Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Line attenuation and speed

This is a discussion on Line attenuation and speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good morning - new to the forum so hopefully someone can help me. I live in Armadale (West Lothian) and ...

sharpied79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Armadale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Line attenuation and speed

Good morning - new to the forum so hopefully someone can help me.

I live in Armadale (West Lothian) and am on the Sky Broadband unlimited package.

Recently I've decided to do some digging in regards to my broadband speed.

According to the line stats I have a loop attenuation of 47db - which apparently under normal conditions would mean a line length of approx 3.5km (from all the information I can find)

Checking samknows and a number of other websites they all seem to inidcate that even following the line of the road (which I am guessing is pretty much the path the BT openreach cabling will follow) I only live approx just over 1km away from the exchange.

At this line attentuation and with SNR of 3db I have a downstream speed of approx 6.5Mb/s - this seems very slow in comparison to what I believe you should get for ADSL2+ at approx 1km distance from the exchange.

However doing a check on U-switch website for average speeds of Sky broadband in my area it appears that approx 7Mb/s is the average.

How can this be?

Our estate is pretty modern (built within the last ten years - so all underground ducted cables) which I would have thought would mean all copper and not aluminimum and unless they have either coiled up a lot of cable under the ground or been using Coke bottles as bridge-taps I can't understand why my line attenuation stat seems to think the line is approx 3.5km.

I'm a network engineer by trade but even this is baffling me.

At the moment I'm just waiting for Openreach to finish off the install of the new VDSL enabled street side cabinet (and then wait for Sky to hopefully purchase a GEA link) and switch to the FTTC product, but can anyone shed any light?

Regards

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Line attenuation and speed

Are there any differences in your stats when the router is connected directly to the test socket?
      If the speed you get is roughly equal to the expected ADSL2 speed for your postcode area then I would guess that the attenuation you are getting is about right.
      Are there any railway lines, rivers or other obstructions between your house and the exchange? Where bridges exist it is often not possible to run telephone cables by the most direct route. You can confirm this by checking the difference in expected broadband speed at locations either side of the obstruction.

sharpied79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Armadale
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have tried it on both the test socket and internal wiring and both the same. I sorted out the internal wiring the other week as whoever had installed it (I'm guessing the house builder) had made a bit of an **** of it. It's now clean, pins 2+5 only (no bell wire) connected to just one additional socket, properly punched down and using premium quality DSL filters.

After making these changes I saw speed increase to 8Mb/s but this has slowly wound down to the 6.5Mb/s I am seeing now.

There are no major obstructions between our house and the the exchange (that I am aware of) it's a nice stroll on a good day and I can walk down there in about half an hour.

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic about the speed I could achieve - 6.5Mb/s isn't bad I suppose, but it's just niggling at me.

I suppose my question was to ask other people if they have the same kind of issue - if they do and this is just one of those things then I may just have to live with it.

Only other thing I can think of is the master socket has the 26A surge arrestor installed - which I believe removing can make a difference - any thoughts on this?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharpied79 View Post

Only other thing I can think of is the master socket has the 26A surge arrestor installed - which I believe removing can make a difference - any thoughts on this?
      As far as I'm aware the removal of the surge arrestor was implemented to improve VDSL performance. Whilst it may also have some effect of ADSL I would not expect it to yield a significant speed improvement. Check out: Latest NTE5's where this design change has already been discussed.