Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow speed after move from SR101 to DG834G

This is a discussion on Slow speed after move from SR101 to DG834G within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Firstly hello, this is my first post after ready some of the great content on this forum over the last ...

Lardsan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow speed after move from SR101 to DG834G

Firstly hello, this is my first post after ready some of the great content on this forum over the last few days.

And thanks to some of this great content I've been able to obtain username/password from my SR101 so that I can use an alternative router due to ongoing problems with wireless connectivity.

Speeds with the SR101 were 20ms 20.16Mbps/1.04Mbps which I thought were pretty good for ADSL, however speeds with my newly connected Netgear router is just under half at 31ms 9.31Mbps/0.91Mbps....both via wired ethernet, nothing else connected.

It's an old Netgear DG834G V2 router though running V1.05.00 (can't even remember where I got it from) so before I expend any more time on it I was wondering if the drop in performance could simply be attributed to the age of the router and or firmware rather than configuration.

I wasn't expecting a drop in speed to be honest for ADSL so not sure how to move forward from here i.e. flash the router and have another go or just buy a new one.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slow speed after move from SR101 to DG834G

The DG834Gv2 is an old router and is only wireless G. The Hub is wireless N with nearly 3 times the wireless speed. If you are having wireless connection problems with it, the devices you are using probably don't support WPA2, which is the default with the Hub. Try dropping the security back to WPA, or even WEP although that is not recommended.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Slow speed after move from SR101 to DG834G

Chipset mismatch TI-AR7 chipset