Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Everything look set up okay?

This is a discussion on Everything look set up okay? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, Can you have a quick look at my set up and let me know if all looks okay? I ...

redrum217uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: DUNSTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Everything look set up okay?

Hello,

Can you have a quick look at my set up and let me know if all looks okay? I ordered a vDSL faceplate and just installed it. it was super easy, so thanks to Scubbie for the reassurance I have the added fun that I have an XNTE.

This is how it is wired up to bypass the XNTE (BT did this about a year ago when it died)

Everything look set up okay?-img_20140307_160702.jpgEverything look set up okay?-img_20140307_160724.jpgEverything look set up okay?-img_20140307_160743.jpg

(Excuse the bug)

This is how my faceplate is wired up when I was fitting the vDSL faceplate, I think this is just the extensions? I didn't take the current faceplate off to look at the wiring behind it though, not sure if its worth it?

Everything look set up okay?-img_20140307_160234.jpg

So what do you think? Do I need to ask SKY to reset my DLM or whatever its called? I did notice my D/L sync went from 14790 to 15540 my upload stayed the same at 1208.

Is it worth getting an RJ45 cable to RJ11 or just stick with the supplied RJ11 cable sky gave me?

Thanks
      Scubbie likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Everything look set up okay?

The XNTE wiring looks as good as it will get for now. Short of replacing the wiring between the XNTE and your Master socket with some better telephone cable it is fine as it is.

The supplied RJ11 cable from Sky will be fine. If your FTTC connection speed is short of the max for the package you are getting then you might want to consider getting a shield RJ11 cable. These are more useful where people want to place the router at some distance from the socket.

I suspect that your initial speed jump is due to the fact that you now have the VDSL filtered faceplate. The picture of the NTE5 faceplate shows that you have the bell wire correctly wired. This is known to reduce the connection speed and is now isolated from the ADSL signal.

DLM will normally automatically kick in by itself. I'm not sure how long it will take, so I would suggest taking a look at the WAN Uptime tomorrow morning to see if the connection was reset overnight. If you want to get someone from Sky to definitely get it going, call them after 9am tomorrow. Personally I would wait a few days first.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie, I am pulling in faster speeds from speed test.net despite it being a lower sync speed from a few weeks ago. I was on over 16000 when they were playing with my connection.

I'm tempted to pull the bell wire anyway as it serves no purpose, as I don't have a pulse phone no harm if I do I suppose?

Thanks again for your informative reply

Thanks

The bell wire is totally isolated from the ADSL signal with the VDSL filtered faceplate. It would serve a purpose if you have a telephone which requires it, so I would suggest leaving it there now.

I meant to say that it will be useful to see your current connection stats.

Basically the Noise Margin (aka SNR) figure should have jumped up a little. As DLM improves the connection speed, this figure will reduce to 3dB, but then increase to around 6dB if your line can't handle the 3dB setting.

BTW: I'm glad that you did find it easy to fit. Obviously not everyone is happy with DIY work, but I think in this instance fitting the VDSL faceplate was easy enough.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

It was soooo easy! Its just like plug and play.

Here is my states from yesterday

Everything look set up okay?-screenshot_2014-03-06-07-26-42.jpg

And here is my stats from just now, my house mate just unplugged the router by mistake and my D/L speed has dropped 300

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15203 kbps 1198 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.0 dB 15.9 dB
      Noise Margin 7.2 dB 7.7 dB

Thanks

Looking at the tool available on this site, and those figures, you may be able to achieve a download speed of nearer 16mb than you have already, perhaps more.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

redrum217uk (08-03-14)

Thanks

Hello,

This morning stats are

Connection Speed 15673 kbps 1117 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.0 dB 15.9 dB
      Noise Margin 6.1 dB 7.7 dB

My speed tests have improved by a few 100 Kb/s I usually get between 12 and 13 Mb/s. I'm now consistently hitting 13.4Mb/s and my ping is lower which has always been 36 and over, I'm now getting 28.

I'm now running a BQM, my latency hasn't improve didn't I didn't expect it to.

This is such a helpful forum

Thanks

Good to see that the downstream speed has improved. There may be further improvements, but I'm not 100% sure as the Noise Margin is now at 6.1dB. Sadly your upstream speed dropped a little. Again this may improve.

Since DLM is reprofiling your line, the BQM won't be much good. You IP Address is different this morning to what it was last night and will likely change again tonight if DLM adjusts your line speed again.

Thanks

Hello,

Very true about the BQM

The drop in upload hasn't actually affected the upload speed in speed tests, which I'm glad.

Today's stats are good for speed but bad for SNR, I know the HUB can handle down to 3 though, but I'm guessing it might change again. I just did a speed test and got about 14.4Mbp/s and my Line Attenuation has dropped slightly. If I was to plug a laptop into my router should I get the full 17Mbp/s or would I still lose a few? (its at work so can't test it) but I notice when my line was set about just over 15Mb/s I still only get around 13Mbp/s

Guess it will be a few days to really settle down and decide on a good speed. But my line has never attempted to connect at 1700kbps.

Connection Speed 17022 kbps 1137 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.5 dB 15.9 dB
      Noise Margin 3.5 dB 7.7 dB

Thanks
      Last edited by redrum217uk; 09-03-14 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks

Line stability is the main target that Sky use. In most cases a Noise Margin of around 3dB is achievable, but there will often be errors which the Sky routers don't let the customers see (other routers do).

17mb is excellent but judging from what other members have previously posted when their lines were profiled by DLM I would suggest that it will slow down a little and the Noise Margin will be raised to about 6dB.

Running a speed test over WiFi (or via a pair of HomePlugs) will never give the best results. It is always a good idea to run the test via an Ethernet cable. You won't get speed test to show the same as your connection speed as they use different measurements (bits and bytes). There will also be overheads which can account for a few percentage points too in the difference.

Take my connection for a moment. My connection speed is 80mb d/l & 20mb u/l. My speed tests consistently give me around 74.50mb d/l and 18.60mb u/l.

Connection Speed 80000 kbps 20000 kbps

My SR101 doesn't show the Line Attenuation and Noise Margin figures as it has to connect via the BTO Modem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast