Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unusual problem!

This is a discussion on Unusual problem! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok so here's the thing. I've just moved house and sky told me my internet would be active the 28th ...

JoeyF1985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unusual problem!

Ok so here's the thing. I've just moved house and sky told me my internet would be active the 28th of this month, fine I'll make do without. So i've moved into my place and I plug my stuff in. Here's my setup.

Skybroadband SR101 router wired into - Sony Bravia TV, Playstation 4, Desktop PC, Sky HD box
      Connected Wirelessly - PC laptop, Iphone, Ipad

So on friday morning right before they disconnected me everything worked perfectly.

3 days later i've moved into my new house, Plugged everything in, I know my internet isn't going to be working for another 2 weeks but thats fine. Until I notice that my internet IS working WOOHOO sky must have connected me earlier than they had said.

However, here's the problem, only the wireless stuff works, everything that uses an Ethernet cable doesn't which is strange, so I test out the WiFi connections on the TV, PS4 desktop pc, and the internet works fine.

I can't really get my head around why the router would stop letting me use ethernet cables? I did some searches and it's been suggested I might be using a test line or something, as the speed is quite slow. But I don't get why the wireless would work but the ethernet ports wouldn't.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Unusual problem!

Mmm. Odd. Have you tried connecting a single device of each port individually?

JoeyF1985 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Yeah, I've tried every combination I can imagine.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I suspect that the previous occupants might have been on Sky, which is why you are able to connect. Good news for you, but be careful with making phone calls.

As for the router not working on Ethernet, this is an issue.

The first step I would suggest would be to backup any settings you have made by saving them to a config file. Also make a written record of them if possible.

Next, when the router has power, press the 'Reset' button on the rear of the router for a good 10 seconds. This will wipe those personal settings.

Allow the router to reboot and test with at least one Ethernet device that it all works. If it does, then restore those settings and test again.

If you have never changed any of the router settings, then you can skip the piece about saving them, etc. However I would recommend changing the log in password as a minimum. Changing the SSDI (Wireless name) and Wireless password are also a good idea.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Chances are you are on a test speed. What may have happened is that if the previous occupier was on Sky BB, it would be stopped, but the ADSL line is still carrying Sky's tag.

That apart it would not matter what type of line testing was taking place it should not effect the switch side of the router, the ethernet ports should still work. What happens when you disconnect the router from the phone line? Do you still have a problem with the ports? If you do, there is a good chance the router is faulty. Do as Scubbie suggests and if the problem persists, get on to Sky and make them aware of the problem. They will fob you off with the old 'you must wait 10 days' excuse, but that will not help if the router has a fault.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The wireless devices are deffo connecting to YOUR router & not some open AP?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.