Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

IP block or routing issue on Sky?

This is a discussion on IP block or routing issue on Sky? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good Afternoon, I have signed up to this forum to ask some people well defined on Sky systems whether there ...

MaxC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hampden Park
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Good Afternoon,

I have signed up to this forum to ask some people well defined on Sky systems whether there is a possbility that Sky have blocked our IP address or might possibly have an ongoing issue.

I work in the IT dept for a company in the UK nothing tech wide just ductwork :-) but I had a call this morning from one of our staff at home saying they could not access the Terminal Server from home and their phone wasn't sending/receiving emails. So I went through all the normal checks they have internet connectivity etc and using GoToAssist I got a remote connection to their laptop from our HQ office where I am (which is also where they are trying to connect to), I proceeded to check and found that they could not ping our IP address, access webmail, Terminal Server etc everything was not getting through. So after extensive tests such as disable all security I got them to power on a home computer they had instead of the company laptop and that had the same problems. I logged into their router checked everything out, rebooted it no problems could be found.

Just when I was about to give in I had another user phone in working from home today exact same problems. What do these two users have in common? They are both on Sky Broadband. Since I have also had a third (seems Sky is popular with our staff here)

I have checked our services from various locations including my home (I am with PlusNet) and everything is working fine. We have no such filtering here blocking certain IP addresses and nothing has been changed up updated in a little while I was informed everything worked fine on Sunday and we certainly have not made any changes since.

They can access all other sites i have tested including our web server (located in a data center away from HQ and on a different IP) and our sister companies)

So my question is could Sky have possibly blocked our IP address for outbound traffic from their customers. Is could there be a routing problem etc? I have tried talking to Sky Tech support but they won't talk to me as I am not a customer and instructed me to get the staff to call in but a) they have now all arrived at the office as they could not work from home and b) I know how painful it can be to talk to such call centers and our staff are not very IT skilled and I fear that Sky will just check their internet connection is working and then say there is not a problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: IP block or routing issue on Sky?

It may very well be your servers are blocking the IPs of the Sky users. Sky have a wide range of IP addresses available and some of these are frequently blocked by some servers as not recognised as a legitimate address. It has been a common problem over the past months. Can you discover the IP addresses of the users who cannot connect and see if they are in the same range. Ranges being effected recently are those starting with 2, 5 and 15x.

Although Sky IPs are dynamic they very often can be 'sticky' and difficult to change. Very often the router has to be turned off for several hours, say overnight, before a new address can be obtained.

Have a word with those in charge of your IT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi Isitme, Thanks for your prompt response. While I understand what you are saying I can guarantee its not. I am responsible for the servers and the firewalls here at the office and not only do we not filter based on IP but we have not updated the rules in a long time.

I am in Charge of IT here so I know all our systems and what they are and are not doing so I am afraid its not that.

Thanks

Sorry then, it looks like your site may have been put on a block list. This can happen when a server is identified as hosting child abuse by the IWF. Quite often sites are barred by mistake. I have also seen instances where the Sky router itself causes the problem. Recently a member was unable to access his overseas cameras with the Sky router, but I could with a non Sky router using Sky broadband.

If you are willing and able, PM me an address I can try for you. I am running a non Sky router at the moment, if I am able to connect to your site, that would place the blame on the Sky router.

I am able to enter the home page of hotchkiss.co.uk if that is any consequence.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Hedgehog1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01506
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HDw box X2
      Thanks

If your staff call sky it should not just be a matter of you have a connection and that is it.

If customers cannot access certain websites there are certain checks they would be asked to do but if it cannot be fixed on the call then it would be escalated to the customers solution team who would then log and highlight the issue probably with the NOC who will be able to investigate this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, the hotchkiss.co.uk site is not the one in question that is hosted at another location I have pm'ed you the IP address but there is no website at that location its used for things like email, ftp, terminal services but at very basic you should be able to ping it which our users cannot do at the moment. One of our users is going to phone up tonight and let us know tomorrow how they got on.

Thanks

As I said in my PM, can you check that Respond to Ping is enable on the server. This is often disabled as a security measure.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Yes respond to ping is enabled I tested first thing this morning can ping from my home (PlusNet) and 3 of our sites across the country I tested from. Only Sky users seem to not be able to ping it. Network Admin here so I know about that :-)

Thanks

Tried the .2 address again this morning and it is still timing out.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Yep I have had another two staff members report that they couldn't get on to their emails from home last night (again both on Sky). But as you can see from the below I can ping from my house which was done last night and again just now:

Pinging mail.x.co.uk [x.x.134.2] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from x.x.134.2: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=243
      Reply from x.x.134.2: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=243
      Reply from x.x.134.2: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=243
      Reply from x.x.134.2: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for x.x.134.2:
      Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 25ms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast