Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will you leave your router/modem/hub running during the storm?

This is a discussion on Will you leave your router/modem/hub running during the storm? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just interested to know what everyone will be doing regarding their internet equipment during the next day or two in ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Will you leave your router/modem/hub running during the storm?

Just interested to know what everyone will be doing regarding their internet equipment during the next day or two in places where the storm is targeting.

I'm on Fibre so have a router and BTO modem, currently in two minds whether or not to unplug it - I'm a freelance web designer so I need to have an active internet connection otherwise it can have an affect my work. I can either not use the internet for a day and lose a days work or chance it and leave it on but potentially be without it for weeks if it gets hit by a lightning strike.

Just out of curiosity, if something like this did occur and either the telegraph pole wiring became damaged due to the wet weather or a lightning strike fried equipment, who would pay the charge? As I understand, as we are not a direct Openreach customer they would not waive a call out charge.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Will you leave your router/modem/hub running during the storm?

If there is lightning in your area it is always better to disconnect (unplug power and phone) all of your telephones/modems. It is also advisable to unplug any sensitive equipment plugged into the power circuit. This includes answer phones, TV and associated equipment and CH boilers etc..

If anything should happen to the phone lines, poles down, manholes flooded etc, then it is up to the provider to fix them, no costs will fall on you. If however your modem is fried due to lightning you may be asked to pay for its replacement as you have not taken proper precautions.

If the weather reports are correct, then parts of England and Wales are in for a torrid time and remember, its no use blaming Sky, they are not responsible for the weather. No doubt, should your services go down, they will be returned as soon as possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

dankargo (27-10-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Will you leave your router/modem/hub running during the storm?

Just to expand on what Tom has written...

BTO are responsible for everything from the telephone exchange to the BTO Modem (including the Modem). Sky would be responsible for the router provided that it is within the first 12 months.

Whilst my week links are in the Ethernet cabling, telephone cable and the feed from my Sky dish, everything else is plugged into a surge protected socket (the terrestrial aerial is in my loft). You can get surge protection for the Ethernet connections. With this in mind, you may wish to insert something between the BTO Modem and the Sky router. This should protect everything on your network, provided that everything else is suitably protected too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms