Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

snr noise margins...

This is a discussion on snr noise margins... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; what is going on..never had anything like this before..with bethere or the 7 days with sky... I'm led to believe ...

ukgeoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester East
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: netgear 834n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

snr noise margins...

what is going on..never had anything like this before..with bethere or the 7 days with sky...
      I'm led to believe by sky that DLM is not run on my line since I got auto migrated from bethere...although i beg to differ looking at line resets between 1-3 am. The first graph happened this morning..... but the line stayed up....
      the second.... i have never had snr as high as 7.3 before...(i reset the router 17.30ish where the snr first dropped)

snr noise margins...-down-snr.jpgsnr noise margins...-snrlow.jpgsnr noise margins...-snrlow1.jpg
      Last edited by ukgeoff; 05-03-14 at 08:19 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: snr noise margins...

Reading the table the Noise Margin or SNR is going as low as 3dB. Sky does support this setting.

The fluctuation can be caused by a number of factors though, such as an issue with your line.

You say that you haven't had any disconnections, which is a good sign.

As for the line resetting between 1am and 3am, this is likely to be DLM doing its work. This is normal if DLM thinks that there is a problem or during the initial line training.

You have only just been connected to Sky, so DLM needs to complete its initial training to get the best from your connection. It will last for up to 10 days in the majority of cases.

Should a problem develop at a later date, or something that DLM thinks is a problem, then the training will kick in again. Switching off your router several times over a short period can be enough to trigger DLM to think that there may be an issue.

With the new changes with DLM, it tends to recover a lot better now that it ever did before.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

ukgeoff (05-03-14)

ukgeoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester East
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: netgear 834n
      Thanks

Scubbie;432145]Reading the table the Noise Margin or SNR is going as low as 3dB. Sky does support this setting.
      good to hear

The fluctuation can be caused by a number of factors though, such as an issue with your line.
      BTO checked the line..reported ok...i looked at the results myself..being ex-install eng(granted 7 years ago and things do change..funnily. the eng was someone who i worked with on jobs in man uni)

You say that you haven't had any disconnections, which is a good sign.
      yeah..went down to 2.2..still worked ok...

As for the line resetting between 1am and 3am, this is likely to be DLM doing its work. This is normal if DLM thinks that there is a problem or during the initial line training.
      Sky CS still points you worse than help....( mysky imo)and saying that dlm will not be on be-sky movers...

You have only just been connected to Sky, so DLM needs to complete its initial training to get the best from your connection. It will last for up to 10 days in the majority of cases.
      k

Should a problem develop at a later date, or something that DLM thinks is a problem, then the training will kick in again. Switching off your router several times over a short period can be enough to trigger DLM to think that there may be an issue.
      aye...did that when i was trying out modem line setting on a DRAYTEK 2860n plus a cpl days ago... to try achieve a better speed..but as its a new kit..there are no long line firmware for it..as yet..put skybox on later..synched at 4.1 first instance..then 4.7down/5.6 up...

With the new changes with DLM, it tends to recover a lot better now that it ever did before.
      whats different... i know skys DLM is diff from bt's but what diff?

oh PS..WITH YOUR SPEEDS... LIVING IN OR OVER THE EXCHANGE,DOES THE NOISE NOT GET ON YA NERVES.?????...
      Last edited by ukgeoff; 05-03-14 at 09:51 PM. Reason: COMMENT

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

When you are switched from one provider to another the BTO Engineer will change at least one cable connection. It could well be that the connection was changed only in the telephone exchange, or the connection was changed in the Green Street Cabinet. You will now not be using the identical line configuration that you were using before.

It has been known for the engineers to take the opportunity and switch you to a different trunk cable between the cabinet and the exchange.

The My Sky page takes about 3 days to update. You may find that today or tomorrow it will show that DLM is running.

I know that the signal strength changes over the course of the day. To be fair, since the DLM software resets the line overnight, I would be tempted to leave it alone and not try to squeeze that little extra out, especially at the moment.

The changes that have been applied over the last two years to the DLM software have greatly improved things. Sure the upload still isn't great for most, when compared to Be/O2, but Sky's aim is for a stable connection.

As for my own speeds, my ADSL line was/is actually about 800m long, so there is a little motor traffic between me and the exchange . I'm now on SFUP which works slightly differently. The speed drops from the cabinet, not the exchange. Again my cabinet is a few metres from where I live.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms