Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed

This is a discussion on Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Being pedantic, I believe the border is actually at the master socket with the back outwards to the exchange being ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Problem with Sky Broadband Download Speed

Being pedantic, I believe the border is actually at the master socket with the back outwards to the exchange being BT and the front inwards being the customer's thus allowing changes to be made to the faceplate and onward wiring. But yes, in case I wasn't clear enough in the earlier post, you are not allowed to interfere with BT equipment, though as we have both pointed out, many people do.

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

By all means, be pedantic! You're most likely right - I think customers can make changes from the lower removable section of the faceplate as this is where the extensions are all connected??!. Only ever removed mine to use the test socket and fit a VDSL plate - too many wires in there for my liking!

fredmon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lofthouse Gate
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi, Just thought I'd post an update. I decided to get someone in to carry out the work to my phone line (an ex-BT Engineer) as I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself. My new stats are as follows which seems to show a big improvement on the downstream noise margin:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 112689 119447 0 1364 174684 00:14:18
      LAN Up 183840 587716 0 3111283 104828 02:53:44
      WLAN Up 1141733 231188 0 49556 8984 02:53:18
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4158 kbps 1230 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.5 dB 22.5 dB
      Noise Margin 6.6 dB 3.3 dB
      Still slightly disappointed with the download speed. Have called Sky who have said I am on Day 3 (out of 10) of an automated line optimisation, so hopefully this might speed things up once it has finished. I might ask them to run it again after the 10 Days end as 3 of the days on the current test will be with the old phone line.

Thanks again for all your help and assistance.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Looking at your stats I would say you are worse off now than you were before. 2429 with a noise margin of 19.7db is better than the 4158 with a 6.6 margin you have now. What did the engineer you got in do? Are you now able to plug into the test socket?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I assume that a low noise margin is better, but what you are saying is that you would expect the downstream speed to be higher given the noise margin reduction?

I previously had 5 phone sockets in the house, but the engineer has now reduced this to one as my router and main phone unit are in the same socket and the other sockets were not really being used other than one for the Sky Box, but with Sky On Demand I figured that I didn't really need it connected. The socket had been replaced with an NTE5 - sorry I should have checked for engineers socket, but didn't and it is hidden behind my desk so can't get to it too easily just at the moment.

When I spoke to Sky previously my line speed became more stable - I believe this was because they optimised it for the most stable the line would take at the time - if Sky run this test again is it likely to optimise it upwards. Sky originally told me that my expected line speed was around 5mb so I'm not too far a way from that as it stands.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fredmon View Post
      I assume that a low noise margin is better
      Wrong assumption I'm afraid. It's a noise margin so small is bad. Rather than rehash all the info there is on this on the forum, if you're interested in the details have a read of various threads in the router subforum and elsewhere.

Depending on your line quality, your router needs a margin of between 3db and 6db to work properly. If your noise margin is above 6db then this means you have the potential to have a higher sync.

My advice is to leave things until DLM has finished as it can do all sorts of things like changing power output and modulation type which can give misleading noise margin figures while it is actively adjusting your connection. That said, on the face of it, your connection certainly does appear to have deteriorated dramatically since your wiring change. However, there may be some new factor/change which is causing this.

Spend some time reading if you can, then come back in a week or so with your then current stats and a full description of your home phone wiring including what is plugged in and where. Then people can offer you more meaningful advice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturday For This Useful Post:

fredmon (10-05-14)

Thanks

Hi Saturday - I actually read your excellent forum post on "Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained last night" and have realised that I was indeed making assumptions about the noise margin results which were incorrect. Better late than never to realise what this is really telling me.

I also think I may have posted my stats a bit too soon after re-booting the router - the downstream noise margin now seems to have settled somewhere between 11-13dB.

As you have advised, I will return in about a week with revised stats once the DLM has finished.

Thanks

Hi All,

Sky have now completed the DLM on my line so here are my revised stats as promised:

Router Statistics
      System Up Time: 14:22:02
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1572793 1607342 0 645 2120 14:21:06
      LAN Up 227282 135959 0 59418 13084 14:22:02
      WLAN Up 146276 121948 0 1620 904 14:21:35
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6143 kbps 1239 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.0 dB 22.3 dB
      Noise Margin 9.5 dB 3.3 dB
      I am a lot happier as I am now getting 6mb which is what I was getting before the problems began. When I login to My Sky account it now tells me the following:

Download speed setting
      Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to 6.1Mbps .

Upload speed setting
      Your connection has been set to an upload speed of up to 2.6Mbps .

However, I have subsequently found that my neighbour joined sky a few months ago which suspiciously seems to co-incide to when my speeds started to drop (maybe just a coincidence) and he is getting 8mb downstream speeds.

Still waiting for the day when fibre comes our way because, as you can imagine, I have a very broadband hungry home with 3 kids.

Thanks again for everyones comments and help. Please do let me know if you have any further thoughts

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Does the downstream noise margin fluctuate a lot?
      (by more than, say 0.5db)

If DLM has set a target noise margin of 9 or 10db, something isn't quite right somewhere.
      Normally a downstream attenuation of 39db would yield around 10 - 11Mbps.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

fredmon (18-05-14)

Thanks

Hi gymno,

Yes the noise margin fluctuates quite a bit. it has been anywhere between 6db and about 12db during a single day. Having said that, this was during the time that the DLM was being run so I assume fluctations would be expected?

I'll keep checking the stats now that DLM is complete to see if it still fluctuates in the same way.

Can you tell me what you would expect the noise margin to be? and if there is anything I can do about it if it isn't quite right?

Is it worth me calling Sky and asking why I'm not getting 10-11mb?

Thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast