Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Should I believe Sky?

This is a discussion on Should I believe Sky? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Following a line fault as diagnosed by Sky I have had a new junction box with an ADSL faceplate fitted ...

Deathstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Huyton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Should I believe Sky?

Following a line fault as diagnosed by Sky I have had a new junction box with an ADSL faceplate fitted by BT and have been supplied with a Sky Hub, three weeks later my speed is down to 6.5 meg from 8.5 meg now that line testing has completed. Not satisfied with the drop in performance I spoke to Sky who were at pains to tell me that the 7611 that my line is syncing at was the most I could expect. Strange, I thought, given that my old Netgear DG834 synced consistently at 10235 for many years. They were unable to give me an explanation for that and have only offered to re-run line testing. Currently the Sky Hub is connected at 7611 with an attenuation of 42db down and 23.9db up. Noise margin is at 8.9db down and 13.3db up. If I don't get satisfaction from the first Sky person that I speak to how do I go about escalating my complaint? I had expected new equipment to have at least matched my old set up, advice please.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,587 Posts

Re: Should I believe Sky?

I also changed from the GT to the SR and found the speed exactly the same, with slightly more noise margin actually. With your attenuation you should get 8-9 Mb and you have enough spare noise margin to get you that. There is a chance that your noise margin is going down overnight and causing DLM to set your speed lower. Run Routerstats Lite for a couple of noights and see what is happening with your margin. If it stays level, call Sky and ask them to run DLM training again. If it shows a sharp drop during the night, see if you can find out what is causing it.
      Internet Software

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.