Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SKY HUB SR101 keeps dropping connection

This is a discussion on SKY HUB SR101 keeps dropping connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Everyone, Looking for some advice or perhaps confirmation of what to do next. Just moved into a new house ...

jerryc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry SKY HUB SR101 keeps dropping connection

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice or perhaps confirmation of what to do next.

Just moved into a new house and brought my old Sky Sagem router with us. It had some problems in our old flat where it disconnected intermittently.

It started doing it pretty much straight away when we plugged it into our new house so I asked Sky for a new router and they sent me a new SR101 Hub. Which also started disconnecting VERY often.

So I ruled out the router in my head.

I plugged the HUB into what I think it the master socket - it's the only one in the house with a old Telecom logo on - the old big T with the 3 dots on the cross of the T. You can't open this socket up - well you can but there are just three wires behind it and no other sockets to plug into behind the plate. So I connected the face back on and plugged straight into this socket.

Router still keeps disconnecting.

I tried swapping wires and filters to no avail either.

At this point the router was giving me about 10 mins max before disconnecting and reconnecting.

I turned off UPnP and I suddenly got 28 mins of connection which got me excited, till it went down again.

At the moment it's still disconnecting, it's just done a world record 45 mins and then gone again. Sometimes I get this length of time and sometimes it might be 5 mins.

The service was only commenced at my new house on 2nd December. Should I be expecting this in the first couple of weeks?

Here is a shot of my router stats right now. As you can see I've only been up 10 mins.
      SKY HUB SR101 keeps dropping connection-screen-shot-2013-12-14-11.36.06.jpg

I notice now my downstream speed is 3071, it was hovering closer to 4000 yesterday when I was getting a lot of disconnections.

I've basically been sitting there watching the noise levels like some sort of zombie. When it's about to disconnect the downstream noise just nosedives, goes to a minus figure and then connection lost and back up again. As you can see currently I've got something around 12.3db / 3db it's 11.30am. Yesterday when it was late night it was connecting around 7.7db / 6db.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
      Jerry

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: SKY HUB SR101 keeps dropping connection

I'm now getting about 25 mins each time. It's just gone down again so here's a pic of what it comes back with...

SKY HUB SR101 keeps dropping connection-screen-shot-2013-12-14-11.54.43.jpg

Exchange:
      Thanks

12 mins this time. Upstream suddenly hit 99db and downstream went down to 3db then start to recover. Headed up to 5.8db then next it was -5db and connection lost.

Back up and here I am:

SKY HUB SR101 keeps dropping connection-screen-shot-2013-12-14-12.05.24.jpg
      I'm gonna shut up now as I don't know if these updates will help anyone advise.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Can you bring up the router stats pane then dial a number on your phone, your own number will do. If the noise margin rises and stays up when the phone is dialling that would indicate a possible high resistance fault which should be reported to your phone supplier.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I dialled a number and the connection dropped. Thought it might have been a coincidence. When the connection came back up it's running at about 15.6 / 14.4 and I've dialled out 4 times and it's caused no real change to those figures.

Thoughts?

edit: weirdly the down line atten has changed to 37 from 42, I haven't changed socket...

edit 2: I just did a speed test and my ping is now 88, dl speed 1.28 Mbps

edit 3: connection up for 18 mins now. Noise still running at about 16 / 15, ping and speed improving slightly with each speed test...
      Last edited by jerryc; 14-12-13 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks

edit: weirdly the down line atten has changed to 37 from 42, I haven't changed socket...
      That could also indicate a line fault. Attenuation measures not only the length of the line, but also its condition.

Another thing you can try, if you have more than one socket, is to remove the 'ring' or 'bell wire' in the Master socket. This is the wire attached to terminal 3 at the rear of the faceplate. It is not usually required with modern phones or when connecting a phone through a filter. Just pull it off, being careful not to disturb the wires connected to the 2 and 5 terminals.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok thanks give me a few mins I'll do it now

Edit 1: ok 3 pulled out 2&5 still in. Should I reboot the router or should I just expect changes?

edit 2: this seems to have certainly improved the dropping off (I've been on solid for 36 mins now) but my speed has dropped to bout 1.5 Mbps. I have not rebooted the router yet, not sure if I should

edit 3: just found out the wife was downloading a tonne of stuff from the on demand sky service. Arrrrrggggghhhhh! Gave her a bit of grief and told her to stop all downloads, speed is back up and ping back down to 32, noise still at 15.9 / 15.1 and connection still stable.

Is this good?

edit 4: been up for a good hour now and nothing much is changing. I'll leave it for you to give me your expert wisdom. Cheers for the help so far.

edit 5: still up after 8 hours, weird seeing as all i did was make a phone call and remove the bell wire. this is what i am running at at the moment:

SKY HUB SR101 keeps dropping connection-screen-shot-2013-12-14-23.54.31.jpg

ping is 30ms DL speed is approx 2.70 mbps, up 0.92mbps. I'd like it faster but I'm too scared to reboot the router in case it starts disconnecting again haha
      Last edited by jerryc; 15-12-13 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks

If it hasn't rebooted itself, reboot it now. You should get your speed back.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Tom, I called Sky and they tested the line and said it should be capable of 9 meg. They rebooted the router with me and said they could not just ramp the speed up in one hit and they would increase it slowly over the next ten days to keep the line stable.

We shall see.