Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

WPA to WPA2 the lazy way

This is a discussion on WPA to WPA2 the lazy way within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Forgive me if this is obvious but my old DG834 router died the other week and Sky provided FOC replacement ...

BaldyBouncer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Highams Park LNHPK
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

WPA to WPA2 the lazy way

Forgive me if this is obvious but my old DG834 router died the other week and Sky provided FOC replacement in the shape of SR102

The old router used WPA security and my shiny new SR102 has WPA2 which I know is more secure and which I intend to use.

OK here's the thing I have many devices attached to my home network, NAS, Sonos, phones, cameras etc. now I used to use mac filtering and fixed ip's as well which i want to continue with on new router.

Since all my existing devices already have the old SSID and password locked into them if wanted a quick fix could I adjust new SR102 to have same SSID and password as old router and therefore not have to link all my devices again or is this defeating the object of WPA2 and reducing my security?

Put another way is the password structure or protocol different in WPA2 meaning I couldn't use old SSID and password as this would reduce things back to plain old WPA.

Try not to laugh too much if I've lost the plot and before anyone says, yes I know I'm being a little lazy here but that's what weekends are for

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: WPA to WPA2 the lazy way

Unfortunately all those devices will need to be reprogrammed to work with WPA2.

If you were simply keeping the same SSID and security settings, then it would work a treat. However functions such as the WPS button do not work unless you have WPA2 selected. This function is quite useful and works well.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi Scubbie you seem to pop up everywhere

Probably didn't make myself clear if I select WPA2 as security profile in new router but then change the SSID and password to match old router would the old devices connect or are they only programmed to link to old style WPA.

Probably won't use WPS button as mac filtering and hidden SSID wouldn't work with that would they?

Thanks

Some say like a bad penny

I did read correctly.

The devices you have been connecting to the old DG834GT ar set to use WPA in their settings. If you were to set the same SSID on the new router and use WPA2, then their settings will not work. I've done something is the past where I tried just changing the security settings.

To be fair I used to use MAC filtering all the time. The list got quite long as I added friends to the list and it was more of a nuisance than a help. WPA2 is pretty secure. WEP is easy to crack and there are tools available to do this.

MAC filtering can also be easily broken by spoofing the MAC. Hackers will be aware of this and know how to do it.

The system which Sky to check for people hacking the WPS, I am assured from the people who are responsible for developing it, very good. Essentially if someone attempts to use the wrong key too many times, it locks everyone out from using it for a period of time and doesn't tell them. Anyone correctly connected over WiFi will be unaffected.

I always recommend changing the standard SSID and Password supplied with a Sky router as all the default WiFi passwords for Sky's routers are made from 8 capital letters. That's a total of 20,882,706,4576 possible passwords. With current computing power I doubt if it would take too long for someone to compose a program to run them all to see what someone's router is using.

WPS can be really useful. As more new devices come with it available now it makes connecting them to a router very quick too. Even connecting a new laptop is much easier now. Simply click on the Wireless Icon, select your router's SSID and press the WPS button.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you set the new router up with the same SSID and password you devices will connect, irrespective if you select WPA or WPA2. There is one provision and that is that the devices you have are able to connect using WPA2. Some older devices are not compatible with WPA2 and will not connect. If you find this is the case select WPA+WPA2-PSK with TKIP+AES encryption, each device will then connect with the highest encryption it is able to support.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks Isitme I will try the lazy approach.

I set up my static IP's and mac filters last night so if I can migrate the old SSID and password then I'm pretty much ready to go whereas I'd resigned myself to an hour or so of relinking every device. If it doesn't work then I can always start afresh I suppose.

Will post how I get on.

One last thing I notice in your signature the TCP optimiser link. Used this myself a few years ago with my newly deceased DG834 and my XP work Laptop and saw pretty good wireless speed increases.

Now that I'm on SR102 and use windows 7 works laptop is TCP still relevant today?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It can help, but not to the same extent it did with XP. Win 7 and 8 are pretty well optimised for broadband, which XP wasn't.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Just to confirm that I managed to connect every device other than my laptop first time as all seemed to be configured for both WPA/WPA2 so handled the migration automatically once I'd input my old SSID and password on new router.

The laptop was subtly different in that I just had to adjust the security profile from WPA AES to WPA2 AES and then it connected without my having to enter password and SSID details.

So lazy does work

Cheers to Scubbie & Isitme for advice.

Thanks

Nice to see it works for most devices without any additional work.