Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Help needed with setting up my Sky router just as a LAN.

This is a discussion on Help needed with setting up my Sky router just as a LAN. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'll try and keep this brief. BT in their wisdom have taken my line, which I have had since summer ...

dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Help needed with setting up my Sky router just as a LAN.

I'll try and keep this brief. BT in their wisdom have taken my line, which I have had since summer 2010, and gave it to someone else. Hence I have no phone and no ADSL in my property. My neighbour, who is also a Sky customer, has very kindly allowed me to connect to his router by WiFi, which I am now doing. All this is temporary and should be resolved on November 28th when I am supposed to get a new line.
      However, before I lost my own net connection, I also had several devices connected through my own router by Home plugs. Now, I cannot run both my LAN, using my router, and a net connection by WiFi using his router at the same time. Can anyone please suggest a solution?

Needless to say, I am furious with BT and have spent hours on the phone to them and have got nowhere trying to get my line installation date brought forward. Both my wife and I are elderly and disabled and I have cancer. Does anyone know if there is a direct line to BT or anybody else, who can get the installation expedited?
      Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Help needed with setting up my Sky router just as a LAN.

Sadly Openreach (BTO) do not like to talk directly to the public. The recent item on Watchdog slightly got things wrong and referred to you and I as customers when in truth it is considered that the providers (i.e. Sky) are the customers of BTO.

I would go back to Sky and ask that they DEMAND on your behalf for this issue to be resolved immediately. Of course be nice to the person at Sky, but make it quite clear about how much you rely on both your telephone and landline connection.

I would also encourage you to lodge a complaint with Ofcom at the same time. Waiting 16 days for BTO to fix their error is unacceptable. If you had a line fault they would be able to attend within a couple of days.

As an idea though, you may wish to consider doing this:

1. Save the current settings on your own router to your computer
      2. Set up the router to act as a WiFi hotspot (see link below)
      3. Connect your router to your neighbours router via an Ethernet cable

This would allow everything you have to connect via your own router and share your neighbour's connection. HomePlugs may do it if you were to plug one in your neighbour's home, but this isn't always the case, but worth trying it you can.

How to connect two Routers together

Once you have your own connection back, simple access your own router once more and restore the settings from the file your saved on your computer. If you have never changed any of the settings on the router, pressing the reset button would be quicker and easier.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms