Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dipping speeds in the Evenings

This is a discussion on Dipping speeds in the Evenings within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hiya everyone, I've had a particularly stressful week but I'm not sure how truly independent this forum is of sky ...

Liamski is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNHAT Harlescott
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Dipping speeds in the Evenings

Hiya everyone,

I've had a particularly stressful week but I'm not sure how truly independent this forum is of sky so I will take it easy.

Problem is, that for a few weeks, at almost exactly 7pm, my connection starts to drop from around 15meg to around 3-4meg until about 10.30 when it picks back up again.

I'm on an unlimited account. My exchange is LLU equipped and it is due to have fibre optic activated in a couple of months.

My router syncs at 18meg and as said, I normally get throughput of around 15meg, which is fine.

Now I'm frustrated, first of all, because when me and the missus have tried to settle down and watch a film of an evening in the last week, once the kids have gone to bed, using on demand, we have not been able to because of constant buffering which in all the years we have used on demand I've never had an issue with. Never.

Secondly, and this is where I will be careful what I say, I'm struggling with Sky's help.

I've spoken to people on twitter this week and tonight on the phone and their attitude is poor.

I'm being told that the speed tests I'm using are pointless, even when using an ethernet cable because their system tells them I am getting 18meg, and that is an end to it. I'm suggesting that, indeed, according to the stats on my router page(posted below btw), my router is syncing at 18meg, but surely they understand that, thats not necessarily what I'm getting the other side of the router, or even going into the router at the master socket? Because they are insistent, that is the case.

*Deep Breaths!*

I mentioned that I had been speaking to someone on twitter. I had an online conversation with someone named Trish on Wednesday night, after a couple of days of swapping general tweets. She pretty much said the same thing. I told her that I was running speed tests with a wired connection to the router with 2 different laptops and was getting around 3-4meg on both. I then mentioned that the sky on demand was continually buffering and that it was connected wirelessly to the router and she jumped straight on that. Oh it must be a wifi issue! Conveniently forgetting the info I'd passed on about wired speed tests every night for about the last 2 weeks. She also said that my router stats page said I was connecting at 18meg and all was well in the world. By this time it was around 11pm and the connection was back up to around 12 meg so she suggested that at the time the issues started, the next day, I should tweet her screenshots of the router stats page, so she could study them, which I did. But I've not heard anything back since. I messaged and tweeted on friday and saturday with no reply. So tonight I called sky.

Apart from what I mentioned above, I agreed to try all wireless channels and they will send me a new router to try if there was no improvement. Now, I really appreciate this but I can't see how the current router is at fault. The error occurs every night at the same time. Thats not going to happen if the router is faulty is it? Its to consistent.

I'm positive that it is some form of traffic shaping. Can someone confirm that Sky control their own traffic in a LLU equipped exchange? and is there anyway I can find out? The people I've spoken to are fairly adamant that there is not exchange issues, although I have stopped short of accusing them of messing with my connection! We are fairly heavy users I'd guess. Always watching films online and making full use of Sky Go on other devices. I'm a gamer and we have 3 kids who all access the net, but then thats why we subscribe to a full unlimited service, surely? ril

I'd really appreciate anyone that can give me some objective views on the above because my patience is being tested. We pay 90 quid a month for the whole lot from sky and I've currently got a very nasty taste in my mouth. You could say, wait to april when my exchange goes fttc live and then subscribe to fibre from sky, but right now, I'd suffer it until september and then get rid of sky talk/broadband. The skeptic in me says, they are making my connection poor now so that me and many others are just gagging to get onto fibre when it arrives but I probably shouldn't say things like that on a public forum..

Last of all, bit of info and the stats.

I've been with sky talk since last September. Before that I was with talktalk for 10 years without issue.
      I live 400 yards from the exchange.
      I've followed all of Skys self help stuff. I'm always plugged into the master socket. I don't use an extension and the router is well clear of any interfering electrical appliances.
      I've tried all 13 wiFi channels and speedtests are done using an ethernet cable.
      There is adequate bandwidth to run all the devices we have when the connection is working properly, but obviously, we are limiting use when the connection slows down.

Just to be clear, I'd love to be told that I'm wrong and that its all perfectly normal, and that perhaps a new router will cure everything. If thats the case, I'd happily apologize for any unwarranted accusations.

Hope thats all ok.

Help please!

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 14926 17109 0 0 0 00:33:05
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      WLAN Up 281514 216305 0 1 0 02:06:33
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18012 kbps 1212 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 dB 13.9 dB
      Noise Margin 3.9 dB 3.3 dB

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Dipping speeds in the Evenings

Sky don't use any sort of traffic management or limiting at all and never have on there LLU connections. If you are sure your line and wiring are ok, the only other thing I have heard about on occasions is referred to as 'back haul congestion' which is basically the connection between the Sky kit in the exchange and the outside world is overloaded/congested but how you could confirm this I don't know, it is only resolved when that connection is upgraded, it would tie in with the time of day issue. You could perhaps check with anyone you know who has sky ADSL on the same exchange to see if they have the same problem.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I'd be happy, obviously to pin point the fault to some kind of wiring issue. Not sure how a fault so consistent could be caused by that though. Its why I think the change of router might be a waste of time. Suppose, thinking about it, it is probably a consequence of actually having no limitation or traffic management at all?

Willing to try anything though. Will ask around though.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just as an afterthought, if congestion is the issue then I suspect the back haul will be upgraded anyway to cope with the new fibre connections. The Samknowns website says your exchange is being fibre to the cabinet enabled at the end of March that will be BT, Sky normally start offering the service a few months later, in which case there network will need to handle it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Koala5 For This Useful Post:

Liamski (27-01-14)

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

One way of helping to identify congestion is to set up a monitor:
      thinkbroadband :: Broadband Quality Monitor

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Liamski (27-01-14)

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

You can also try popping your details in to skys exchange checker here:
      Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

It's not always up to date though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Liamski (27-01-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      You can also try popping your details in to skys exchange checker here:
      Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

It's not always up to date though.

Ahh, now that's interesting!!

Results for Sy1 ***
      Exchange name Status Resolution date
      Harlescott Exchange affected Mid February
      Your local exchange is currently affected by this issue. We’re working on fixing this for you as soon as possible.

So is that just some kind of update/upgrade checker? And why could the customer service staff not mention that?

cheers for the advice chaps. Enormously helpful!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

It would be nice if it said what the issue was! But hey ho it's a start!
      My guess is its a congestion issue :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Koala5 For This Useful Post:

Liamski (27-01-14)

Thanks

It would but it's good news as they are clearly addressing something and I get a brand new router!

fingers crossed!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Liamski
      So is that just some kind of update/upgrade checker?
      Yes.
      Everything you've posted is in line with a congestion problem & that result pretty much confirms it.
      I guess the good news is that sky are aware & already working on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast