Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cannot renew IP address from static back to dynamic!

This is a discussion on Cannot renew IP address from static back to dynamic! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Rebooting/powering down while computer was unplugged from modem solved it. Thank you both; now to figure out why network transfer ...

Saraya is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Cannot renew IP address from static back to dynamic!

Rebooting/powering down while computer was unplugged from modem solved it.

Thank you both; now to figure out why network transfer speeds are so bad on this router. I have read around that the 2504 can perform very poorly over LAN. E.G. Slow LAN speed with Sky supplied SAGEM F@ST 2504 Router
      Was there a solution to this?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Was there a solution to this?
      No, unfortunately, given today's standards all the Sky routers perform badly over LAN as they only perform at a maximum of 100mbps. If you want or need higher LAN speeds your only option is to buy a router capable of Gigabit speeds.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

As Tom say, the router you have is limited to a 100mb LAN.

If LAN (Ethernet) speed is important to you, consider the purchase of a 1Gbit Switch. I did this some time before getting a 1Gbit router and have no regrets with a mixture of 100mb and 1Gbit devices connected to three of them.

Yes a router which supports 1Gbit would be a whole lot better, but connecting via a 1Gbit switch would allow you to transfer between devices on the LAN a lot more quickly.

Of course any WiFi connections going through the router would still be limited to the WiFi 54g specs. You may be interested in upgrading your router for FREE at the moment too. The Sky Hub SR101 could be yours and it supports WiFi n (up to 144mbps on a single channel), but still a 100mb LAN.

Sky Wireless Booster - Helps extend your Wi-Fi signal even further

You have until late next month or February to redeem this offer. This is being discussed quite a bit already on this forum.

The other option would be to purchase your own non-Sky router or WiFi Extender and use that.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No, unfortunately, given today's standards all the Sky routers perform badly over LAN as they only perform at a maximum of 100mbps. If you want or need higher LAN speeds your only option is to buy a router capable of Gigabit speeds.
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As Tom say, the router you have is limited to a 100mb LAN.

If LAN (Ethernet) speed is important to you, consider the purchase of a 1Gbit Switch. I did this some time before getting a 1Gbit router and have no regrets with a mixture of 100mb and 1Gbit devices connected to three of them.

Yes a router which supports 1Gbit would be a whole lot better, but connecting via a 1Gbit switch would allow you to transfer between devices on the LAN a lot more quickly.

Of course any WiFi connections going through the router would still be limited to the WiFi 54g specs. You may be interested in upgrading your router for FREE at the moment too. The Sky Hub SR101 could be yours and it supports WiFi n (up to 144mbps on a single channel), but still a 100mb LAN.

Sky Wireless Booster - Helps extend your Wi-Fi signal even further

You have until late next month or February to redeem this offer. This is being discussed quite a bit already on this forum.

The other option would be to purchase your own non-Sky router or WiFi Extender and use that.

Hi both,

To clarify, my network browser (I haven't had any luck testing FTP) transfer is roughly 1-2mb/s going either direction. This happens with both the Sagem 2504 and a Netgear DG834Gv4.
      I will try a gigabit switch here in the near future, however what concerns me is that a 100mbps network cannot manage more than 1-2mb/s when the theoretical max is about 12mb/s.

Thanks for the link !

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The improved WiFi and the Gbit switch will only improve any internal file transfers. Anything external will still be limited to your Internet connection speed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

To clarify, my network browser transfer is roughly 1-2mb/s going either direction.
      That is about what you would expect from a 10base-T connection. Are you sure your adapters are connecting at 100mbps and not 10mbps. What colour are the port lights on your router?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The improved WiFi and the Gbit switch will only improve any internal file transfers. Anything external will still be limited to your Internet connection speed.
      Yes of course, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is about what you would expect from a 10base-T connection. Are you sure your adapters are connecting at 100mbps and not 10mbps. What colour are the port lights on your router?
      Both adapters say connected at 100mbps full duplex.
      Computer 1 - The left is a solid blinking yellow/orange, I take it that is activity. And the right side is solid orange - connection/power?
      Computer 2 - The left is a blinking orange, and the right is green.
      Historically I only tended to get worried about the colours if one of them is red.
      Last edited by Saraya; 31-12-13 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks

It is a long time since I used that router but I am fairly sure the yellow/orange light means it is connecting at 10 Mbps. The lights should all be green for a 100mbps connection. Maybe someone else will confirm or deny this?

Have you checked with the adapters manufacturer that the drivers are fully up to date? Ignore what Windows tells you, go to the horse's mouth.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes drivers recent as of November I believe and this was from Intel as they seem to be on top of their LAN drivers than Asus.
      I am waiting to hear back from Asus about the lights on the board - if anyone else with this model has noticed their light sequence.

Thanks

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Your Profile says you have a Dlink router, you mention Sagem in your first post, then you say Asus, do you mean your PC/Laptop? If so I was referring to the lights on the router. These should always be green on either the Sagem or the Dlink. If you actually have an Asus router, I don't know about that model.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast