Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Filtered faceplate, how fast can I go now?

This is a discussion on Filtered faceplate, how fast can I go now? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently had my line activated in my new house. Unfortunately I didn't get my filtered faceplate in time for ...

nevets5891 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESNRB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I recently had my line activated in my new house. Unfortunately I didn't get my filtered faceplate in time for the connection going active so I waited until the 10 days DLM finished.

I fitted it today and was happy to see the Noise Margin and the download sync speed increase.

I'm just impatient to know what my maximum sync speed could be, and if it will automatically resync again even though I'm outside the first 10 days now?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filtered faceplate, how fast can I go now?-router-stats-24-03-14-after-faceplate.jpg   Filtered faceplate, how fast can I go now?-router-stats-24-03-14-before-faceplate.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: Filtered faceplate, how fast can I go now?

You could phone Sky and ask them to restart DLM training as you've made some improvements. This may be quicker than waiting for DLM to automatically update.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      You could phone Sky and ask them to restart DLM training as you've made some improvements. This may be quicker than waiting for DLM to automatically update.
      I was thinking of doing that, and I was going to ask to be put on the gamer profile too as I was on it in my old house. I'm not exactly sure what the gamer profile is though to be honest?

dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nevets5891 View Post
      I was thinking of doing that, and I was going to ask to be put on the gamer profile too as I was on it in my old house. I'm not exactly sure what the gamer profile is though to be honest?
      With Be I could select a couple of things.
      Optimise for speed
      Game mode
      With them checked I got about 2 extra Mbps

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nevets5891 View Post
      I think the gamer profile lowers your pings, but fixes you at a particular speed. There are different points at which your speed is fixed, so you may see in a decrease in connection speed in order to get the lower pings

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I think sky could be in a transitional period regarding this kind of thing at the moment.

Firstly, up until a few weeks ago, sky staff were limited to using a 7db noise margin for any manual line configuration such as gamer profile, which in turn would inevitably result in less speed than what DLM was capable of, using 6 or sometimes 3db.
      Also, the gamer profile would fix the max delays to 8ms, so the best ping times one could hope for would be around 20ms, usually a little higher.

There's been a few accounts now of people having a manual configuration done using 3db for increased speed, but nothing to indicate latency can be improved manually in the same way.

In addition, DLM is now capable of setting max delays below 8ms.
      It appears to be quite rare that it does this, however from what i've seen it does tend to at least use values that result in ping times no higher than what the gamer profile would give, especially on lines that sync above 16380kbps.
      All this with the bonus that speed won't be compromised by a 7db noise margin.

Of couse, with changes occurring in the last few weeks, sky may have tweaked their systems beyond what i'm aware of + there's the new 'unlimited pro' service charging in to the equation now, with its own 'gaming mode'.

Best bet is to give them a call & see what they can do.
      If it's not satisfactory, you can always ask for DLM to be run again.
      I have similar attenuation figures to you (22.5 / 13.9), sync at 22 / 1.15 & ping bbc at 15ms, all done by DLM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

mattan (26-03-14),nevets5891 (26-03-14)

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Not sure i would want someone at sky who hasnt got a clue what theyr doing messing with my profile
      if i was pulling a 1.3mbit upstream sync

You will be on a 768 upstream sync before you know it..

I would try and get them to restart dlm though

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Shonk View Post
      Not sure i would want someone at sky who hasnt got a clue what theyr doing messing with my profile
      if i was pulling a 1.3mbit upstream sync

You will be on a 768 upstream sync before you know it..

I would try and get them to restart dlm though
      LOL.
      True.

Bit off topic here, but something i've noticed is that new DLM seems to be using upstream target noise margins lower than 9db for sr101/102 hubs, yet still on 9db with the sagem.
      The 2 other instances i've come across of DLM giving pings below the 8ms delays threshold have been with the sagem.
      During my last DLM train, the sync at which my pings dropped from the usual 23ms to 15ms coincided with a drop in upstream speed, from 1212kbps to 1160kbps, almost as if that little sacrifice was a necessity for the lower latency.
      It's definitely capped at 1160, even though 'old' DLM would give 1175.
      Some resyncs give 115x.

Not sure what to make of that really.
      Last edited by gymno; 26-03-14 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      I think sky could be in a transitional period regarding this kind of thing at the moment.

Firstly, up until a few weeks ago, sky staff were limited to using a 7db noise margin for any manual line configuration such as gamer profile, which in turn would inevitably result in less speed than what DLM was capable of, using 6 or sometimes 3db.
      Also, the gamer profile would fix the max delays to 8ms, so the best ping times one could hope for would be around 20ms, usually a little higher.

There's been a few accounts now of people having a manual configuration done using 3db for increased speed, but nothing to indicate latency can be improved manually in the same way.

In addition, DLM is now capable of setting max delays below 8ms.
      It appears to be quite rare that it does this, however from what i've seen it does tend to at least use values that result in ping times no higher than what the gamer profile would give, especially on lines that sync above 16380kbps.
      All this with the bonus that speed won't be compromised by a 7db noise margin.

Of couse, with changes occurring in the last few weeks, sky may have tweaked their systems beyond what i'm aware of + there's the new 'unlimited pro' service charging in to the equation now, with its own 'gaming mode'.

Best bet is to give them a call & see what they can do.
      If it's not satisfactory, you can always ask for DLM to be run again.
      I have similar attenuation figures to you (22.5 / 13.9), sync at 22 / 1.15 & ping bbc at 15ms, all done by DLM.
      Thanks for that. I think I'll just give them a call and get them to restart DLM. Sounds like it's the best bet to get a good setting. From past experience it can be very hit or miss with which CS you get when you call.

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

DLM is your best bet.

If you are on WLR3 then they can manually type in the download/upload speed to set your line to as well as selecting the delay i.e. 8ms, 16ms or 32ms however if you are on SVBN then they only have set profiles to pick from which means if your speed is lower they cannot select a lower delay setting.

Also the lowest they can manually configure the SNR to is 7 so you may find if the line is of decent quality DLM can drop it below this and you may get a better speed.

On the other toss of the coin the highest they can manually configure your line to is 20 Mbps however DLM is capable of configuring the line above this once again dependant on your line and there is much less potential for the line to be configured incorrectly and to then cause you more issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog1979 For This Useful Post:

nevets5891 (27-03-14)