Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Like Tree2Likes

Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed

This is a discussion on Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; the long running line test runs for 24 hours and results are sent to openreach for possible REIN engineer booking ...

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed

the long running line test runs for 24 hours and results are sent to openreach for possible REIN engineer booking by cst

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tenar For This Useful Post:

fredmon (28-05-14)

3. Advertisement
      fredmon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lofthouse Gate
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi,

Just a quick update - had a call from Sky CST yesterday who agree that the speeds I'm getting aren't what they should be and they can see that something isn't right. They have contacted Openreach who are sending an engineer on Thursday morning. I have been told that Openreach will probably go to the local exchange to start with and then work their way to the local cabinet before working their way to my house.

Sky said they have now opened up my line to allow the full "possible" 20mb as the Openreach engineer needs the line to be opened in order to carry out the work. Sky have warned that my line may become even more unstable because of this, but that's to be expected. I can see that Sky have indeed opened up the line as my router is currently showing that I have an 8mb connection and the noise margin has decreased considerably to about 4-5db as a result.

So fingers crossed that all goes well tomorrow - I'll post an update to let you all know how it went.

Best Wishes.

Thanks

Hi,

Had a visit from 2 Openreach engineers yesterday who were both very friendly and professional (I think they probably had about 70 years of experience between them).

The 1st thing I found out was that I'm not actually connected to a cabinet, but am connected directly to the local exchange (I think this means my hope of fibre broadband in the near future is unlikely to become a reality as my local exchange is enable for FTTC, but not FTTP).

They spent about 2 hours running various tests and seemed very thorough, but I think they did have difficulty pinpointing the exact issue - I guess that might have something to do with the fact that the drop outs are fairly intermittent and don't follow any obvious pattern.

I now have a new Openreach faceplate with built in filter and they did do some work on the wiring. Their tests showed that the line could cope with about 7.5mb-8mb which is what I now have. I ran routerstats for about 10 hours yesterday - noise margin stayed at a reasonably steady 6db with the odd drop by up to 1.5db, but only very occasionally and then a bit more often in the early evening when I guess the line is busier.

When the Openreach engineers left they did say I should keep my eye on it to see how things went due to the intermittent drop-outs.

Looks like Sky are running DLM on the line again so will have to wait to see where the line settles once that has completed. I'll report back once DLM has completed to let you know how things are going.

Best Wishes.
      Meteosat likes this.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm afraid to say the router has lost connection a couple of times today again and has re-synced at 4mb at 6db noise margin - I'm beginning to think I'm never going to get to the bottom of this.

Could it be the DLM that has caused this?

The only thing I can think of that hasn't already been tried is swapping out the router itself (maybe there is a fault with the router of some kind?) - I still have my old Sky sagem router - does anyone know if I can swap this with the SR101 without having to make any changes to the settings. If not, I'd be grateful if someone could let know what settings to change.

Looks like I might need to call Sky again in the hope that they can do something, but I'm starting to feel this is not going to be an easy fix.

Thanks.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

DLM line training won't have resync'd the line during the day.
      The standard DLM software may have detected lots of errors & done it, or more likely, was the line fault itself.

You should be able to connect the sagem without any problems.
      Just note any non-standard settings you may have made on the hub, such as reserved ip addresses, port forwarding etc & re-enter them on the sagem.

In all honesty though, if these dropouts are occurring while still in the test socket, it's looking like a basic line fault that openreach need to spend more time on.

Despite the advanced gadgets used, they can't always detect what & where a fault is.
      In my particular case they effectively gave up, swapped me over to a different line pair & everything's been fine ever since.

My advice would be to stay in the test socket & give sky a call.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

fredmon (03-06-14)

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your advice gymno. I won't bother changing the router over just yet.

I spoke to Sky again last night who have obviously been monitoring my line since the Openreach Engineer's visited and could tell that the line had dropped in speed from 8mb then to 7.5mb and then to 4mb since their visit.

Apparently my case was due to expire at the end of yesterday so Sky have said they will give me a call back today to open a new case - I guess this is how their system works (or it's internal politics).

I'll post again once I hear back from them - hopefully they'll send Openreach again and with a bit of luck they'll spend more time trying to work out the exact issue as I'm sure they don't want to keep coming back.

Best Wishes.

Thanks

I'm afraid I didn't get the promised call from Sky last night so I'll be calling them again tonight - will let you know how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm afraid I didn't get the promised call from Sky last night so I'll be calling them again tonight - will let you know how it goes.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345