Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Problems with Sky Hub - Tried Everything - Help Needed

This is a discussion on Wireless Problems with Sky Hub - Tried Everything - Help Needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am having a lot of problems with my Sky Broadband. I was with Be Broadband previously for 3 years ...

jay1986 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless Problems with Sky Hub - Tried Everything - Help Needed

I am having a lot of problems with my Sky Broadband.

I was with Be Broadband previously for 3 years and never had any issues with connection or wireless. Since joining Sky in August I have once again had no connection problems until 2 weeks ago.

Since 2 weeks ago my connection has continuously been dropping out and I am receiving very slow speeds. When I say dropping out it connects occasionally but will continue to disconnect (every 15-30mins).

When it is connected the speeds are very slow. I normally get 5-6MB and I am now getting 0.5MB-1MB at the most. Videos will barely load, download speeds are down to 40-50k. Making it virtually unusable.

When connected via Ethernet on my laptop the connection seems stable and the speeds are faster (4MB-5MB).

The problem is on all devices when connecting wirelessly (pc's, phones etc.)

I have spoken to Sky several times and been through all the troubleshooting options.

I have tried virtually every Wireless Channel available and none improve the issue. I've downloaded inSSIDer to see what other channels are being used and made sure I've tried others.

I have reset the router several times.

My router is plugged in to the test socket via a filter.

The lights all remain a steady white.

Telephone line works ok.

Although I have 2 other extensions, since these problems begun they have not been in use.

Sky have sent me a replacement router (I also changed the micro filters) which strangely worked like a dream for about 24-48 hours and it's suddenly gone straight back to the same issue. Slow speeds and intermittent connection.

The router sits where it always has since August (and where my previous router with Be sat for 3 years), there are no new devices around it which I can think of that could be causing an interference.

Disabling security seems to make the connection faster. Download speeds go from 0.8MB to over 4. Web pages loading much quicker etc. But obviously this is neither a permanent or safe fix. Anyone know what that could point to?

OpenReach engineer came out (have no idea why as this seems to be a wireless issue). No faults found on the line.

I'm at a point where I'm just thinking of buying a better router.

Latest speed test wirelessly: 0.5MB, via ethernet 5MB

Anybody willing to advise what else I could try here?
      Last edited by jay1986; 16-11-13 at 01:51 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless Problems with Sky Hub - Tried Everything - Help Needed

As a work around, do you still have your old BE router which gave you good wireless speed? If you have follow the instructions here to hook it up to the Sky router. How to connect two Routers together

Alternately get the username and password from the Hub and use them to connect your old router. -
      Sky Hub S101 Username And Password Attempt

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unfortunately I don't! This would have been the best test to find out if it was just Skys router I know, but Be asked for it back when I left them.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I'm afraid your only option is to buy another router, either a cable type you can connect through the Sky Hub or an ADSL one you can connect direct.

The wireless signal from the Hub is poor, no matter what Sky say. When they are set to the same channel my Nexus will connect to my old Dlink 635 on the other side of a 700mm thick stone wall rather than the Hub which is only 2 feet away.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Guess it's going to have to be a new router! Do you recommend any routers? I know the Billion 7800N is rated well. But to be honest I probably won't use all of the features. All I want is a reliable router with an excellent wireless range.