Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replacement router recommendation

This is a discussion on Replacement router recommendation within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello I've get multiple connection drops since switching to Sky earlier this month. On the other board some people solved ...

Fliday is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Replacement router recommendation

Hello

I've get multiple connection drops since switching to Sky earlier this month.

On the other board some people solved this same problem by using another router. So I extracted the password and tried my Thomsom Speedtouch from BE -- but no success.

Can anyone recommend a router < 30/40 that will work with Sky unlimited?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Replacement router recommendation

If you came from O2 or BE did you try the BE/O2 login details on your Thomson?

You will find them here- Using your O2 or Be router on a Sky Broadband (ADSL) connection

To be honest, its unlikely to be the router which is causing the drop outs, more likely a problem with your line. If you post your router stats we will see what we can do to help. It is also a good idea to download and run Routerstats Lite to give you an idea how your noise margin is behaving.
      Internet Software

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Isittime

Well I moved my bb and landline manually over from BE to save a bit of money. When I tried the Speedtouch there was nowhere to enter the login and password in.

Thanks for offering to look at the stats. I'll download that program but here are the stats that come with the 102:

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 00:30:18
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 179665 344718 0 44926 2321840 00:28:59
      LAN Up 344563 179172 0 2627370 68070 00:30:18
      WLAN Up 7243 5551 0 4085 10932 00:29:55

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18731 kbps 1184 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.0 dB 10.9 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 7.7 dB

Thanks.

Thanks

That looks pretty good. Unless your noise margin is fluctuating a lot you should not be getting drop outs. Let's see what RSL says when you have run it for a few hours. I find it better to set the Sample nterval on the graph set up to 60 secs, with 480 points per page. This gives you 3 graphs covering a 24 hour period. Fluctuations are better seen on the graph than in the log.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Fliday (28-02-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK I've set it up as you suggested and I'll post the charts tomorrow. Thank you very much for your help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, Here's the output from RSL but I'm no clearer why I get so many disconnections. I'm still thinking about trying another router as others have said that cleared their problems up

Replacement router recommendation-noisemargin-2014mar01-0057.jpg
      Replacement router recommendation-noisemargin-2014mar01-1420.jpg

Thanks

As I thought you are getting interference from somewhere which is causing your noise margin to drop, thus disconnecting you. The trouble is that it is intermittent and severe which is always the most difficult to diagnose.

I agree you should try your other router to see if that helps. Another thing you could try is changing the ADSL cable from your router to the phone point. A very few number of the cables given out with the Hub have proved to be faulty.

Did you try the link I gave you to connect your router?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello Isitme thanks, Ive tried another ADSL cable and hasn't made any difference.

Yes I tried that link but I simply can't configure the Speedtouch for use with my Sky account. I manually moved over from BE rather than being tranistioned by them. I'm going to borrow a router to see if I can get it working. But i's still like some suggestions from anybody for routers that are known to work with Sky unlimited.

Thanks

I read somewhere that you must reset the Thomson to factory default to allow you to put in the Sky settings. Maybe you should try that. Unless it is really locked down to BE it should be possible to connect it.

As for what router can be used, any ADSL router which is not tied to another ISP can be used to connect to Sky Broadband. There was a problem on some lines which were MER only, but that is unlikely in your case and all lines seem to be returning to PPPoA anyway. Something to do with the Fibre connection I think, which uses a MER type authentication.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Success! Thanks Isitme. I've got the Thomson working and haven't had a drop out in over 36 hours. So it's definitely the 102 hardware or software.

I suddenly remember that BE's Bulgarian support called me up about 6/7 weeks ago and told me I needed to apply a patch. I didn't do this because I planned to switch over manually. So I applied it and after a few attempts with verification it suddenly connected and no problems since.

So as other have found out it's the Sky router that is to blame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast