Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cannot renew IP address from static back to dynamic!

This is a discussion on Cannot renew IP address from static back to dynamic! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am having trouble renewing an IP on our network. I have removed the IPV4 configuration in the adapter settings, ...

Saraya is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cannot renew IP address - no lease options with Sagem 2504

I am having trouble renewing an IP on our network.
      I have removed the IPV4 configuration in the adapter settings, removed the address /mac reservation on the router page and I've rebooted the router.
      When I goto do a ipconfig/release .. /renew it comes back with the same static IP address.

I cannot find anywhere in these Sagem routers to force the IP lease to end prematurely.
      Last edited by Saraya; 29-12-13 at 01:03 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Cannot renew IP address - no lease options with Sagem 2504

How are you connecting your device to the router (i.e. WiFi, Ethernet, HomePlugs)?

What is the for three parts of the IP Address you are getting with IPCONFIG?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Cannot renew IP address from static back to dynamic!

This device is ethernet.

Thanks

Ok, so your computer is getting an assigned IP Address from the router.

For a moment I was afraid that you were getting one starting with 169 which would have indicated that the router wasn't assigning one at all.

The assigned IP Address will only clear when you switch of both the computer and router. If you were to leave the computer off for a period of time the router may assign it a new IP Address.

In practise the actual local IP Address isn't really an issue, unless you want to assign that address to something else. Any attempts at hacking from outside will normally use a port number. With this in mind it is the port forwarding which you need to address or change your external IP Address.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I see.

Currently the static issue is down to a local network problem; it's causing hiccups with network shares.

In terms of cycling the router - most often I do it via the diagnostics page. Should I do that from another computer on the network while this one is off, or should I do it the old way and unplug the router?

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

One of the ways you will get IP conflicts is by assigning a fixed IP address to a device without reserving the same address in the router's reservation list. Make sure all the devices you have given fixed addresses to are also included in the router's Address Reservation list.

It does not matter much how you reset the router, I prefer switching the power off for a minute then back on again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello, yes it had a reservation - which I mentioned that I cleared, so that's definitely done.

My question about cycling was more to the point of whether a GUI reboot will have the same effectiveness as physically powering it off and on.

Thanks

Whilst it should not matter as both will reset the router, personally I prefer to power the router off temporarily. A minute is a little long IMHO, but then 1 second is too short.

Basically long enough for the router to loose the connection and any LEDs to go out, breath (you, not the router), then power it on again should be enough in most cases.

As for the issues with the shares, how did you come by the advice to change your IP Address?

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am still not sure what you want to do. If you are finding that the local IP address wont renew when you use the renew command, try executing this command ipconfig /renew "Local Area Connection"

If that does not work, switch off the PC, then reset the router by holding in the reset button on the rear for about 10 secs. When the router has reset, switch on the PC and it will get the first available address. If you are working with some of your devices with a fixed address(PCs and Consoles) and others(Laptops phones etc) obtaining from DHCP it is better to reserve all the addresses in the router's reservation list. This avoids conflicts.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Whilst it should not matter as both will reset the router, personally I prefer to power the router off temporarily. A minute is a little long IMHO, but then 1 second is too short.

Basically long enough for the router to loose the connection and any LEDs to go out, breath (you, not the router), then power it on again should be enough in most cases.

As for the issues with the shares, how did you come by the advice to change your IP Address?
      You are referring to the advice to return to dynamic instead of static? I do not remember where now. I started down the path of researching it as I have had intermittent network issues since using static routes. In some scenarios I can connect to SMB shares but in others it's slow or cannot find a connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am still not sure what you want to do. If you are finding that the local IP address wont renew when you use the renew command, try executing this command ipconfig /renew "Local Area Connection"

If that does not work, switch off the PC, then reset the router by holding in the reset button on the rear for about 10 secs. When the router has reset, switch on the PC and it will get the first available address. If you are working with some of your devices with a fixed address(PCs and Consoles) and others(Laptops phones etc) obtaining from DHCP it is better to reserve all the addresses in the router's reservation list. This avoids conflicts.
      All the other devices have reset and are being given dynamic internals as they should be. What I want is for this computer to do the same; currently it is obtaining the same IP address that it had when it was static.
      Release and renew has been ineffective and only serves to extend the time on the IP lease. I have tried it with 'local area connection' specifically and it makes no difference.

I will try turn off this computer, unplug it's ethernet, power down the router and see what happens.
      Last edited by Saraya; 29-12-13 at 10:48 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast