Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

What's up with O2/BE Migrations?

This is a discussion on What's up with O2/BE Migrations? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; There seems to be A LOT of complaints on the official forum with former O2/BE customers getting very poor speeds ...

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What's up with O2/BE Migrations?

There seems to be A LOT of complaints on the official forum with former O2/BE customers getting very poor speeds when they switched over to Sky. Any ideas why this would be so? Was the BE/O2 infrastructure super-charged?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: What's up with O2/BE Migrations?

BE/O2 were very good ISPs, giving great value for money. So good was the value they gave that they could not sustain it and all but went out of business. Ex-users from thes ISPs seem to forget that. Sky did not take them over forcibly, but were offered the user-base and parts of the infrastructure at an acceptable price, so that the 2 ISPs did not leave their customers without a service, which would have happened if they had gone completely bust.

Although there seems to be a large number of complaints, remember Sky took over something like half a million accounts, so even a several hundred complaints are not that many when the numbers are considered.

Those who were taken over as opposed to signing up for a Sky package can leave at any time if they are not happy, which I have advised several to do.
      fudgexx23 likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Absolutely agree, but what makes the 'switch' from one infrastructure to another result in many seeing their speeds drop by over a half? If I went from Sky to BT or TalkTalk, I would expect the connection speeds to be about the same.

Thanks

Believe it or not there are some who are getting a better speed with Sky than they did previously. In many cases it is the users themselves who are at fault. Previously the excellent service provided by BE/O2 overcame many of the short-comings in the users setup. Sky's service is not so resilient and requires a near perfect home set up for the best results. One advantage BE had over Sky was that they used Annex M, which allows an upload of up to 3Mb, many of the complaints are about this. Until Sky start using M instead of A, their situation is not going to improve. Advice! Find an ISP who uses Annex M, there are a few left.

Another point is that those who took a Sky package and did not wait for the transfer were put on DLM training, which they did not understand and complained bitterly about only getting 4Mb. Once the training was complete they were quite happy.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

mattan (11-04-14)

Thanks

Thanks for the info. It seems a bit of a minefield over 'there' at the moment.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Trust me - it is a minefield and it's kept me busy for the past couple of weeks.

For many Sky has moved them to SFUP. Sadly this isn't always available.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Presumably the O2/BE customers with problems are those who were migrated across "as is" i.e. just BB and kept their phone with their existing supplier? I think I saw some discussion about that as a potential technical issue somewhere recently but can't recall where.

I moved both across to Sky. I lost a bit of upstream but gained a bit of downstream, so reasonably happy. Wouldn't have minded a SFUP deal though

mark2410 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Believe it or not there are some who are getting a better speed with Sky than they did previously. In many cases it is the users themselves who are at fault. Previously the excellent service provided by BE/O2 overcame many of the short-comings in the users setup. Sky's service is not so resilient and requires a near perfect home set up for the best results. One advantage BE had over Sky was that they used Annex M, which allows an upload of up to 3Mb, many of the complaints are about this. Until Sky start using M instead of A, their situation is not going to improve. Advice! Find an ISP who uses Annex M, there are a few left.

Another point is that those who took a Sky package and did not wait for the transfer were put on DLM training, which they did not understand and complained bitterly about only getting 4Mb. Once the training was complete they were quite happy.
      erm a lot of the upload complaints are due to Sky having fixed upsync line profiles. so on annex A if you dont get a fast down sync Sky artificially force you on to one of their lower speed up sync profiles. my old Be line up synced at 1.3mbit always. on Sky its locked to 768kbit and i get a giant noise margin. sky admitted on one occasion they do this but no one knows why and when i kept asking why and why its not mentioned anywhere their response was to ban me from their forum.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Yes those who are keeping their Line Rental with someone else are finding out that Sky charges for that privilege. A few are also finding out that there is an additional fee for not having Sky TV as well.

Basically if you imagine all the nightmare moves to Sky Broadband in the past, before they insisted that you take Sky Talk as well, you have a good picture as to what is happening.

Of course connection speeds are initially dropping too. Once DLM does its work things should improve, but Annex A doesn't compare to a Bonded connection or Annex M.

There is talk that Sky may introduce Annex M across the network. Obviously I'm not in a position to know how well the discussions are going and how soon it could be introduced.

If you are interested in getting SFUP then you could give Sky a call. A few people have been able to get something recently but it isn't 100% of them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

erm a lot of the upload complaints are due to Sky having fixed upsync line profiles. so on annex A if you dont get a fast down sync Sky artificially force you on to one of their lower speed up sync profiles
      I must admit, this does puzzle me. Upload and download use completely different frequencies so there is no logical reason for artificially capping the upload. I too have tried to get a definitive answer for this but have always been fobbed off by them saying 'our technical expert says so' which to me is not an answer at all. All upload speeds should be set to 1.3Mb and allowed to sync as high as the noise margin will allow. Mine is set to 1.3Mb and I sync at 1160 Kb with a margin of 8 db. My download is 11Mb which is no where near the maximum speed. I have seen some posts of stats with a higher upload speed and a lower download, so I don't know where the caps are set. What does your upload speed show as being set at in your MySky broadband page?

Incidentally if you are actually syncing at 768Kb, that suggests you are on G.DMT or ADSL2, not ADSL2+ as you should be.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast