Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed

This is a discussion on Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Significant realtime fluctuations indicate a problem somewhere. Whilst DLM is training a line, it will try different 'target' margins (usually ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed

Significant realtime fluctuations indicate a problem somewhere.

Whilst DLM is training a line, it will try different 'target' margins (usually 3 or 6db) but it will be fixed at the time of resync in the early hours.
      Changes after that will be due to varying levels of noise or a faulty microfilter etc.

Basically, most lines are set at 6db.
      Very good / clean lines can be set at 3db.
      Problematic ones will be set higher to compensate for the errors being caused by the problem.
      If yours can fluctuate by as much as 6db, it's hard to say what target DLM has used.

Before calling sky, i'd suggest a 'back to square one' approach, as this is what they'll ask you to do anyway...

Remove the faceplate from the master socket & plug just the microfilter & router in to the test socket, using the ADSL cable supplied by sky.
      Then post the stats again for comparison.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

fredmon (18-05-14)

3. Advertisement
      fredmon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lofthouse Gate
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi Gymno - thanks for your quick response - I'll give that a go later in the week when the kids aren't here.

Just a couple more questions - the DLM was running before I had my phone line sorted out - is it possible that a lot of these errors occurred during the period when the line hadn't been fixed? Does DLM take an average over the 10 days it runs or does it just take it's statistics from the endpoint (i.e. the point at which it resync's)?

Thanks

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Good question.

I'm not 100% sure to be honest, but personally i wouldn't expect the 'average over 10 days' scenario to occur.
      More likely that it merely set it back a little at the start, before getting up & running properly afterwards.

If it was indeed 'sorted'.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks to me like you may have excessive night time noise on your line. This could cause DLM to set your sync speed low. Can you check this by downloading and running Routerstats Lite for at least 24 hours non stop. This would show when the noise is occurring.
      Internet Software

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

fredmon (18-05-14)

Thanks

Hi Isitme,

Okay will download now and start running - I'll get back to after the 24 hour period has completed.

Thanks.

Thanks

Hi Isitme,

I have now run routerstats for a little over 24 hours - please find the graphs for Noise Margin and Connection Speed below:

Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed-noisemargin-2014may19-1810.jpg

Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed-connectionspeed-2014may19-1811.jpg

Please ignore the first dip in noise margin as that was my fault (foolishly trying to login to the router from my tablet when routerstats was already logged in as administrator. As you can see. the noise margin is certainly not at a consistent level and it dropped out completely and one point before resyncing at a lower downstream speed.

Your interpretation of these graphs would be much appreciated, but like you and others have said something doesn't look right, but I'm not sure what is causing this.

This is the 1st time I have inserted images to the forum so I'm hoping they will enlarge once clicked on, but let me know if not as I will have to find a different way to show them.

Thanks.

Thanks

It looks like you have constant interference on your line causing a fluctuation of around 2 db. This should no matter too much as your margin is set around 6-7db. The real problem seems to be between 7 and 8 am, where the interference causes a drop out and resync at the lower speed. Is there anything happening in your house around that time? CH coming on, TV being switched on, or some other action that would could cause the problem. Maybe you could run it for another 24 hours and see if the same result is obtained. You might want to set the Sample Interval graph on RSL to sample every 60 secs with 480 points per page. This will give you 3 graphs for the 24 hour period, but will narrow down the problem point.

Your images are fine by the way. We prefer images to be uploaded to our forum as they will remain available as long as required, Often when using a 3rd party uploader, the images are lost and referring to them in future is not possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

fredmon (20-05-14)

Thanks

Hi Isitme,

Thanks again for your comments. Between 7 and 8am is when we usually get up in the morning - usually the TV and SKY HD box gets switched on for the kids upstairs (the Sky HD box is physically located downstairs but wired to upstairs) and and the microwave goes on to heat milk for the youngest kids.

The Central Heating wouldn't have come on on the day the test was run as the weather was warm - the boiler is connected wirelessly to the thermostat.

Another thought is that the house is not too far away from a pylon and powerlines.

As you have said, I will run the test again and see if the results are similar as it would be good to narrow down / pinpoint what might be causing the problem so I can see if there is anything that can be done about it.

I'll post again once I have done another test on routerstats.

Best Wishes.

Thanks

Hi Isitme,

Have just completed another 24 hours monitoring with routerstats. Please find graphs below:

Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed-noise-margin-20-21-may-1-.jpg
      Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed-noise-margin-20-21-may-2-.jpg
      Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed-noise-margin-20-21-may-3-.jpg

Looks somewhat more consistent than the previous 24 hour test with no complete drop-outs, but your thoughts and knowledgeable insights would be much appreciated. The downstream stayed at a constant 6,143 kbps throughout.

The 1st little dip at about 6:50am ties in with when the TV was turned on and the 2nd little dip at about 7:20am ties in with when the microwave was turned on. I was at work for the rest of the day so can't say what might have potentially caused the other dips, but most are after at least one of the kids was home from school so could be the TV (but I'm guessing).

Thanks

Thanks

There is definitely something interfering and by what you say, it may be caused by a 'dirty' power supply. They are not very expensive, so I would advise you to buy a surge protertor and plug your router into it. No guarantee, but that may help balance out the interference being cause by your appliances.

These interference spikes are no doubt the reason why your noise margin is set so high. Probably about 3db higher than normal for a good line. This keeps your speed down to the 6Mb you have from the 8-9Mb you should have.

TomD

Useful Utilites

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

fredmon (22-05-14)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast