Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Improve poor upload speeds.

This is a discussion on Improve poor upload speeds. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I'm on Sky BB unlimited and im getting some poor speeds. Particularly upload. They tell me I should be ...

Valiceemo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi
      I'm on Sky BB unlimited and im getting some poor speeds. Particularly upload.
      They tell me I should be getting over 13 Mbps DL.
      I am less than 1 mile from the exchange. Looking on samknows.com
      Just got of phone with them and they are sending me a new router. Just wondered if anyone had any tips to better my upload speeds as it takes forever to upload a video and pics to my google drive.
      Speed results:

Inssider info:

Router stats:

2004 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Zetec

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Improve poor upload speeds.

It looks like you do have a 13mb connection (see the figures in your router's stats), however the speed test you are running is over WiFi and will not be that reliable. I am worried about the noise margin on the download side though. 0dB is not a good sign.

If you have a laptop or desktop, connect it's Ethernet port directly to your router and ensure that the computer's WiFi is off.

Next navigate to Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and run some tests from there.

FTTC is available in your exchange. You may wish to consider upgrading at some point. Apart from anything else you would get a new router. The one you are using is a WiFi g router which again isn't great. The new routers are WiFi n and not only offer a faster connection speed for WiFi, but the signal will be stronger too. Of course you would need a suitable WiFi adaptor to benefit from WiFi n too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

ok, not sure i understand all that!
      Even when i connect the lappy to router with Ethernet the speeds dont improve much.
      The sluggish DL speeds are OK for my needs, but i really would like better upload speeds, if i upload a 30 second video, shot on iphone it can take upwards of 1 hour.
      As i predominantly use WiFi its this speed im more interested in. But as i say, its an improved upload speed id like and need really.

How, indeed, if i can, would i increase the 0db noise margin?
      what is FTTC?
      does the new sky router use WiFi n? If so how would i utilize it?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3150602199

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

You really won't get much faster upload with ADSL, so you'd have to upgrade to FTTC (Sky Fibre) if it's available in your area.

How big is the video file, depending on which Iphone you have if it's recorded in HD mode it can generate a fairly large file even for a short video.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Ok, firstly the low noise margin may indicate an issue with your connection. A good starter would be to do a "quiet line test" to see if there is a lot of background noise.

Using a corded telephone plugged into the Master Socket dial '1' and listen carefully. Ideally it should be silent, but there may be some faint background hiss. If it is too loud there you have a line fault.

Change the microfilters. If you have been using the same microfilters for more than a couple of years, get them replaced. An ideal replacement would be the VDSL faceplate. Whilst a little more expensive, it works really well with ADSL connections.

Changing the microfilters to a filtered faceplate is good. I understand that there is a new Maplin in Huddersfield now and they may have some in stock. Alternatively run-IT-direct can supply them too.

You may need to make a friendly call to Sky to get them to trigger DLM on your line once you have done all this.

FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) is basically able to provide either 40mb down and 10mb up or up to 80mb down and 20mb up. For a better estimate use the checker on the BT Infinity site:

Fibre Optic Broadband – Infinity Superfast fibre packages – BT.com

You will need to use your address to get a good estimate. I have seen some limited to 40mb in your area though, even when it used to show higher.

Sky's Unlimited Fibre Broadband product is limited to 40/10. Sky's Pro product is limited to 80/20. What you actually get depends on your distance to the Fibre cabinet, not the exchange.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you resync your router (switch it off then on) it should come back with a more sustainable speed. I am surprised it did not drop out and resync on its own. The very low margin would cause errors which could drastically slow down youur connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I've reset the router a hundreds times and it's not helped the speed.
      I won't be going fibre anytime soon. Can't justify the costs for how I'd use it.
      How can I diagnose the low noise margin?
      I have pre filtered socket. Telephone line into it and router direct into it.
      No noise at all on land line.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I've reset the router a hundreds times and it's not helped the speed.
      It will not help your sync speed, but it may improve your actual throughput. If you are resetting or booting the router and it is still coming back with a zero or very low noise margin then there is something amiss with the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It will not help your sync speed, but it may improve your actual throughput. If you are resetting or booting the router and it is still coming back with a zero or very low noise margin then there is something amiss with the router.
      I suspected this.
      Maybe the new router will improve things.