Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Internet drops out every 5 minutes...

This is a discussion on Internet drops out every 5 minutes... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For some reason, our broadband here keeps just dropping out randomly. It happens every 5, 10, 15 minutes usually. It's ...

Fatalysm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01566
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Internet drops out every 5 minutes...

For some reason, our broadband here keeps just dropping out randomly. It happens every 5, 10, 15 minutes usually. It's a little frustrating to say the least. I've tried getting onto the live chat on Sky but the agents are always "busy".

It may or may not be important information to know, but although the speeds here say over 2000kbps per second, i've never seen more than about 200kbps and over the last couple years probably more like 5kbps.

My parents claim this to be a problem with the exchange and our house being on the end of the line but I'm not entirely convinced. I think Sky could provide more bandwith to us, they've done it whilst testing the lines beforehand.

Apparently you're supposed to post specs .

System Up Time:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 7756 6237 0 37 84 00:07:05
      LAN Up 2401 2640 0 47144 5917 00:07:56
      WLAN Up 0 0 0 0 0 00:07:30
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2272 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.5 dB 15.0 dB
      Noise Margin 15.4 dB 24.24 dB

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Internet drops out every 5 minutes...

First things first. Can you check what package you are on. From your figures it looks like you are on Connect, which is bad news. That aside you should have a much better sync speed, the maximum available in fact(8128kbps) This suggests there is something wrong with your setup. Can you check that everything plugged into your phone circuit is running through a filter. The filter must be plugged in first then any splitters or devices plugged into that. A common mistake is thinking the splitter supplied by some Sky TV installers is a filter. It is not and should itself be plugged into a filter. Another common mistake is running the router through a trailing telephone extension. This should never be done, the router should be plugged directly into the filter using the ADSL cable supplied. If this is not possible longer ADSL cables are available.

The BT system work s differently from Sky and if any faults in the setup are corrected the speed should automatically increase within 3 days. If you check everything and it is OK call Sky and ask them to get on to BT to have your connection reset.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.