Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky broadband intermittent despite 6 engineer visits!

This is a discussion on Sky broadband intermittent despite 6 engineer visits! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by perch123 Thanks, I will try moving it away from electrical things and unplugging the voipfone for now ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky broadband intermittent despite 6 engineer visits!

Quote Originally Posted by perch123 View Post
      Thanks, I will try moving it away from electrical things and unplugging the voipfone for now and see if that works.

Do you think by switching providers to another company this would work or is there an issue on the line which would happen with whatever company I'm with?
      This^.
      99.9999% of the time it's a fault somewhere along the copper cable between your home & the phone exchange building.
      Any other provider will use the same line & you'll start all over again with the same problem.

Also, don't give up.
      My line developed a fault once & after several weeks, found myself in the same position as you...
      5 or 6 bto visits + other jobs done & still none the wiser.
      In the end bto effectively gave up, put me on another line between the street cabinet & exchange & everything's been hunky dory since.

Despite their 'sophisticated' equipment, they can't always detect exactly what or where the fault is.

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The Mk 2 vdSL faceplate has a filter for REIN so it really shouldn't be that. there isn't much else they can do if it's that. The 80B RF3 used to be the fix but that has the same filter as the Mk2 IIRC. Does the BB drop if the phone rings or during the first few minutes of a conversation? Had a problem like that & after 10 OR engineer visits it was sorted by manually profiling the line DOWN. Obviously speed drops but it was at least stable. 18 months of fun that was......
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If Virgin Media is available then switching to them would help as they use a different line and different technology otherwise I would expect any providers ADSL broadband to suffer from the same problem.

I would try Isitme's suggestion and run a continuous check over 24 hours.
      Could you also provide your current line stats?

You say the problem only occurs after 10 o'clock in the morning. After what time at night does the line become stable?

perch123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      The Mk 2 vdSL faceplate has a filter for REIN so it really shouldn't be that. there isn't much else they can do if it's that. The 80B RF3 used to be the fix but that has the same filter as the Mk2 IIRC. Does the BB drop if the phone rings or during the first few minutes of a conversation? Had a problem like that & after 10 OR engineer visits it was sorted by manually profiling the line DOWN. Obviously speed drops but it was at least stable. 18 months of fun that was......
      I never use the phone (other than to call Sky) and it rarely rings so it's not that.

What does manually profiling the line down mean?

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      If Virgin Media is available then switching to them would help as they use a different line and different technology otherwise I would expect any providers ADSL broadband to suffer from the same problem.

I would try Isitme's suggestion and run a continuous check over 24 hours.
      Could you also provide your current line stats?

You say the problem only occurs after 10 o'clock in the morning. After what time at night does the line become stable?
      The last couple of days for example between around 10am and 2pm it's been down so much and pretty much unusable. Yesterday evening was a bit better going down every half hour to an hour. This may just be random though. I don't use it overnight so not sure what happens there.

I'll try the continuous check...I did have this on yesterday evening and when it was going down the noise ratio wasn't adjusting.

When I say it's going down though the light on the front of the router is still solid white but the internet isn't working. Not sure if that;s a different problem to it resetting every time?

dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm no expert but was offered this yesterday would it help in this case?
      thinkbroadband :: Broadband Quality Monitor

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      The Mk 2 vdSL faceplate has a filter for REIN so it really shouldn't be that.
      Isn't the faceplate REIN filter acting on the consumer side i.e. the internal household phone wiring? If it can have a meaningful effect on the supply side i.e. induced noise of any sort hitting the line, possibly miles away, that would be remarkable and I'd be interested in any info you can provide.

What does manually profiling the line down mean?
      It's what I explained earlier (posts #5 & #7). Instead of letting DLM choose the sync, setting it manually to give a higher than normal noise margin, which will help if the issue is noise. The downside is that higher noise margin equals lower sync speed but it can make a poor line stable.

When I say it's going down though the light on the front of the router is still solid white but the internet isn't working.
      Can you be more specific. What do you mean by "internet not working". This isn't a wireless issue is it? i.e. can you connect to the router wired if not wirelessly? I'm wondering if we're chasing the wrong problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dnpark38 View Post
      I'm no expert but was offered this yesterday would it help in this case?
      thinkbroadband :: Broadband Quality Monitor
      That's a useful tool but it is simply testing whether the router is reachable from an external source i.e. testing the WAN connection. This gives useful info about latency and congestion but doesn't tell you anything about the ADSL connection. However, if that tool shows a continuous connection* when the "internet is not working" then that would tell you that there was a LAN side problem. It could be that there is a LAN and an ADSL problem though of course.

A tool which will offer info on the ADSL connection i.e. noise margin over time is Routerstats Lite.

* the BQM tool can't cope with a changing IP address. If the connection is being dropped then it is likely a new IP will be assigned (unless it's a fibre connection).

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Isn't the faceplate REIN filter acting on the consumer side i.e. the internal household phone wiring? If it can have a meaningful effect on the supply side i.e. induced noise of any sort hitting the line, possibly miles away, that would be remarkable and I'd be interested in any info you can provide.
      It filters the line on entry, ie, anything upstream present on the line. I haven't got a schematic but I can't see it working in any other way TBH. The only other option is to fit a BT 80B RF3. When I get a moment I'll pull one apart and take a look at the circuit...
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post

It's what I explained earlier (posts #5 & #7). Instead of letting DLM choose the sync, setting it manually to give a higher than normal noise margin, which will help if the issue is noise. The downside is that higher noise margin equals lower sync speed but it can make a poor line stable.

Can you be more specific. What do you mean by "internet not working". This isn't a wireless issue is it? i.e. can you connect to the router wired if not wirelessly? I'm wondering if we're chasing the wrong problem.

That's a useful tool but it is simply testing whether the router is reachable from an external source i.e. testing the WAN connection. This gives useful info about latency and congestion but doesn't tell you anything about the ADSL connection. However, if that tool shows a continuous connection* when the "internet is not working" then that would tell you that there was a LAN side problem. It could be that there is a LAN and an ADSL problem though of course.

A tool which will offer info on the ADSL connection i.e. noise margin over time is Routerstats Lite.

* the BQM tool can't cope with a changing IP address. If the connection is being dropped then it is likely a new IP will be assigned (unless it's a fibre connection).

Answer: The internet goes down...I can't access web pages, email, Skype etc. I've tried it wired and it's the same problem. When the internet goes down the wireless network still works.

Thanks

Another weird problem. So one of the times today the internet has stopped working...i.e. white light still on but can't get on any website, outlook etc. not working. However Facebook chat was still working on the browser despite nothing else working. I've had this before with Skype at times sometimes working whilst nothing else is.

Does anyone know what the problem could be here and why this happens?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast