but then drops back down.

I think this means that something is wrong with the telephone line internally to my house rather than anything externally, but your advice as to whether my assumption is correct would be much appreciated. Also, if this is correct, what would you suggest as the best way of solving the issue?

My router statistics are as follows:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 25039883 22168043 0 3378700 3419877 78:59:27
      LAN Up 12497209 6374963 0 56892 9428 713:22:22
      WLAN Up 19520276 12840243 0 0 549 713:21:56
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2429 kbps 1213 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 dB 22.4 dB
      Noise Margin 19.7 dB 3.3 dB

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed

yes assumption is correct , check for test socket that should show which socket is master/main or find where line enters house , with high downstream noise margin line should diffidently run higher , if other socket line stays higher would run bb from their until you can get the wiring fixed

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tenar For This Useful Post:

fredmon (19-04-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tenar View Post
      yes assumption is correct , check for test socket that should show which socket is master/main or find where line enters house , with high downstream noise margin line should diffidently run higher , if other socket line stays higher would run bb from their until you can get the wiring fixed

Hi Tenar, Thanks for your reply and for confirming my assumption is correct - unfortunately I can't use the test / engineering socket as that is the disconnected socket - the house seems to be wired very stangely with long telephone lines around the side of the house. I have been trying to figure out where the line enters the house, but it is underground and I haven't quite worked it out, but will have another look.

Am I right that you are saying the noise on the line for the downstream is high - sorry, I'm not used to interpreting these statistics?

Do you know if I have to get BT to sort out the wiring or can I get any registered engineer?

Thanks Again

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

any engineer will do best thing ask about for references if possible

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tenar For This Useful Post:

fredmon (19-04-14)

Thanks

Great - Thanks again Tenar

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fredmon View Post
      Am I right that you are saying the noise on the line for the downstream is high - sorry, I'm not used to interpreting these statistics?
      The noise margin is high because Sky's DLM has detected a line issue and has set a high noise margin to compensate. A high noise margin reduces the sync speed but makes the connection more stable. And that is a very high noise margin!

Resolve whatever the problem is and your sync will increase dramatically to more like 12000kbps, five times what you have now. This may happen automatically as DLM detects the change or it may require a call to Sky.

If you are of average DIY skills then you can probably sort your wiring out yourself for a few pounds and an hour or two of your time. You'll find plenty of advice on how elsewhere on the forum and could post to the "cabling and faceplate help" subforum for specific advice. A BT engineer will cost a couple of hundred pounds or more depending on what is needed. A qualified non BT engineer probably less but you may find he/she unwilling to touch BT's side of the socket whereas you can (though not officially allowed to). Don't risk an unqualified "engineer".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturday For This Useful Post:

fredmon (20-04-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      The noise margin is high because Sky's DLM has detected a line issue and has set a high noise margin to compensate. A high noise margin reduces the sync speed but makes the connection more stable. And that is a very high noise margin!

Resolve whatever the problem is and your sync will increase dramatically to more like 12000kbps, five times what you have now. This may happen automatically as DLM detects the change or it may require a call to Sky.

If you are of average DIY skills then you can probably sort your wiring out yourself for a few pounds and an hour or two of your time. You'll find plenty of advice on how elsewhere on the forum and could post to the "cabling and faceplate help" subforum for specific advice. A BT engineer will cost a couple of hundred pounds or more depending on what is needed. A qualified non BT engineer probably less but you may find he/she unwilling to touch BT's side of the socket whereas you can (though not officially allowed to). Don't risk an unqualified "engineer".
      Thanks a lot for your explanation and advice - I'll have a look at the other forums as suggested - I think it would be optimistic to say my DIY skills are average as I'm not really very handy - but I'll give it a go if I feel comfortable as it sounds like by far the cheapest option.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

You're welcome. A few tips to get you started which may help when you look through the cabling/faceplate forum:

Your ideal setup will be to have a NTE5 master socket placed close to where you want your router and your router connected directly to it. From your earlier description this will mean finding the first socket where your line enters the house then making a new connection (maybe with gel crimps) from there to the location you've decided to place your router. There you will need to fit the NTE5 with an ADSL faceplate. If you have/need telephone extensions then they will feed off the NTE5. That's it.

Equipment needed: NTE5, ADSL faceplate, wire, cheap IDC tool and junction/crimps/clips as needed. Cost ~30 or so. A good place to buy would be run-it-direct. Prices are pretty good and the support and advice you can get from them is very good.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturday For This Useful Post:

fredmon (20-04-14)

Thanks

Thanks again Saturday - your advice is much appreciated - time for me to do lots of research.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

May just be worth mentioning, that strictly speaking, everything up to and including the master socket is the property of BT Openreach and should only be worked on by one of their engineers. That's not to say people do successfully make changes to their own set ups.

As for the location of the incoming wire. If it is underground, then they normally surface on the outside of the house. Depending on the age of the house, there may be a small grey box attached to the house. This is a junction box where the underground cable surfaces, then connects to the internal cable that goes in to the house and terminates at the master socket. This internal cable may literally go through the wall where the junction box is or enter the house at another point - just follow the cable!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast