Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

Everything look set up okay?

This is a discussion on Everything look set up okay? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I thought I'd get a lower speed than the sync speed, SKY said I should get the exact same. I ...

redrum217uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: DUNSTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Everything look set up okay?

I thought I'd get a lower speed than the sync speed, SKY said I should get the exact same. I do find SKY tech help very hit and miss, some seem really clued up others don't have a clue and just tell me a load of rubbish which I know is wrong, all very friendly though and wanting to help. I should bring my work laptop home as run some tests as you suggest.

One thing that has happened is my wifi seemed to drop out. While steaming a film last night it buffed and all my devices couldn't find the wifi network at all for a few minutes, couldn't even see the SSID. I did phone sky when it didn't come back on and they said everything was perfect at their end so it must have been wifi related as it seemed to fix itself.

This morning my stream buffered again but restarting the program worked fine and the wifi didn't drop out. I'm hoping this is just a temporary thing while DLM is running and not as a result of the vDSL faceplate, can't see why that would do anything.

Thanks again for your reply

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The only thing that the people in Sky's call centres will see is the broadband connection. They won't easily have access to your router in order to check things such as the WiFi signal.

Just ask them if the port forwarding to your laptop is working correctly as well, whilst they are checking your WiFi, and see what they say.

Why did it play up then? I'm not sure.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

redrum217uk (09-03-14)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

One of the problems with the automatic wireless channel selection the router uses is that while it is changing the channel the wireless signal will be interrupted. This may not matter with normal surfing but it could have a bad effect when streaming video or making VoIP calls. I would discover the best channel in your area and manually set the router to it. If it does not help you can put the auto setting back on. Inssider, link below, is good for scanning for the best channel.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

redrum217uk (09-03-14)

Thanks

I was on channel 1 and I'm lucky enough to be the only one using it, everyone else is crowded round channel 6 or I think 11. I've manually set it to 1 and I'll see how it goes.

It was just weird last night it was like my wifi had been knocked out and didn't want to work for a while, the drop this morning was just a minor blip.

Is there anything you guys don't know?

Thanks

My stats haven't changed for 3 days so I'm guessing its probably not.

I really am pulling down a faster speed so the faceplate did work.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15942 kbps 1152 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.0 dB 15.9 dB
      Noise Margin 6.3 dB 7.7 dB

Its interesting my neighbour has his downstream at 18000 kbps and is noise is 3.1 but he has the on wireless N router, which as far as I know the Hub would struggle to handle. The more I know about the Sky Hub the more I realise how crap it is, especially with the throughput for people on fibre and having to buy wifi access points just to get good speeds over wifi.

Oh wel I'm not on fibre so don't have to worry about that yet, I'm just happy with my slightly faster connection

Thanks Scubbie and Isitme for all your help and advice
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Those stats look good.

Is your neighbour with Sky for his broadband?

The reason I ask is because each ISP will have different parameters. The actual physical line it self can make a huge difference. Copper cable can degrade over time, so too can the connectors in the street cabinet.

There are various other places where 'joints' in your telephone cable are used, each is a potential point where the signal can deteriorate.

Some people have BT Junction boxes and often these are just forgotten. However the cable inside them will have been exposed to air and the copper will degrade over time.

Then when your cable enters the telephone exchange the individual cable can then be bundled with others. This can potentially cause interference between the different lines, although I would expect BTO to use something to reduce this.

Finally your line will connect to a point on their telephone/broadband kit. This too can deteriorate over time.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

redrum217uk (13-03-14)

Thanks

Yeah he is with sky, but I just think its because the other routers can handle lower SNR, I could be talking utter nonsense of course!
      Saying that when I did a speedtest I got a very similar speed as mine about 13.5meg but this was on my mobile and I find mobile devises give slower speeds anyway.

I've read about joints and so on, I'm hoping it won't affect me when I go onto Fibre, out of interest, do you know if my XNTE classed as a joint and what are the chances of it reducing my speed?

Thanks

The SR101 and SR102 are capable routers.

I was involved in the beta group for the SR101 whilst on an ADSL connection and pushed it a lot. It retained a good connection speed but things did change a fair bit whilst I was using it. I have put this down to a known issue when Fibre is being installed in the local area, which was happening.

The SR102 has a few internal improvements, such as a VDSL Modem, but otherwise I believe it is very much the same.

The joint at the XNTE will hopefully be gel crimped. If this is the case, then it will be sealed from any potential environmental influence.

The cable from the SNTE to the Master Socket may not be the best quality cable. Often the cable used will be fine for a voice call, but not for data.

Another recent change is the Master Socket. Apparently this too has also been changed recently with the removal of a component. Check on the forums on the run-IT-direct site for more info on this.

I would expect your neighbour to have an identical set up.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Your neigbour's connection is higher because the noise margin is 3db lower. It's likely Sky's DLM has found that the line can support the lower margin. As it constantly monitors the line you may benefit too, but as Scubbie has stated, there are many factors that affect the line quality.

Thanks

Thanks guys. A speed test on a laptop does indeed give about 15.5Mbps which is 2mbps more than me, slightly disappointed when he is 2 doors down from me in a row of terrace houses, which makes him further away from the exchange (assumption) I am just being picky of course. ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12