Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Should I sign up

This is a discussion on Should I sign up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure if this is the correct place but here goes. I am currently on BT broadband and use the ...

smith9891 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161626
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Should I sign up

Not sure if this is the correct place but here goes. I am currently on BT broadband and use the internet for workign from home, general downloading gaming etc. Have read some horror stories about Sky but then the same for most other ISPs. Is it that hard migrating from your current ISP to SKY? Is there some balance out there for the horror stories.
      Also, I am currently happy with my wireless router.
      Do I HAVE to use the SKY one, is it any good?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      If you rely on your internet connection, don't switch. I'm sure it's fine if all goes well but my fault number in in the 128k range so there must be a hell of a lot of problems.

The T&Cs say you have to use their router, it's not good from what I've read - never been able to use mine yet. There are ways to use your own but you need to look in the techies forum for that. Not sure what sky would do if they found out about it either.

kkhalil76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Don't switch, I've been waiting 7 weeks (offline all the time) to switch to Sky. Had to cancel my old provider, wait for the line to clear, and then Sky was supposed to be activated. But it's been one excuse after another, they never give you feedback or do any kind of follow-up (although this was promised by no less then 6 tier 1 support supervisors). So finally got sick of waiting, cancelled, and now have to wait another 2-3 weeks for line to clear before I can sign up with someone else. If your broadband is working well, don't switch!

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Just wait for a while, See if anyone else in your area/road goes with Sky and then you can ask them of their experience? As all exchnages will be different, Different Speeds etc etc?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think Sky is like Talk Talk. My parents are still waiting since June to be connected despite promises promises but my Uncle who lives 1/4 mile away was connected straight away and thinks its the bees knees.
      The problem with all of these companies is that thye have lots of nice people who know ****** all except how to fob you off and not enough geeks who can actually understand and fix the problems.

I think I will wait and see how it goes!

pejay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedford
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thumbs up

Well looks like i am the only one to disagree with the above answers, I would say a BIG YES but thats because i too was in your position and with BT for 3 years, This switch to sky is the best thing i did NO REGRETS and very happy with everything Its great value for money, I would say that NO isp is going to be without their problems, You will never find the perfect trouble free service but the way i look at it is if i where to have any problems im not paying as much for them as i could be.

I personally had a smooth switchover to sky and everything went according to plan since then a couple of months now my service has proved to be far better in that short time than it was ever with BT.

Your decision just my opinion, Whatever you decide good luck.
      hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, I still have splinters from sitting on the fence. Whats the 'usual' downtime when switching from 1 ISP to another BT in my case. I don't mean the horror stories but the usual.

Cheers