Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection failure linked to installation of Sky TV??

This is a discussion on Connection failure linked to installation of Sky TV?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all Any advice on the below issue I face would be greatly appreciated: Had the base package with Sky ...

rossfulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hertford
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection failure linked to installation of Sky TV??

Hi all

Any advice on the below issue I face would be greatly appreciated:

Had the base package with Sky Broadband for 9 days when on the afternoon of Sunday 22nd Oct the connection failed completely and has not come back. It was working in the morning. In between logging off in the morning and trying to connect in the afternoon, I had Sky Tv installed by one of Sky's engineers. Could the fact that I can now not connect to Sky Broadband at all be linked to the tv installation??

The actual type of connection failure is also a mystery. When i attempt to connect via wireless, my laptop tells me I have an 'Excellent' connection but I am unable to access any website or login to MSN. The same problem occurs with a laptop connected to the router via a LAN cable. All lights on the router are green except the 'Internet' light which is not lit at all. This suggests to me that it is not a problem with the laptops themselves but the actual connection.

I have been through the usual procedure with cust support and am awaiting a tier 3 call. Not optimistic having read the posts on this great site.

Any advice at all would be great!!

many thanks in advance

ross

2. Advertisement
      vishal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenton Road (LWKROA)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      have you tried logging into the router to see what is reported there.

http://192.168.0.1 admin/sky

Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Is your Sky TV box connected to the same phone socket as your router??

If so, I would check that your router is properly connected to the socket & that the engineer hasn't disturbed any of the wiring etc.etc.

Apart from that there should be no reason why you TV installation has effected your broadband.

Your laptop will still show "Excellent" connection as that is the health of the wireless link & not the broadband condition.

Basically the lack of "i" illumination is telling you that the router is not connected to the exchange

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      One you have checked the sky box is correctly filtered,(swap the filters to make sure) then you could try a full reset using the pinhole at the back of the router. hold it in for about 15 seconds and it will be reset to factory defaults. I suggest this assuming you have done a power down of or router and all pcs/laptops leaving them off for around 5 minutes then reboot them all.

rossfulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hertford
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vishal View Post
      have you tried logging into the router to see what is reported there.

http://192.168.0.1 admin/sky
      Hi all

Thanks for your advice (and quick too!!).

Vishal, I did that when on the phone to cust support and upon testing the connection i got an error message about '(such and such bit of information) not being available' and Error Code:100. At this point cust support then referred to me tier 3 from whom I'm awaiting a call back.

Anyone heard of this error code before?

mombasa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uxbridge
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yup, I have that. No internet light, error code 100 meaning 'No Sync', ie the line is dead.

Try disconnecting all equipment (including your sky tv box) from the phone socket - ie juts have your router plugged in and see if that makes a difference.

I gave up trying to sort this one. Cancelled today but now face a 30 day wait for Sky to remove their circuitry.

Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mombasa View Post
      Yup, I have that. No internet light, error code 100 meaning 'No Sync', ie the line is dead.

Try disconnecting all equipment (including your sky tv box) from the phone socket - ie juts have your router plugged in and see if that makes a difference.

I gave up trying to sort this one. Cancelled today but now face a 30 day wait for Sky to remove their circuitry.
      Yet another cancellation, I'm sorely tempted myself but having come this far I feel I have to see it through...........what a mug I am

sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Unless engineers have loosened any wires as some else mentioned? I have in one socket 3 sky and telephone and extension to other room by trailing wire and it all works...against the odds maybe
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload