Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lost Internet Connection

This is a discussion on Lost Internet Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Long time since I have had to visit here!! I had an external telephone line fault develop, slowly over a ...

bravedan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton (SDLTTLH)
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lost Internet Connection

Long time since I have had to visit here!!

I had an external telephone line fault develop, slowly over a long time more and more noise, audible on the phones. This eventually got so bad that I was about to do something about it when by coinicidence or not I lost Internet, no Internet light, so after the usual checks and resets did nothing, something had to be done.

After spending (wasting) considerable time convincing BT that it wasn't MY equipment producing the line noise, a BT engineer was booked and lo and behold (great shock!) found an external wiring joint fault which he fixed. I now have an audibly perfectly clear line again.

However, I could not get the Internet back up again. He checked the signal actually at the incoming to router plug (so all the way through my system to the last possible point before the router) and showed me a completely normal broadband signal existed at the rates I was used to, so, NOT anything to do with connections/leads/sockets.

PC accesses Routerlogin normally, but Connection Tests and Sky Tests states no DSL, no signal present.

SO, I have a perfect signal at the plug, but nothing on the router, internal network connections work. Router is the old original Netgear from BT Connect days before Sky went LLU. I was getting 5.1Mb before this fault developed as not too far from exchange.

Sky support are in a loop where the only thing they are offering is that I should check the connections and that their tests show the fault is in my wiring. They have even stated that "as your phone line is not working the fault is with that".........ignoring completely that the phone line is working perfectly and I have seen on a test meter that there is a valid good quality Broadband signal at the router connection plug.

They have promised a booked ringback, they didn't. Their system creates long expensive waits to get told rubbish or be forced to give up due wait times.

Their "Live Chat" produced a text conversation which I have recorded for posterity it was so laughably pathetically poor!

Any Ideas on how can I resolve this please??
      My Bus speed is 26 mph, what's yours??

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Lost Internet Connection

My money would be on the router given it's from 06/07.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I agree, the DG834GTs are coming to the end of their useful life. You have 3 options as I see it. The first is to buy a new router from Sky, cost about 70. Two, talk Sky into supplying you with a new router foc. You would probably need to threaten to leave for them to consider this. Lastly you could obtain the username and password from your existing router and use them in 3rd party router you buy yourself. You will get one at least equal to the Sky Hub for about half the price. This one for exmple - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W...tp_s2_edpp_url

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank, sending this from phone.....

I have a more modern Netgear router but thought it had to be a sky unit. Not had to go near a router for five or more years so have forgotten more than I ever knew...!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, delay as have been unwell.

Last time at the Sky Broadband location I was still unable to gain a connection, so had to tether my mobile to my tablet to get BB. Sky support unobtainable over two days!!!

Having been back at base, I have found a not very old router that was in store having been replaced by VirginMedia when they installed TiVo and added their own super-router (all for free!). It is a Netgear N-300 WNR2000v2.

Would someone please point me at where I can find the info to get this connected to Sky BB? (it uses routerlogin software as per the Sky unit)

Thanks

I am pretty sure that is a cable router so will not connect direct to ADSL. You can use it by connecting it to the Sky router, this gives an idea how you can do it.-
      Using the DLink DIR613.

I appreciate it is not for your particular router, but the basics are the same.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, it is Cable router..DOH!! So, I obtained a ASDL router, which finds the PPPoA connection at the expected rates, but logging into that connection is a different matter!

Re: from a post above.........."Lastly you could obtain the username and password from your existing router"

How please? I can't find anywhere that says this on or in the software looking at my DG834GT, its not visible in routerlogin.net and the various username/passwords Sky have allocated for various uses do not work?

Thanks

Extracting the password from the DG834GT is easy, just go to this site select your router and put in the details. I would advise copying and pasting from the router status page to the form, then to a document, subsequently copying and pasting to your new router.
      https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

TomD

Useful Utilites