Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Like Tree10Likes

D/S link dropping but U/S staying up

This is a discussion on D/S link dropping but U/S staying up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right, thought it was time for an update...... My BB has remained up, and relatively stable at 7787 d/s and ...

DavidJFirman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited & talk
      Router: SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: D/S link dropping but U/S staying up

Right, thought it was time for an update...... My BB has remained up, and relatively stable at 7787 d/s and 1173 u/s, for a week ! Level 3 and I have been monitoring the line noise, SNR etc and we have both come to the same conclusion, namely REIN. From about noon every day my BB line is rock solid with a minimal amount of forward errors and packet loss. Then, from about 2000 the Signal level drops from (about) 7dB all the way down to 5dB, with a commensurate increase in errors, packet loss etc. From 0800 the SNR increases back up to 7dB and the errors start to fall off until it reaches the optimum state at noon. This occurs pretty much every day and is confirmed as being somewhere between the local cabinet 500+ yards away and my master socket.

Soi...... a cooperative visit is being arranged for next week and I will have the pleasure of two engineers (Sky and BTO) between the hours of 1000 and 1400 on a day yet to be determined.

Watch this space!
      Sky unlimited BB - 7006 / 1317 (if it's working).
      [Previously Dialup with Prestel @1200/75; AOL @ 9600; Line One, Tiscali, ClaraNET & C&W @ 56k; then ADSL/ADSL2 from PlusNet, BT, PostOffice and O2]

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I realise that it would make for a long day, but logic would suggest that since you can determine when the problem occurs, it would be more sensible for someone to visit when you are experiencing the problem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

It's been a while since my last update, but not a lot has happened until the joint BTO/Sky visit today.

After some 6 hours on site, I now *appear* to have a stable connection, albeit with a slightly slower sync speed (6.7M as opposed to 8.0M before). BTO changed the E side (again) but performed a lot of tests on the pair to make sure that it was of good enough quality for ADSL2+ and he also fitted an internal RF choke/filter to the VDSL socket. Sky Level 3 can see that there is nowhere near as much RF noise on the line as there was before and I will willingly take the hit on speed for increased stability.

The plan is to monitor the line over the weekend and then, if it is still stable, turn on DLM on Monday to see if there can be any speed increase possible - if not, then Sky will fix the noise level at 7dB and I will, hopefully, have a stable line.

Of course if it continues to fall over then the same BTO engineer who came out today has offered to come back as he is REIN trained (he did do some REIN tests today) and wander up and down the roads between here and the exchange.

Fingers crossed for stability, I can then start talking to Sky about the compensation they have offered.....
      [Previously Dialup with Prestel @1200/75; AOL @ 9600; Line One, Tiscali, ClaraNET & C&W @ 56k; then ADSL/ADSL2 from PlusNet, BT, PostOffice and O2]

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Sounds like a good result there.

What are your stats like now?
      How to get your Sky Router statistics

Thanks

I've had a higher speed in the past, but I'll accept this (for now) as long as it stays up with no freezes or hangs...

Connection Speed 6788 kbps 1117 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 dB 27.9 dB
      Noise Margin 7.0 dB 8.8 dB

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

At 44db attenuation, 6788kbps is a tiny bit below par, but certainly within 'normal' parameters.
      That's most likely due to the 7db noise margin though.

DLM is likely to use a target noise margin of 6db & tweek things up to around 8mb downstream.
      DavidJFirman likes this.

Thanks

Let's see what the weekend delivers w.r.t. stability but I agree, 6dB should deliver 8M when DLM has done its 'magic'....

Thanks

Spoke too soon............ I've just had a 1 minute outage. Oh FFS!!!!!

Thanks

I've been thinking (dangerous I know!). If I still have a REIN issue, which is obviously affecting the Sky hub and causing it to drop out, would switching to a different router make a positive difference?

I still have my old O2 Wireless Box IV (which is currently working very well as an AP and switch) as well as an O2 Wireless Box 2 (not being used). All routers have different tolerances to line noise etc and as my connection was stable with O2, would I benefit from using the O2 box as the Router/Modem and then have the Sky hub piggybacking off of it?

I have seen posts where other people have done the same and some have managed to get it working but your thoughts / comments etc would be most welcome - especially if anyone here has actually done what I am thinking of and has got it working.

Alternatively, if I can get a free upgrade to fibre from Sky (compensation etc) does the fibre modem tolerate line noise / REIN any better than the SR102 Sky hub?
      Last edited by DavidJFirman; 17-05-14 at 07:54 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

It is possible that another router may be able to handle REIN issues better than the Sky Hub SR102, but I wouldn't recommend switching over right now.

As for Fibre, don't laugh, but your SR102 is designed to work on all of Sky's current ADSL and FTTC packages.

As for any potential issues with Fibre, it depends where the REIN issue is. If it is between the cabinet and your home, you could well have the same problems.

I would definitely chat with your neighbours to see what experiences they are getting. You never know, they may well have the same problem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast