Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Connect & Possible managment issues

This is a discussion on Sky Connect & Possible managment issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We are having problems with our Sky Connect service. We are located approx 400mts from the cabinet and have been ...

davethebb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01233
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Connect & Possible managment issues

We are having problems with our Sky Connect service. We are located approx 400mts from the cabinet and have been getting 6.8 to 7.0meg up until four weeks ago when all of a sudden there have been periods when it drops to 0.75meg and becomes very eratic. I have contacted Sky and they have ben very helpful is so far as they have checked the line (phone line is quiet no noise), they restarted DLM, sent out new filters and a new router, and also reset the line but none of this has made a difference. I'm not certain if the line is being restricted in any way and I feel that it probably isn't as I have seen speeds upto 7meg during the day. I noted on an earlier post that Sky had a broadband engineer to look at someones else problem. so my questions are: Is there anyway of catagorically knowing if the fluctuations are down to traffic management or do I need to have an engineer out and if so is there a charge for this?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect & Possible managment issues

If it's only slowing down in the evenings then this is traffic shaping
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I would say it is mainly in the evenings (possibly not every eveneing) and sometimes during the day - again not every day and not all day. Just very eractic. The SKY help desk did say that they have had a spate of these calls which leads me to believe that it may be somethings else?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You best bet is to use the official BT Speedtester. Do several tests at different times of the day and keep a record of them. You can also run a further diagnostics test if your speed is low. BTW Performance Test

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi TomD, I have been trying this over the evening and find that it is generally around 0.5meg. I have tried the further diagnostics by it always says it is unable to carryout the test, try later. I will try first thing in the morning and during the day. If the line is managed would be as low as this e.g. 0.5meg from 7 meg and are the times managed lines always between 4pm and 11pm?

Thanks

If the line is managed would be as low as this e.g. 0.5meg from 7 meg and are the times managed lines always between 4pm and 11pm?
      It is entirely possible. In fact, if you have exceed your download limit (1.3gb per day) then it could be applied at all times.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi TomD,
      I have been monitoring the line all day and it has been good at around 7 meg (I will try around 4pm). I have spoken to Sky and they have confirmed that amy Sky Connect is now managed. However the person I spoke to was vague becuase they also confirmed that i hadn't exceeded the limit - I am well under - they then went on to say that all Sky connect are managed. Would you know if they are ALL managed or if there is a a way of removing the "managment" becuase it is is very slow -0.2mg in the evenings sometimes slower.

Thanks

How much you are 'managed' depends a lot on the exchange you are on. If it is a quiet exchange you will hardly notice it, it looks like yours is a busy one which is heavily throttled. There is no way of removing the management apart from finding another ISP who is not as strict with capping. This is what I usually recommend to those unfortunate enough to be on Connect. There is no real reason for persevering with it, it is unlikely to get any better and certainly is not the cheapest option around.

TomD

Useful Utilites