Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Line Testing

This is a discussion on New Line Testing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am trying to understand how the Sky Broadband Connection Testing works. As background, for many years I have had ...

castro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hythe, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New Line Testing

I am trying to understand how the Sky Broadband Connection Testing works.

As background, for many years I have had a “noisyish” telephone line which resulted in a stable broadband synch speed of approx. 13Mbs with the noise margin at or around the Sky router setting of 7. Downstream Line Attenuation is around 25dB.
      About three weeks ago at certain times of the day, the noise levels on the telephone line increased to such an extent that phone calls were impossible. The router would drop out which resulted in the noise disappearing only to re-appear when the router re-connected, albeit at a much lower than the previous speed.
      I contacted Sky and went through all the usual procedures and Sky did a line test, which showed that the line noise was within limits. I only have two connections to the master socket, one telephone and one router.
      As the noise disappeared when the router was disconnected Sky, not unreasonably, diagnosed a faulty router. I remained somewhat skeptical about this but agreed to have a new router.
      Three days later, the new router was connected, but the problems remained as before.
      Sky then arranged for a telephone line engineer to come to my home to check out the line.
      He came, he saw, he tested and basically said the line was not the problem.
      Sky then arranged for a broadband engineer to visit.
      When I explained the problem and showed him the disconnect records over the previous days he very quickly diagnosed a potential high resistance issue which he confimed after doing some more tests. This inbalance was producing interference between the telephone and broadband signals.
      He ended up changing a pair of wires at the distribution box about half a mile away. Apparently, there was a line fault between the exchange and the distribution box which had probably been getting progressively worse over a number of years. Problem solved.
      When the router synched, the speed had increased to 14.5Mbs.
      Following conversations with Sky, they increased the cap on my line to 18 Mbs and the router then synched at a download speed of 16.5 Mbs with a noise margin of 7.3.
      Sky then said that the line would be tested over the next 10 days to achieve the best stable speed.
      I have checked my router regularly over the first five days. There has been no disconnects and the router stats have been:

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16449 kbps 1212 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.0 dB 12.8 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 7.7 dB

My question is how can this automatic line testing happen if the router does not disconnect?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: New Line Testing

It may not have started. When DLM training is running your router will resync with the exchange between 2 and 3 AM. Note the system does not reboot, so watch the WAN up time in your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is the WAN up time the same as the time shown in the Connection Status Panel?
      At the moment both figures are the same 124 hrs 26 mins, which is the time from when the new line connection was made.

Thanks

The time shown in the top line of the chart.
      System Up Time: 46:32:55
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 114776 156945 0 1177 1228 14:22:57
      LAN Up 558435 398602 0 404132 15708 46:32:55
      WLAN Up 164226 24217 0 809 0 46:32:35

For instance the WAN up time here is 14H 22M 57S

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for replying.
      My question is more about understanding how DLM training works as opposed to having a problem.
      My line is shown, in My Sky, as currently being tested.
      The telephone line was repaired and the router re-connected around 12.00 pm on Thursday 17th October.
      That was when the line testing was started by Sky.
      I have checked the router stats regularly and apart from the uptime increasing, they have remained the same.

System Up Time: 185:28:00
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 39228138 26813760 0 227 4226 164:24:10
      LAN Up 2802503 1815429 0 76498 22843 185:28:00
      WLAN Up 1127627 146180 0 9092 0 185:27:34

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16449 kbps 1212 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.0 dB 12.8 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 8.8 dB

The WAN uptime remains the the time from the re-connect.
      In order to do a speed stability test, which I assume will increase the download speed until the noise margin is such that the connection is unstable, does the system have to disconnect and reconnect the router?
      As such, the WAN uptime will be reset.

Sorry about the table formatting.

Thanks

Your line has not resynced for a week, which suggests to me that DLM training is not active on your line. There are 2 distinct phases of DLM. The first is the training period where DLM tests your line, basically it does this by lowering your noise margin until the line is unstable, then pushes it up a bit until it stabilises. It can also increase or decrease the power output to your line, which has a direct effect on your noise margin. The resync, not reboot, is done in the early hours between 2 and 3 am. That is line training in a nutshell. The second phase of DLM starts when the training period is complete. This constantly monitors your connection looking for problems. If it finds a problem, it will reduce your speed until the line stabilises. In theory, when the problem goes, say by having a fault fixed, it should push the speed back up again, but unfortunately this seldom happens. In most cases the user has to call up to get the line reconfigured.

I would say although DLM is running on your line, it is not in training mode and will not increase your speed. If you want more you will have to call and talk the Sky help into restarting training on your line.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info.