Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Disable WPS on Sky Broadband Booster

This is a discussion on Disable WPS on Sky Broadband Booster within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Does anyone know how to disable the WPS button on the sky broadband booster. My son is banned from the ...

pjn1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clerkenwell (London)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Disable WPS on Sky Broadband Booster

Does anyone know how to disable the WPS button on the sky broadband booster.
      My son is banned from the internet but is managing to connect using the WPS button on the Booster the crafty sod

any help much appreciated

the booster is an AirTies SB601

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Disable WPS on Sky Broadband Booster

Short of locking your router or SB601 in a cupboard so he doesn't have access to one of the WPS buttons and protecting the web interface with a secret password there is very little you can do.
      Any changes to the configuration could be overcome using a bent paperclip and a factory reset.
      You could always butcher the box so that the wps button is physically disconnected from the circuit board but I wouldn't recommend it.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Router: pfSense 2.3.4(i386)
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Personally I'd just confiscate his phone/PC/Tablet etc.. or use a third party router with custom firmware that allows you disable reset button and wps button.

pjn1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clerkenwell (London)
      Thanks

Oh well i will Just lock the booster away when i go out then he still needs his laptop to do his coursework on word etc so cant confiscate it
      i assumed that because wps was disabled on the router it would be disabled on the booster too

Thanks for your replies

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Router: pfSense 2.3.4(i386)
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Well TP-Link cable routers start at 29.99 (for one thats about same level as sky router) at Argos so thats not particularly expensive, if you really want to lock down your wireless with DD-WRT. There is also the hidden parental control software route for his laptop (some of which you can monitor/control in realtime) but these are quite expensive for the decent rootkit hidden ones. Low tech close monitoring is the easiest way I guess, good luck. I was sure the Sky router had a disable wps option in the web interface, but as I don't have a sky router anymore I can't check for you. Somebody clever will be along shortly I'm sure.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am not sure how he is connecting using the WPS button, once the booster is connected it will continue to connect until it is reset. It does not need the WPS button to be pressed. If you want to prevent him connecting you could try using the Firewall rules, with or without a schedule.

If the WPS is disabled in the router and the booster reset, it will not connect. You may have to reboot the router to get the setting to 'take'. Simplest way, if he is the only one using the booster is to unplug it and lock it away.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If the WPS is disabled in the router and the booster reset, it will not connect. You may have to reboot the router to get the setting to 'take'. Simplest way, if he is the only one using the booster is to unplug it and lock it away.
      I think I am beginning to understand the OP's problem. If his son's laptop has a WPS button then even if the WPS function on the router has been deactivated providing the Sky Wireless Booster (SWB) retains the router's wifi password (which it will unless reset) then pressing the WPS buttons on the SWB and the laptop will allow the laptop to connect to the internet.

Does the SR101 have MAC filtering so that the laptop's MAC can be blocked?

Thanks

Ok! I've been having a play and if the OP's problem was that outlined in my last post then I think disabling the WPS button is possible and to make things even worse it will still cause the wireless light to flash amber giving the impression that it is working.

You will need to use Firefox and to install the poster add-on available from:
      poster-extension - Poster Firefox Extension - Google Project Hosting

Then log into http://skywirelessbooster.local as normal.
      Select "Poster" from the drop down in Firefox's Tools menu.

Copy & paste the following as the request URL:

http://skywirelessbooster.local/cgi-bin/webapp

and the following xml code into the content to send field:
      Code:
      <xmlrequest version="1.0.1">
      <command inst="cfgmgr-0"><key>begin_transaction</key><value>wireless_core-0</value></command>
      <set inst="wireless_core-0"><key>wps_enabled</key><value>0</value></set>
      <command inst="cfgmgr-0"><key>commit</key><value>wireless_core-0</value></command>
      <command inst="cfgmgr-0"><key>end_transaction</key><value>wireless_core-0</value></command>
      <command inst="cfgmgr-0"><key>save</key><value/></command>
      <command inst="wireless_core-0"><key>apply</key><value/></command>
      </xmlrequest>
      Click on the "POST" actions button and a response window should open with the following reply:
      Code:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <response version="1.0.1">
      </response>
      It shouldn't be possible to connect the laptop to the wireless booster any longer using the WPS buttons on each.

Provided the WPS button on the router is disabled and the wifi password is not known to the perpetrator performing a factory reset on the booster will be of no help as this will now be unable to connect to the router.
      Last edited by seawright; 01-02-14 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Corrected an error in the xml code

10. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Isitme (01-02-14)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Good solution Seawright. I must admit I was not seeing how using the WPS button would help, but now you have made it clear.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.