Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Like Tree10Likes

D/S link dropping but U/S staying up

This is a discussion on D/S link dropping but U/S staying up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Apologies for the swear words...........................

DavidJFirman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited & talk
      Router: SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: D/S link dropping but U/S staying up

Apologies for the swear words........................
      Sky unlimited BB - 7006 / 1317 (if it's working).
      [Previously Dialup with Prestel @1200/75; AOL @ 9600; Line One, Tiscali, ClaraNET & C&W @ 56k; then ADSL/ADSL2 from PlusNet, BT, PostOffice and O2]

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Much of the disquiet with the move has been a degree of resentment due to being switched from Be & O2 to Sky. Whether they like it or not Telephonica sold the customer base to Sky.

The Sky Hub Sr102 does work. It doesn't do what the advanced users would like, but it does work.

I was involved in the beta group for the SR101, so I know that works very well too. I did hit some issues with it on Fibre though. The SR102 is otherwise identical, except for the VDSL modem and it works better on Fibre.

I notice the FTTC is available in much of your area. Have you considered this?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Being ex O2/Be I can sympathise with some of what is being said as O2/Be's service was outstanding and the support was even better. But businesses change their direction etc and customers get moved - if they don't like it then they should vote with their wallets and move to another provider.

I have been told (by Level 3) that there are issues with the SR102, particularly when there is a regular data packet flow - ie from pinging the router for BB quality / throughput tests - but changing to/from a 101 / 102 / 101 has made no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I notice the FTTC is available in much of your area. Have you considered this?
      I'd go to fibre in an instant, if it works. But why should I pay more for a faster service that may not work? If Sky want to give me a free "trial" of FTTC as a way of apologising for the 9 BTO visits, the numerous connection freezes etc then I will happily accept it but I fail to see why I should pay more to get a stable service. I'm not interested in speed, just stability.
      Last edited by DavidJFirman; 18-06-14 at 01:21 AM.
      [Previously Dialup with Prestel @1200/75; AOL @ 9600; Line One, Tiscali, ClaraNET & C&W @ 56k; then ADSL/ADSL2 from PlusNet, BT, PostOffice and O2]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJFirman View Post
      Apologies for the swear words........................
      Thank you for this.

Just a friendly reminder for everyone though, this forum is available to be viewed by everyone as it is public. It can be viewed by members and non-members alike.

As Sky's products are used by a wide range of people from new born (perhaps earlier too) until considerably older, there are some things which have to be friendly for everyone. Whilst it is most unlikely that a two year old will be visiting the forum, certainly it is possible for young children to come across it. For this reason the forum rules specifically forbid swear words and any attempts to circumvent them.

Rules of our forum

We do have filters in place to pick up many of the worst ones. Allowing too many of this can be viewed as unacceptable in some cases though.

A good practise, no matter how upset you are, would be to use alternative expressions to vent your frustration.

The staff on this forum do try to keep this a friendly environment for everyone. Thankfully we don't often need to do too much about it.

Thank you for understanding.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJFirman View Post
      Being ex O2/Be I can sympathise with some of what is being said as O2/Be's service was outstanding and the support was even better. But businesses change their direction etc and customers get moved - if they don't like it then they should vote with their wallets and move to another provider.

I have been told (by Level 3) that there are issues with the SR102, particularly when there is a regular data packet flow - ie from pinging the router for BB quality / throughput tests - but changing to/from a 101 / 102 / 101 has made no difference.

I'd go to fibre in an instant, if it works. But why should I pay more for a faster service that may not work? If Sky want to give me a free "trial" of FTTC as a way of apologising for the 9 BTO visits, the numerous connection freezes etc then I will happily accept it but I fail to see why I should pay more to get a stable service. I'm not interested in speed, just stability.
      Sorry for the delay in answering, I got interrupted with something else unrelated (Virus on a friend's Laptop).

I hadn't heard of those issues with the SR102. This isn't to say if they are true or false, but I do know of a specific issue with the SR101 on a Fibre connection. I would hope that the recent updates for the SR102 are designed to fix thee issues, making the info from the level 3 people redundant in this case, providing it is true of course.

As none of the staff on this forum work for Sky, we aren't in a position to offer SFU or SFUP at any discounted price to the membership. If you would like to find out the possible connection speed take a look at the page linked below:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

However do remember that you will still be using the same copper cable from the cabinet to your home for the Internet.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

/control to emotions patch mode: ON

I had another long chat with L3 yesterday, they really are extremely nice people (well, the one I speak to is!). It appears that there is either some incompatibility with the devices on my network with the Sky hub (even thought there is zero LAN side packet loss and no errors), or else the internet pixies are just (rude word deleted ) messing around with my connection.

So, we have agreed that I'm going to try a different router. I don't want to spend a fortune, so the Drayteks, Billions and Netgears of this world are out of the question; but I quite like the look of the TP Link TD-W8970. Does anyone have experience of using this bit of kit with an ADSL 2+ connection?

As an aside point, my letter of complaint should be landing on Sky's proverbial doormat on Monday - let's see what their response is.......

Thanks

I thought it about time that I updated (and closed off) this thread.

I bought and installed (with the help of Wireshark) a TP Link TD-W8970. That was over 4 weeks ago and since then the freezing of my connection has gone away, completely. I put my SR101 (and 102) back on for a trial and the freezing returned. Proof (as far as I am concerned anyhow) that the problem was caused by the Sky hubs.

Unfortunately Sky reneged on their verbal offer to refund the cost of my router and so I have exercised my right to early termination of the contract (which was requested in an email to Sky, and agreed by them in writing) and I'm off to PlusNet.

There are some extremely helpful people on here, especially Scubbie, and that is the only part of Sky which I shall miss - frankly the first line customer service teams should be taken out and shot as they can't even read emails properly, let alone reply with anything useful. Level 3 support were exemplary though and it was very refreshing to be able to talk technical with them.

Overall the service was not bad, when it worked, unfortunately this was only for a couple of months and then the rot set in.

Goodbye Sky subscribers, I wish you well.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Thank you for your feedback and the compliments for the forum.

Just a reminder that we aren't in anyway related to BSkyB though. This forum is run by volunteers who do not work for Sky and the contributors come from a wide range of backgrounds. Some happen to work for Sky, but everyone who contributes is valuable in their own right.

Such a shame that the Customer Support people you dealt with were unhelpful.

Sky does monitor forums like this and hopefully someone will point out what could have been had they endorsed a different policy.

Good luck with PlusNet. They do allow people to use their own routers on their connection, so you should find it a little easier to use your TP-Link router there.

Thanks

Hi Scubbie and thanks for the reply. I know that you and the other moderators are not part of BSkyB and I apologise if my post suggested that you were - what I meant is that not being part of Sky in the near future means that I won't have cause to visit this site anymore.

All all the best,
      Dave

Thanks

That's alright.

Sometimes we have to remember that other people may wish to read a thread, other than the people in the conversation. Someone else may misread the comment which is why I wanted to clarify things.

As for visiting the forum, sure you may not have Sky Broadband or Sky TV, but we do have a few other sections to encourage people to visit us and chip in. There's no rule saying that you can't join in or pass on some knowledge you may have where it is relevant.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456