Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DLM Query

This is a discussion on DLM Query within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi - some advice please. My BB unlimited service has consistently delivered downstream speeds of in excess of 7.5 Mbs ...

TerryC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

DLM Query

Hi - some advice please.

My BB unlimited service has consistently delivered downstream speeds of in excess of 7.5 Mbs for over 3 years and since December following another DLM run rose to 9.3 Mbs with an SNR of 6.3dB. Speed nor SNR ever varied. Last week the D/S speed suddenly dropped to 4.1 Mbs yet the SNR remained the same. Sky performed a line test which revealed nothing and on completion it re-synced at 9.3 Mbs again. However after a few minutes it dropped to just over 5 Mbs with a SNR of 17.1 dB. I called them back and after plugging the router into the test socket (I had a filtered faceplate - no extensions, no other boxes connected) with the filter supplied by Sky it connected at 5.6 Mbs after another line test which again revealed no fault. (The line is quiet on a corded phone.) Sky said they would start DLM again which is shown on "My Sky" as starting on the 20th. However, since then I have seen no change in speed but the D/S SNR varies between 6.8 and 15.4 dB - not suddenly but seems to stay in incremental ranges of say 6-8 db 9-11 etc. for a period before going up and then back down. Sky have also said that the speed I am getting is what they would expect on my line (3.5km 48db attenuation) which I'd agree - however having seen consistently higher speeds that would not seem to be the case.

Is this typical of the DLM process i.e change SNR but not speed for a start - I always assumed that it upped the speed incrementally usually around 2 am to see what the optimum error free speed would be. The router is still plugged in the test socket. The upstream speed is .79Mbps which I believe is indicative that DLM is running?

Thanks

Terry

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: DLM Query

If the noise margin is fluctuating that much, it looks like you have some sort of intermittent interference on your line. This makes it very difficult for DLM to set a stable speed. Although it may not be showing up in their tests, it is possible there is a fault on your line. You could do worse than run Routerstats Lite for a while and save the results as a graph. This would give you a record of exactly how your noise margin is behaving.
      Internet Software

If DLM training is running it should resync your router between 2 and 3 am. If its not, then it is possible DLM training is not actually running.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

@ Isitme - Thanks for your reply. I'm running a MAC so the tool is not an option. However, just watching the router stats over time with a polling rate of 3 secs I see the SNR fluctuate between the values I posted earlier but they're not sudden jumps. The speed doesn't change though, and again last night there was no re-sync so I guess DLM probably isn't running as I think this would try and set the SNR at 3, 6, 9 or 12dB. The Sky call back on Friday for an update/progress check never happened so I'll call them again today and try and get to speak to the CST/EST.

Edit: Sky seeing high error rate yet line test ok so Openreach to look at it.

Edit: REIN issue - see my reply to Noisy Phone line (broadband dropping out)
      Last edited by TerryC; 04-03-14 at 11:15 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Turned out to be a REIN issue - see my post in Noisy Phone line (broadband dropping out)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryC For This Useful Post:

Saturday (04-03-14)