Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fibre, phone line issues

This is a discussion on Fibre, phone line issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I might not be in quite the correct area here.. however. I'll try to keep it short. I decided to ...

Awest3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01527
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Fibre, phone line issues

I might not be in quite the correct area here.. however. I'll try to keep it short.
      I decided to get Sky fibre and its been a nightmare in the processing...this will be the subject of another post once fibre is installed.
      I had to change my phone rental to Sky from BT to get fibre... don't ask..!!

The line was taken over by Sky (after about a month of issues) on the 23rd according to their records, although I believe it happened on the 21st as we have an outage of about 2 hours, on that day, and once it was back callers got the Sky answer phone message.

The phone was not ringing but callers got the answer phone message. Strange thing was that only some people got the answer phone message. If someone rang from a mobile it worked ok... frantic calls to Sky to try and get it fixed. At this point I get 'not our problem yet BT still have the line.. calls to BT say no problem on line.. lots of pulling out of hair.
      It seems to resolve itself on the 23rd when Sky take responsibility for the line... well almost!

Once Sky took on the line my broadband speed dropped over two days from 4 meg to 200kb.. On calling Sky they tell me that its probably the line test thing they do for 10 days or so... the next day we lost broadband altogether.

Sky seemed not to be able to offer any explanation for this.. So I thought I'd try a different (still sky) router I had Sr101 or some such name... Lo and behold we now have 760kb.. not great but at least I can look at my emails.
      Today its dropped to 510kb... and now to my problem

We have a hi-lo noise on the phone in the background when we get a dialling tone.. I'm assuming this is what's causing the line speed issues as its noise on the line?

So.. does the line change when we get our new fibre service? the reason I ask is should I be getting Sky to fix the issue (that would be fun) now or wait and see what the new fibre service brings?

Things have been going awry with Sky ever since I ordered the fibre line... so I'm getting mite techy about it. Having said that I have had all sorts of things given to me at half price because of the issues.

Be glad to get your observations on this....Thanks for staying with me

Al

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Fibre, phone line issues

The "hi-lo noise" is indicating that you have messages. If you dial 1571 you should be able to retrieve these. If memory serves me correctly you'll get this until all the new messages have been checked. You don't need to delete them.

In September 2011 Sky changed their policy so that all new broadband customers had to have their line rental. Other ISPs had already been doing this.

Hopefully uou have the black SR102 router, not the white SR101. The SR101 requires a BTO Modem to work with a Fibre connection.

Have you connected one of those new microfilters which came with the SR102 to the Master Socket? This is where you should be connecting the SR102. You should not be using the router on an extension or extension lead. Just stick with the grey ADSL/VDSL lead supplied with the router for now. We can make suggestions on improving this later, for now lets get the basic working right.

If you have any extensions in other rooms wired to the back of the master socket, thee too need filtering.

Is am suspecting that there is an issue with your copper connection though and your broadband speed may not improve until your telephone is working 100%. Remember that it is Fibre to the Cabinet. Your copper telephone line comes direct from the exchange and the Fibre connection meets it at your Green Street Cabinet. From that point both the VDSL signal and your voice telephone call share the same line.

If you have an NTE5 Socket, please consider getting a VDSL filtered faceplate.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The "hi-lo noise" is indicating that you have messages. If you dial 1571 you should be able to retrieve these. If memory serves me correctly you'll get this until all the new messages have been checked. You don't need to delete them.

In September 2011 Sky changed their policy so that all new broadband customers had to have their line rental. Other ISPs had already been doing this.

Hopefully uou have the black SR102 router, not the white SR101. The SR101 requires a BTO Modem to work with a Fibre connection.

Have you connected one of those new microfilters which came with the SR102 to the Master Socket? This is where you should be connecting the SR102. You should not be using the router on an extension or extension lead. Just stick with the grey ADSL/VDSL lead supplied with the router for now. We can make suggestions on improving this later, for now lets get the basic working right.

If you have any extensions in other rooms wired to the back of the master socket, thee too need filtering.

Is am suspecting that there is an issue with your copper connection though and your broadband speed may not improve until your telephone is working 100%. Remember that it is Fibre to the Cabinet. Your copper telephone line comes direct from the exchange and the Fibre connection meets it at your Green Street Cabinet. From that point both the VDSL signal and your voice telephone call share the same line.

If you have an NTE5 Socket, please consider getting a VDSL filtered faceplate.
      Hi Scubbie, I've not got the new router yet its in the post so to speak. Did not know about the messages thing I'll check on that. Its the white one I have at the moment. You probably don't remember but I had lots of issues with trying any new Sky supplied router on my line. Any new router cut the line speed from 4meg to 1.5 meg.

I only have one phone line plus the usual connection to my sky box.. I've put in a new micro filter as well as the new router...I've my fingers crossed that the issues will disappear once fibre is installed. I am of course saying this with a grin on my face...

We shall see

Thanks again

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I only have one phone line plus the usual connection to my sky box.
      Is the box connection running through a filter? Many make the mistake of thinking the little box the TV installers supply is a filter, its not, its simply a splitter and needs to be plugged into a filter. This is made worse by the label that is stuck to it saying 'Do not remove', many take this as gospel, to their detriment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Just spoken to the guys at Sky and the line speed had been set down to 512kb.. by whom its not known.
      I then got 1.5meg with the new sr101 router.. I switched back in the old router 934 an behold I'm back up to 4 meg....

I'm mystified....I've been working in Mainframe computers and large networks for 40 years... and I'm still at a loss..!

Ah well I'm happy to be back to where I started..bring on Fibre.. should be about 6 more days..

Thanks for your help
      Al

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It might not be in your case but some have found that the ADSL cable supplied with the Hubs can be faulty. If you are using it, try another cable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

shakey1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: New Brancepeth NENP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

he high low noise usually can happen where there are no messages present i looked this up and came across a thread on bt community forum i just went to live chat here Contact us | Sky.com and them to switch answer machine feature off cant tell you if that made a change tho ad i didint have fibre at the time
      Quote Originally Posted by Awest3 View Post
      I might not be in quite the time sky fitted me a faceplate i was allowed to bypass install charge as i preregisterd my interst
      I might not be in quite the correct area here.. however. I'll try to keep it short.
      I decided to get Sky fibre and its been a nightmare in the processing...this will be the subject of another post once fibre is installed.
      I had to change my phone rental to Sky from BT to get fibre... don't ask..!!

The line was taken over by Sky (after about a month of issues) on the 23rd according to their records, although I believe it happened on the 21st as we have an outage of about 2 hours, on that day, and once it was back callers got the Sky answer phone message.

The phone was not ringing but callers got the answer phone message. Strange thing was that only some people got the answer phone message. If someone rang from a mobile it worked ok... frantic calls to Sky to try and get it fixed. At this point I get 'not our problem yet BT still have the line.. calls to BT say no problem on line.. lots of pulling out of hair.
      It seems to resolve itself on the 23rd when Sky take responsibility for the line... well almost!

Once Sky took on the line my broadband speed dropped over two days from 4 meg to 200kb.. On calling Sky they tell me that its probably the line test thing they do for 10 days or so... the next day we lost broadband altogether.

Sky seemed not to be able to offer any explanation for this.. So I thought I'd try a different (still sky) router I had Sr101 or some such name... Lo and behold we now have 760kb.. not great but at least I can look at my emails.
      Today its dropped to 510kb... and now to my problem

We have a hi-lo noise on the phone in the background when we get a dialling tone.. I'm assuming this is what's causing the line speed issues as its noise on the line?

So.. does the line change when we get our new fibre service? the reason I ask is should I be getting Sky to fix the issue (that would be fun) now or wait and see what the new fibre service brings?

Things have been going awry with Sky ever since I ordered the fibre line... so I'm getting mite techy about it. Having said that I have had all sorts of things given to me at half price because of the issues.

Be glad to get your observations on this....Thanks for staying with me

Al

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Yes it can. The first step should be to check that you actually have messages though.

Failing this, you can call your own number and leave a message. By then accessing this message you can then clear the tone.

Turning off the ansaphone and then turning it back on should be considered the last option.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

new fibre router should be delivered today if a msg from royal mail is correct!

Thanks

Is there anyway I can check where the BT street fibre cabinet is located? I live in Bromsgrove and I know its cabinet 26 at the moment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast