Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What router advice please

This is a discussion on What router advice please within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, we are having serious wi fi problems with our SR101 Sky router. Wired connections ( Our desktop pc ...

iang27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What router advice please

Hi all, we are having serious wi fi problems with our SR101 Sky router.

Wired connections ( Our desktop pc and two multiroom boxes) are fine, albeit 5500 kbps max ( Sky say this is my lines max )

It is our wi fi that is virtually non existent on all of our devices. It sometimes connects for seconds then other times for a couple of hours. This is eating up all of our 3G and causing upset because no one can use anything.

My wife and kids want to change providers.

We had problems with our old sky router but they would not give us the new SR101 so I bought one myself and it worked for a couple of weeks then started the same wi fi no signal problem. Sky would not send us a new one unless we paid !

I was going to buy a decent router/modem myself and it appears that the Asus dsl N55U will fit the bill.

Is this the best router to fully replace the SR101 ( Sky Broadband Unlimited ) NOT fibre

Do I just need to obtain my username and password from the SR101 then will the new router set itself up or is there other changes that need to be made.

I looked at the Asus Rtn66u but that seems to be for fibre as it has no dsl line, is that correct ?

Is there one of those password generators for the SR101 or do you have to do it manually, if so which method is the easiest for someone not fully clued up ( But not stupid )

Thanks for any advice.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: What router advice please

There are a variety of options open to you.

One idea might be to get a cable router and to connect it up in the manner described in this thread: Using the DLink DIR613.

There are a variety of routers which will connect to Sky's ADSL connections. The Asus RT-N66U is not such a router, so you would have to use the guide above anyway.

Networking - RT-N66U

If you were to use an ADSL router then you would need to extract the log in details from your existing router. Before ordering such a router though you should confirm that your connection is either PPPoA or MER. If it is MER then you only have a few routers to choose from (we can help here). If it is PPPoA then most ADSL2+ routers will be fine.

Personally I would consider a suitable cable router if you intend to upgrade to Fibre at a later date anyway.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.

It is PPPoA on my settings page. Can Sky change this to MER or will it stay PPPoA.

If it stays PPPoA then at the minute the dsl Asus may be best as long as I can get it to work.

Bit loathe to pay Sky any more for Broadband to be honest but the amount of devices in the house it may be better.

The SR101 is upstairs using an extension socket, if changing to fibre can I still use this socket or does it HAVE to go in the master socket

Thanks

In the past connections have switched between MER and PPPoA and back. With the recent change brought in due to the purchase of O2 and Be customers, I suspect that MER will be confined to the history books for Sky's ADSL connections, but I do not know for sure.

That Asus router you mentioned in your first post does not have a built-in Modem, so you would need a different router if you intend to remove the Sky router.

The Billion 7800N is one of a couple that can cope with both PPPoA and MER. You may wish to purchase this router. You would need to visit the Billion site to get the correct firmware though.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sky are offering free wireless boosters from 27th for existing customers. Might be worth considering this before you do anything else.
      Sky offers a free wireless booster as well as half price broadband

If you have a PPPoA connection Sky are very unlikely to change this back to MER. They appear to be moving all the lines they have on MER back to PPPoA.

You can use an extension socket for fibre but it is not recommended. You would be far better using the master socket with a filter plate and an ethernet cable running from the modem to your preferred position. Another router or switch can be used at the end of the cable to increase the available connections.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Sky
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sky are offering free wireless boosters from 27th for existing customers. Might be worth considering this before you do anything else.
      Sky offers a free wireless booster as well as half price broadband

If you have a PPPoA connection Sky are very unlikely to change this back to MER. They appear to be moving all the lines they have on MER back to PPPoA.

You can use an extension socket for fibre but it is not recommended. You would be far better using the master socket with a filter plate and an ethernet cable running from the modem to your preferred position. Another router or switch can be used at the end of the cable to increase the available connections.
      As long as sky systems have you as having an older router you can get a new SR101 in case it's faulty, for free from 27th December.
      Wifi issues like connection dropping are usually caused by nearby routers on the same channel, in the first instance, aren't they?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Would the Asus dsl N55 not be able to completely replace the SR101, it appears to have the same sockets, adsl in from the wallplate and 4 Ethernet out + wi fi.

If I decided to take out the Sky fibre offer (6 months half price, 110 cashback ) on Quidco I presume they will send the SR102, does this just plug in from the wallplate the same and will offer the same wi fi and 4 Ethernet ports.

If the SR102 worked ok all well and good but if the wi fi was rubbish is there a one box replacement router/modem that could fully replace it without having two boxes linked up.

New to all this so not sure what is needed.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think Scubbie got mixed up with the cable version, the one you linked is a DSL router and would make a good replacement. I am not sure if it would be OK for a fibre service, for that you would need something like the RT-AC66U, which is not suitable for ADSL.

There is not much difference between the SR102 and the SR101, the wireless is much the same. I don't think anyone has found a one box solution which will work with Sky, apart from their own router. If you wanted to use your own router with fibre, the only way at the moment is to buy a BTO modem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think Scubbie got mixed up with the cable version, the one you linked is a DSL router and would make a good replacement. I am not sure if it would be OK for a fibre service, for that you would need something like the RT-AC66U, which is not suitable for ADSL.

There is not much difference between the SR102 and the SR101, the wireless is much the same. I don't think anyone has found a one box solution which will work with Sky, apart from their own router. If you wanted to use your own router with fibre, the only way at the moment is to buy a BTO modem.
      Thanks for the info, My wife is a bit loathe to pay Sky any more so I may go down the new modem/router path.

If I stay on broadband unlimited will the above mentioned Asus dsl 55 work as a one box replacement for the SR101 by just finding my username and password.

On the Sky fibre offer, is there still a 50 install charge even though it states self install.

Thanks

Sadly the 50 Installation fee is a standard part of the package, but some have been able to negotiate this.

A BTO Engineer still needs to be paid to connect up the Fibre connections at the cabinets and also change your connections in the exchange if required.

You can pay an additional 30 and the BTO Engineer will visit your home to fit a VDSL faceplate and any other wiring changes, if required. The engineer won't connect your router though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast