Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Sky Netgear Router - No internet light issue

This is a discussion on Sky Netgear Router - No internet light issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, There was a service outage in my area 4 days ago. Once it was resolved (and from the ...

Arc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Washington Tyne and Wear
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Sky Netgear Router - No internet light issue

Hi all,

There was a service outage in my area 4 days ago. Once it was resolved (and from the moment the outage started) my router now has no internet light (its not green, red, orange or flashing) it's just not coming on.

I have been onto sky and jumped through all the hoops (plugging into test socket/switching filters/reseting router etc.) and still nothing.

I also have an older netgear router which I think is from when I was on SKY connect some years ago. I have tried this and the same thing happens. All lights up power and wireless but the internet light stays dark.

I have also had a BT engineer out via Sky, I left someone in to let him in, however he left saying "its the router thats broken", even though I had left both routers next to the master socket.

I am now not only without broadband but possibly faceing paying for the call out (if it is the router).

Seems one hell of a coincidence that my router breaks the same moment as the service outage!

Can anyone shed light on this, or indeed tell me that if the second netgear router was not from sky (no idea how I came by it if thats the case) although I know it would not work properly if its non sky.....would the internet light come on but be red or orange? Or would it not light up?

I hope that all makes sense, thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Sky Netgear Router - No internet light issue

Depending on the nature of the fault it could well be that the router is now not working.

Did you swap the PSUs over when you tried the older Netgear router? Whilst I believe the specs are the same, I would definitely try changing the PSUs as well in case this is the issue.

Annoyingly Sky were pushing their WiFi Booster last month. For those who do not have a Sky WiFi n router they were offering a Sky Hub first. I would be inclined to call Sky and see what they can do in respect of offering a free replacement router.

I would also consider asking a friend or relative who may have Sky broadband if you can borrow their router briefly. If they have ADSL you could also try plugging your router in their connection.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Sky Netgear Router - No internet light issue

This is a very common issue with Sky's netgear routers so although it seems unlikely, I wouldn't rule out both routers being faulty.
      If a working non-Sky router was connected, the line would still sync and you'd get an amber DSL light. The Openreach engineer would have checked for sync with his tester. Don't worry about charges, Sky never charge customers for SFI engineers.