Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Internet issues - can someone look at my router stats?

This is a discussion on Internet issues - can someone look at my router stats? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi i would be grateful if you can have a look at this and maybe help figure out what is ...

chezybezy is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Internet issues - can someone look at my router stats?

hi i would be grateful if you can have a look at this and maybe help figure out what is wrong please? moved to sky about a year ago and before that was with BT where i never noticed any problems (had a lot heavier usage back then too) and general speeds (and stability) were better.

Currently we are experiencing internet issues, slow loading the odd disconnection etc. this happens if we are just browsing the internet or something more demanding, but other times it can be fine - i can not put my finger on why - we do have a family member staying with us but another user shouldn't change things?

Sky router statistics (tried a manual reboot a few hours ago):

System Up Time:
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 90516 103716 0 2929 12984 1:48:23
      LAN Up 4088 4169 0 88 249 1:49:55
      WLAN Up 118324 101672 0 14221 3429 1:49:34
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 19471 kbps 1125 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.0 dB 14.5 dB
      Noise Margin 6.1 dB 8.5 dB
      Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)

Do these stats look ok? Anything look odd?

At this moment i have one laptop looking at property / google maps / ebay, another posting this and an apple tablet doing some other browsing - and a few mins ago i heard someone complain that its taking a while to load!

Last night the ipad apparently had problems with catch up tv yet other nights it was fine. Downloading with sky demand (tv progs not paid for films) took a lot longer than it used to these last few days too. Gaming via the xboxand pc seems ok although matchmaking in halo 3 seems to take a long while.

For a general idea my network set up is as follows:
      phone input> to filter>sky router> ethernet cable to a old router that acts as a switch to allow the single cable run to my tv, skybox, and bluray (has always worked fine - so single cable>switch>3 cables to devices). The rest connect via wifi.

I dont think it is due to the number of connected devices?

One final niggle: I believe the router checks for updates nightly and this results in a disconnection and a reboot, down time at that time is highly disruptive can i stop this and check manually or at least change it to a different time?
      Last edited by chezybezy; 16-02-14 at 04:31 AM. Reason: addition of final question / tidy up

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Internet issues - can someone look at my router stats?

Sorry for the delay in replying. The connection stats look fine as they are.

It looks like your rebooted the router about 1 hour and 50 minutes before you took the stats though.

Could you take the stats again and also run a speed test ( by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test ). If possible could you use either Structured Communications or Namesco in London as these tend to give more consistent results. Personally I tend to use a variety of different servers and check each at least twice to get a pattern.

The issue of your router 'rebooting' at night could be an issue. DLM may want to retrain the connection speed between 1am and 6am, but the router should not be completely switched off. If the DLM is resetting the line then there could be a line issue. One way to trigger this would be for you to switch off the router frequently during the day.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Internet issues - can someone look at my router stats?

The router only checks for updates and will only reboot if an update is received. This will only happen at very infrequent intervals. If it is DLM training at work it will onlly reset the WAN uptime, usually between 2 and 3 am. You may be on yet another of those exchanges which need updating. Have you checked your exchanges service status?

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.